Tanks Inc fuel level sending units

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
Tanks Inc has the ball float style and the tube style. For those that have installed ball style, do they work well (are they accurate)? Anyone use the tube style? I don't know how those even work. Please share your experiences. Thanks.

The tube type they also use on aircraft. Pretty reliable works of capacitance from the level of the fuel between tow tube. Nothing to wear out or sink.

I followed the instruction for the ball type, it is fairly accurate, seems to be reading low when it get to a quarter full.

The other problem I see with that ball is that it moves too much at inclines and declines. I use it more for a reference when I'm on level ground and in the garage when I start it up I now know how much gas is left. Gen 2 Hemi's are not too economical. So I reset the odometer when I fill up and refuel at approx. 100 miles.

I use the tube type it reads well you flip it up side down connected to test and have a friend sit watching the gage. power side hook up your wire from your old sender to the positive and run the black wire off sender to earth body , chassis where ever you like. I soldered extra wire on the sender side so once tank was mounted I could find a good location for the earth wire. Running the Walbro in tank pump. Are you running EFI ? reason I ask as that tank requires the 8 inch tube sender.

I use the tube type it reads well you flip it up side down connected to test and have a friend sit watching the gage. power side hook up your wire from your old sender to the positive and run the black wire off sender to earth body , chassis where ever you like. I soldered extra wire on the sender side so once tank was mounted I could find a good location for the earth wire. Running the Walbro in tank pump. Are you running EFI ? reason I ask as that tank requires the 8 inch tube sender.
I will be running fuel injection. Does the tanks inc EFI tank require the tube sender because the baffles get in the way of the float sender?

No you don't require the tube type you can use the float type as well. When you look inside you can see the surge tank where the pump fits , a really nice piece . The tank has a breather as well as the pump I ended up blocking the pump breather and used the tank one instead. Ran a small hose with a filter and it lives next to where you mount the sender.The top mat I purchased from Detroit Muscle.
Just to add when your using the float type there are instructions on how to measure and cut to length. Cheers
IMG_3213.JPG

Last edited:
Great info! I've been looking at these tanks as well as the tube sender.

I used their ball float type and it is affected by decel and accel a lot. I have a warning light and I set it at 4 liters on a 68 liter tank, at 1/4 tank the light is always going on and off.

I get that as well but not as severe as your describing .

Tanks are baffled possible senders are too sensitive .

The tank is not of consistent size top to bottom, so none of these aftermarket senders will give accurate readings. The factory gauges are off too, but nowhere near as bad a these new ones. It's something you learn to live with.

I've had my meter match installed for over 2 years with no issues.

I have just enough info to be dangerous. Went with efi. Got a tank from Ricks Tanks in El Paso. Pump has PWM. Pulse Width Modulation i think. Means the pump rests when not under load for longer life. Quiet too. Get your wallet.

-
Back