Taking stock, I guess I have to agree with the wife. I'm a packrat, slob, and I've outgrown my piano

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
The neighbor got the piano about 12? years ago, was going to use it for yard fire fuel until he saw all the brass and stuff in it, asked me if I wanted it. I spent a week or two pulling out all the brass, strings, etc, and set it up as my workbench.. and it's awesome...can pound any damn thing on it and not worry, and it's on wheels so easy to move.
Also got a good chunk of change for all the nice brass as scrap.
Time passed, and I have far more tools and junk (I'm working on not being a pack-rat, and also my organizing skills) that the piano has to go. My plan was to make the top doors lockable, and put doors on the bottom that I could lock too... never got around to doing that.
But, for you guys that don't have a lot of room, and need a good sturdy bench, and a way to lock it up, and have it moveable, check craigs for old pianos. It served me well for a few years.

IMGP7595_res.jpg

Mom had an upright. never seen one converted to a desk! Heavy **** when it was a piano.

You can't see it, but on the doors on the inside I have a piece from under the keyboard screwed into the the door, about 4 inches down from the top. Holes in it, where all my screwdrivers went.. regular on one side, phillips on the other. Wrenches hung on the back wall where I left a few studs, metric left side, US right side.

I can't thank you enough for this post, I know what I am going to do with a dilapidated monstrous upright piano that is in my way right now...

I can't thank you enough for this post, I know what I am going to do with a dilapidated monstrous upright piano that is in my way right now...
They come apart pretty easy. I can disassemble mine down to "2 man" sizes pieces in about 15 min.

My dead uncle Harry was killed by a falling piano...

His funeral was very low key... B-flat....

Cool, this post actually helped someone out! I plan at least cleaning mine out and moving it as I want to put in a decent bench and shelves at some point, so if you want more pics of what I did to it, holler. It was a lot of work pulling all the stuff out, and I'm not sure what the wood is it's made out of, but it sure ate up a lot of cheap drill bits. BTW, this piano wasn't any good before I did this, lots of stuff broken on it inside.

I drilled holes in the boards on the back sides of the top doors for screwdrivers, standard on one side, phillips on the other. I used to keep all the wrenches hanging like in the pic, US on one side, metric on the other. Sockets on the shelf.
@Garrett Ellison

IMGP7600_res.jpg

IMGP7603_res.jpg

-
Back