Tanks inc Tank Vent Question '68 barracuda

-

peterOZ

Reaction score
Hi all, i performed a search here but cannot see any relevant info. I was hoping someone would have had this question before.

I am looking at this tank below in link to suit 68 barracuda .
1968-70 Dodge Dart / 68-69 Plymouth Barracuda Gas Tank

Their site suggests this tank comes without vent. (there is no other option tank for the 68).

I have sent Tanks inc photo of a vent located on my vehicles fuel neck as they requested to see it. I am still waiting for an answer form Tanks Inc with no response.

How have you guys gone around this before?

I am also considering buying their sender . Is this a good product? Currently having issues with my sender .
1963-76 Dodge Dart Fuel Sending Unit

below is photo of my vent , i hope photo comes through

Thanks for any help , guidance.

upload_2021-8-25_14-34-2.jpeg

Not sure what your question is exactly

At least in 67 and I believe up to 70, A Bodies did not have a vent or return line in or on the tank itself.

The tank venting is done by the vent on the filler tube.

That seems perfectly correct. No vent in the tank, vent is in the filler tube. If for some reason you need extra vents, you would need to either get a '70-'71 tank or get a sender with a return fitting.

At least in 67 and I believe up to 70, A Bodies did not have a vent or return line in or on the tank itself.

^^THIS^^ as shown it the photo above

The vent has nothing to do with the tank per se. The vent fitting on the tube goes up high to prevent siphon, then follows down through trunk floor and simply open ends inside the frame rail "I guess" for protection from mud, etc

This changed in roughly 70 in CA with the vapor emissions controls, and about 71-72 federally That of course does not apply to A body barracudas. The 70 CA and 71? 72/ later cars federally had no vent tube in the filler. The vent went up front from the tank and tied in with the "carbon can" system, and the early years of this had vapor separator can in the trunk

upload_2021-8-25_14-34-2-jpeg.jpg

Dana 67 Dart, from what you are telling me , it is safe for me to purchase the Tank with no vent?

Thank you to all who contributed. I will be buying that tank.

Back to my sender question. have you used this sender? does it do the job?
1963-76 Dodge Dart Fuel Sending Unit

u would be better off with an extra vent , instead of no vent ------a new 68 fastback would boil over while filling , used to really piss me off. I used a cr113 tank off ebay, with a standard vent hook up to the filler tube , and an extra that comes out along side the fuel pick up tube , ran it around and up thru the trunk, 2 coils and back down thru the floor , has never puked on this car-------------jfi

u would be better off with an extra vent , instead of no vent ------a new 68 fastback would boil over while filling , used to really piss me off. I used a cr113 tank off ebay, with a standard vent hook up to the filler tube , and an extra that comes out along side the fuel pick up tube , ran it around and up thru the trunk, 2 coils and back down thru the floor , has never puked on this car-------------jfi
Extra vent won't hurt anything. But it is not necessary. The fuel puking is IMHO more related to the smaller dia fuel fillers of today. I wrap a paper towel around the filler and use it as a bit of a stopper with the filler pushed in a bit more than the photo.

Then run pump on slow fill, doesn't spill a drop.
PXL_20210623_235932791.jpg

The tank vent has nothing to do with fuel filling. That is done by the split baffle inside the neck. There is no possible physical way that a 1/4" vent tube can flow enough air to relieve the huge inflow from the fuel nozzle.

The 95 Olds Cutlass Cierra I used to have was terrible. It had a tiny filler that looped around like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster and was awful at filling "at some stations." There was one station here I finally totally abandoned. When you jacked the nozzle trigger it would violently jump in your hand there was so much pressure. I complained three times, then quit going back

family_truckster-1.jpg

Today pumps are a lot faster than the ding, ding, ding, pumps of yesteryear. The station attendant could clean the windshield and check the oil before the tank was filled. "That will be 2.60 and here's your free oven mitt" LOL

That sending unit is the same junk everyone else is selling. It will not read correct level. It will fill the hole but that's about it. Also, the ethanol in the fuel will soften whatever glue they use o hold on the sock filter. So after about a week that will be bouncing around inside your tank.
There is a seller on ebay selling a sending unit for A100 van that is the correct design. It works fairly well but not completely accurate. Its full when it says full but when it hits empty I actually have about a quarter tank left.

There is a seller on ebay selling a sending unit for A100 van that is the correct design. It works fairly well but not completely accurate. Its full when it says full but when it hits empty I actually have about a quarter tank left
I tried and tested on of those and it was no better than the aftermarket ones

My recommendation is if you have an original have it rebuilt. If you don't put up a wanted ad for a OEM unit working or not.

As long as it is not all rusted it can be rebuilt.

The tank vent has nothing to do with fuel filling. That is done by the split baffle inside the neck. There is no possible physical way that a 1/4" vent tube can flow enough air to relieve the huge inflow from the fuel nozzle.

The 95 Olds Cutlass Cierra I used to have was terrible. It had a tiny filler that looped around like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster and was awful at filling "at some stations." There was one station here I finally totally abandoned. When you jacked the nozzle trigger it would violently jump in your hand there was so much pressure. I complained three times, then quit going back

View attachment 1715786384

2 will definitly stop the puking , and a new 1968 fastback had the same filler neck the 68 fastback I have now does , the new one puked fuel everytime I filled it , this one never has ------jfyi

-
Back