switching from 904 to a A500 or A518, anyone done this?

-

wicked340

Reaction score
I would like to switch from my A904 to either a A500 or A518, witch is better to do and what is necessary for the swap other than a drive shaft, or maybe other OD options so it is tamer on the high way 😊

I just did, looks like it's not terrible, I think I'm gonna do 518

If you do the 518 deal, wherever you get your transmission from, grab the lines. You need 3/8 lines or you risk cooking it. Get a good cooler. I am in the middle of this swap and still grabbing a few parts. If you get a 518, and get it rebuilt, make sure they drill a bigger hole in the input shaft(not sure if that is the real name). After searching high and low for a NLU, I actually kinda wish I had I did get a LU. Took me forever to find a NLU. Lots info out there.

Jason

I did the 904 -> 518 swap.
Although I wished I had used a 500, they are hard to find here.
The 518 is a heavier transmission (internals) and that has an effect on mileage.

LockUp or Non-lockup is only a convertor issue.
I have used both types in my Dart without issues.
The Lockup-version comes closest to a 5-speed transmission.

I'm running a non-LU currently with 3.55 gears in the rearaxle.

The 518 is a heavier transmission (internals) and that has an effect on mileage.

The Non-LU would have an effect as well. The internals likely do affect mileage as well as performance. (904 transmissions are quicker in the same combo) The gravy is that while basically all 500s are LU- they also all have the steep 1/2 gears. 2.74/1.54 as opposed to 2.45/1.45.

500s can be a bit hard to find- but it's worth remembering that while the 518 was always the 46RH/RE the 500 was the 42RH/RE, the 44RE, etc. 6 cyl overdrive trucks- especially Dakotas are also potential 500 donors as well as 6 cyl vans if so equipped. 6 cyl as in 3.9 so the Chrysler-designed bodies would be a safe bet 6 or 8 cylinder if OD- I think they also put 500s behind Mitsu motors and that wouldn't bolt up to an SBM.

What I've been much more intrigued about seeing is the possibility of using a standalone controller (especially the merits/complexity of a Megasquirt setup) on a 545RFE to go behind an SBM.

A good friend of mine has a 518 I'm gonna go look.At tonight, and I have a huge cooler and larger lines on the 904 now, I really need the OD it will taim the 410s down and I'll talk to the guys that built my 904 about drilling the shaft, thanks for the info and the links ��

I built a 518 for the Dart,> Street/ Strip
with a JW bell
with 618 internals, (to get extra clutches and 5 pinion gear sets)
used the 1/2" cooling lines from the Cummins trans
and the cummins trans cooler

016_zpsbm6ynawy.jpg

006_zps8iaqll3u.jpg

Also raised the floor to install a safety shield
The front floor pans are factory height
only the tunnel is raised

running a BB Stroker > 540 with a Dana> 3.55 gears

025_zps71b26119.jpg

039_zps17794be7.jpg

034_zps8c61b6fa.jpg

My next project ,
I'll be using a A-500
(more of a cruiser car)
73 Cuda,
340, A-500, 8 3/4 with 3.55 gears

What do your RPM's look on highway?

Big Block, what tires are you running? I have 3.55s and am considering 17s from year one. Was thinking I needed to switch to something in the 3.9ish range, but your rpm may have changed my mind.

I'm currently running 225/50-17" Goodyear Vector tires.

The smogger 318 I have in the car doesn't have much low end torque, so the 3.55 helps with that.
I am in the progress of building a 10.5:1cr 360 at the moment, and I think 3.23 gears might work as well with a stronger engine.

-
Back