Switching to Disc Brakes

-

jrcr_15

Reaction score
Been doing some research into potentially upgrading the brakes on my 72 Duster to disc brakes all around.

What options are out there? I know of the obvious wilwood and have seen what Dr. Diff has to offer also. Really looking for some options.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Thanks in advance

I like Dr Diff. I have the 13" front kit and 11" rear drums. May someday do the rear in discs but sine they are 25-30% of your braking capacity upgrading the front is a better place to start.

What do you have now?

I spent about a year piecing together my own brake system which in the end equates to Dr.Diff's stage 2 front brake kit (single piston calipers with 11.75" cordoba rotors) I think I saved less than $100 when it was all said and done, not including the countless hours searching junkyards and removing the 50 years worth of rust and crud and having to rebuild everything myself. Next time around I wouldn't think twice about just going with one of Dr. Diff's kits. I heard he is coming out with a Viper front brake kit that uses Mercedes rotors, that sounds like fun.
If you want just options, I have heard good things about CPP and SSBC, I think they're both on summit/jegs. Can't really go wrong with wilwood if you have the $$ for it. It all really depends on how big do you want to go vs. how much $$ do you want to spend.
anyway, just my $0.02

I went with Doctor Diff with the bigger Rotors. Easy to get replacement parts at you local auto parts store. Vs ordering from Summit and waiting 3 days for the parts to ship.

If you want the high priced brake kits. Just get a sticker and slap it on a side window. No one is ever going to look when your doing the speed limit on the roads.

Just looked at stage 1 for my 70 Swinger. No master cylinder listed as available. May be I missed something.

Last edited:
Wilwoods one of the best upgrades I made on the duster..that factory crap don't come close..

Rear disk kit. Doctor Diff.

20160723_223338.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have dealt with Dr. Diff before and had no complaints. If I move forward I'll likely go with him again

Scarebird has the least expensive kit and it keeps your drum spindles and upper control arms. If your ball joints and bushings are fine, that is the easiest approach.

-
Back