T18/T98 swap?

-

paulclark

Early A fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve been looking but don’t see any options for connecting a MOPAR engine to a T18 or T98 gearbox. Am I missing any?
Otherwise seems like it’s a matter of reaming out a MOPAR bellhousing for the 4.684 input bearing cover, drilling mounting holes in the bell, and being ready to chop the input shaft and use the shoulder mounted bearing instead of a bushing. Am I overlooking anything?

These are truck transmission with a granny 1st gear. Are you considering putting one into an A-body?

These are truck transmission with a granny 1st gear. Are you considering putting one into an A-body?
Sorry no, this isn't an A-body question and I apologize. This would be for a 68 m715 military Jeep that had a 232 swap at some point. I'd like to give it a V8 for working power, LS swaps are of course very popular but I'd rather go with a mopar engine if possible, but vintage mopar Jeep swaps are rare.

I don't think Mopar ever used this transmission in it's trucks so there's no OEM adapter. Novak might be able to help if you call the but they don't list an adapter. They do have so useful info on their site The Novak Guide to the Borg-Warner T98 Transmission

If it were me I would use a NP435 or similar from whatever Dodge truck you get your engine out of. I also wouldn't go too nuts engine wise. A stock 5.2 Magnum with EFI would be my pick. A bigger more powerful engine will use a lot more fuel for a little gain in performance. A Jeep 4.0L would also be worth looking at if you already have a 232 in there. The 4.0 will make plenty of power, has EFI, fits in the hole well, and loves to run 3000+ RPM where the 230 OHC starts getting fragile.

The only "I think I remember" it was a T18 swap I bought and never used--for a Jeep transfer case came out of an IHC of some sort, might have been a Scout. 'I think' they had a longer input shaft is why I bought that.

So far as adapting, it's a matter of building what fits. You need to make sure that the splines will engage the clutch, and that the pilot has enough length to at least reach the converter bore to have a pilot bushing/ bearing. Easiest to work with a scattershield because you can weld ears/ etc if necessary.

It's been a long long time since I did any of this.

-
Back