T56 Shifter Upgrade??

-

DionR

Reaction score
Just curious if any of the people that have swapped a T56 Magnum into their rides have also upgraded the shifter?

Just took advantage of the 10% discount from SST and watched a swap video (on a Mustang, man do they have it easy) where they used the American Powertrain White Lighting shifter. Just wondering if the Magnum needs it.

No plans to upgrade mine, just curious if anyone has though.

I removed my American Powertrain shifter from my magnum and got a factory Tremec shifter. It’s one of the nicest shifting transmissions I’ve driven now

I removed my American Powertrain shifter from my magnum and got a factory Tremec shifter. It’s one of the nicest shifting transmissions I’ve driven now

Interesting. So you actually went the other way.

Thanks!

Directed at anybody with a t56 in an A body

My SST quote included the following before I removed it:

SLA-00500 10" Layback Shifter Stick, Billet aluminum, Brushed Aluminum finish. For all TKO500/600 and Magnum Transmissions. Also available in black anodized finish

The Modern Driveline quote had this one:

MD-320-2040 Shift lever, Hurst, Chrome, Classic style 10x5.5x1.3, 3/8'-16 thread

And the American Powertrain had this, no part number though.

10" round stock shift handle for TKX/TKO, T5, Magnum with reducer. Tilts toward driver like OE

Here is the list of parts @goldduster318 used. It includes the stick, I think he just labeled it as "shifter"

T56 Magnum Conversion

And @72bluNblu looks to have use the original Pistol Grip that was on the A833 he replaced.

My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

Yup, I have a ‘71-74 non console B-body pistol grip on my T56. I shortened it about 1.5”, I just drilled new mounting holes above the original ones and cut the bottom off.

It’s still pretty tall so it makes for a longer shift, an E-body pistol grip would probably be better but the angle of the pistol grip would have to be adjusted.

And I just use the tremec shift box that came with the transmission, I haven’t had any issues with it. It shifts well enough that I haven’t considered upgrading it, if I change anything at all it’ll be the handle

-
Back