Tach location

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my tach install.I didnt want to drill any holes,and the old hose clamp around the steering column wouldnt work with the 3 on the tree.I also wanted to keep it kind of hidden,sleeper style.So what I did was use one of the screws in the gauge bezel.I just used a little bigger screw and Voila !!!!!!!!
I thought it came out pretty cool,and can see it perfect when driving.

The tach is a Auto Meter Sport-Comp 2 5/8".
Cost:$94.95

Now if I could get rid of that ugly *** cracked dash pad,anybody have one?

Picture 268.jpg

Picture 267.jpg

Picture 266.jpg

Looks good dude. Good thing it's not a heavy one. Best check your screws now and then as she may come loose on ya.

I can't sell you one, but I have found a few over the years at yards. Just had to clean with rubbing alch, then respray with vinyl paint. :thumbup:

Not bad.. i also have 3 on the tree and mine work super duper

PDR_0560.jpg

mines hose clamped.. walmart brand.. 20bucks worked great till i took it out.
lite up in blue green red and white

PDR_0560.jpg

But if you do it this way you can cover up that hideous dash crack and everyone will think that you have the only a body with a nice dash pad.

tach bracket small.jpg

Jeff,I see we both got that no carpet look.

Duster Don looks like you be hunting bear !!!!!!

Johnny Dart said:
Jeff,I see we both got that no carpet look.

Duster Don looks like you be hunting bear !!!!!!

ya there was a puddle on the pass side when i bought the car, ripped out the carpet now shes in the garage getting her body redone...

No problem getting a big ol 5" on the column with a hose clamp and having it tuck under stealth like. Column shift also. Don't worry about that little B&M on the floor. There is nothing to see here, please disperse.

DSCF6467 small.JPG

Mine going on the column also. I still cant decide if Im keeping the column shift or going to use my SCS shifter.

Another great place is the bottom attaching hole on the drivers side a-pillar. That's where mine will go eventually!

Easy and cheap way to fix the cracked dash is to get one of the Dashtop dash caps. I put on on my Duster and you don't even now it's there:

Interior4.jpg

Duster 318,
Thanks for the pic of the dash cap.I asked about one of these in a different thread,but didnt get all the answers I was looking for.
Where did you buy yours? Cost?
I have been thinking about one of these.
Does it just glue onto the old dash?

Little info on the cap would be appreciated.

Thanks !!!!!

I got mine from Harden's Muscle Car World and it was a round $50. I have installed 4 of them so far. Mine and 3 for friends. Yes it glues onto the exsisting dash. Make sure you paint or dye the cap to the color you want before you put it on. First thing you need to do is test fit the cap and trim anything on the exsisting pad or cap to make it it fit tightly and correctly. To prepare your exsisting dash you take a razor knife and cut off all the raised edges around your cracks and clean it with rubbing alcohol or something to remove all the grease and oils. Then you take some scotch brite pad and rough up the inside surface of the dash cap. Take the glue and put a bead around the edge (about 1/2" in) on the dash cap and put it on. You might need some clamps and tape or something to wedge around it to hold it on tight.

Dusterb318; Do you have a link to the dash cap place? My cp looks like Berlin after the war. Hammered!

Ace; LOL, I think so, so far. As long as you can see it well, and it dosen't cause a problem when driving, it'll be OK I think.

Johnny Dart; Good thinking, good looking.

http://www.hardensmcw.com/

Just call them up...they have it listed under the interior parts but there isn't a price. They are all over eBay too but I don't know the quality of the eBay ones. I believe the Paddock carries them too.

Duster 318.....Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!

Rumble.....Thanks !!!!!!!

I used the clamp to the column method, but I covered the clamp neatly with black tape.

73 340 Dart Sport 011_640x480.jpg

Location in my 66 valiant works well here. I can see the mph and mileage meter :cheers: This is a temporary hang to see where I want it.
Thank you ramcharger :cheers: For gifting me with this great white face Tach:happy10::happy10::happy10:
When I get the new 4 barrel low deck 170 / dun I can keep an eye on my rpm's. :cheers:

Getting things started to run 4 barrel 005.jpg

-
Back