T56 Trane mods

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
2 main questions

1) Are all t56 the same ? All used ones I can find are from corvettes. I want to not buy. 4-5k one more like 1-2k one on eBay but they are all from chevys

2) anyone ever put a t56 on a slant 6 ? If so What bell housing.

Several varieties of Chevy ones. Early ones were pre-LS late 90's units and bolt to small block chevy. Then the next were LS ones then they revamped them to T6060. Vettes & Cadillacs use different units that won't work for most swaps. I would look at the new TKX 5 speed unit. Smaller and ol' school bellhousing mount. Should be able to adapt much easier.

Vipers are the better ones. However before 08
In 08 they switched to the tr6060 with remote shifter. It can be adapted though.

Ebay viper transmission

There are bellhousings for mopar to the ls style t56. Never seen one for the slant 6 though.

Also keep an eye on gear ratios. The .5 overdrive may be too extreme.

You could use a QuickTime bellhousing, modified, to connect it to a Slant Six.

As noted above, the T56 is somewhat of a mess when it comes to ratios. For most vehicles, the 6th gear is just too tall. On a Slant Six car....I think it would be unusable.

The best ratios came in the Hellcat Tr6060....the 6th gear is around .77. In that trans, all 6 gears are truly viable gears.

I don't mean to be a dick, but this is one of those questions where if you have to ask....it's probably beyond your budget and capabilities. Couple that with the fact that it's not the best trans and it is a non-starter.

Also, the T56 is gonna be a lot heavier (weight) than you'd need for a Slant Six. Most also don't have a gear type speedo drive so you'd have that to contend with, too.

As everyone else said, the T-56 are heavy and big. Looking from the side, they are tall, and from the top they are wide. Many don't come with cable speedo drive. I don't remember correctly now, but I think the Vette had a rear transaxle, so their T-56 were not easily adaptable to "normal" rear drive cars.........hence why you may see them cheaper.

2 main questions

1) Are all t56 the same ? All used ones I can find are from corvettes. I want to not buy. 4-5k one more like 1-2k one on eBay but they are all from chevys

2) anyone ever put a t56 on a slant 6 ? If so What bell housing.

So I could not for life of me find a a230 for a body or Anyone to rebuild one f I found one . So I got a A833 and brewers Is building it for me for drop in for my duster. Way to much trouble to have a decent trans in this car. I don’t need or care about fast but this 3 on tree is fun but total garbage. And was no option it seemed . Even putting a automatic in it seems way to hard considering it came with one. Mopars drive me crazy sometimes lol .

-
Back