Tapered axle removal

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As some of yall know, I have a 65 Coronet. It has the old style 8.75 in it with the tapered axles. Holdover? Swapped in? Doesn't really matter, it's what I have and I am using it. I got the hubs and drums off. No big deal. But what about the axles themselves? It appears that they simply slide into place with the races sliding into the axle housing ends, however, they ain't wantin to come out. Anybody have any tips?

I have heard of people reversing the drum and start the lug nuts and use it to get them started. Sorta like you would use a dent puller.

Oh, do you have that crazy one that you have to remove the center nut to remove the drum? :banghead:

3/4" box end wrench fastened to the axle with the washer and castle nut. Give it a few good smacks from the back side of the wrench.

Gotta remove the drum, backing plate etc.

I got all that layin on the ground, brother. Already tried your method. They ain't budgin.

Yeah. I was thinkin maybe that. I didn't wanna think it cause I ain't got one. lol Maybe I can improvise with a length of chain.

Build a slide hammer. SURELY you've got enough junk around there to do that

Hey Rob, grab a length of small chain and wrap it around the center section and over to the open end of the wrench securing it so that end can't "give". Maybe that would help concentrate the blow more toward the box/axle end and might bust it loose.

Just trying to improvise here.

Can you make a puller, using a piece of pipe, or peices of flat iron,, use the axle threads to pull the axle,,

Swinging a loop of chain and a sledge/axe/maul, tugging on the end of the axle, attached to the axle nut.. (slide hammer of sorts),

I'll come up with somethin. Just trying to avoid spending money. I FINALLY feel motivated and since I had a stockpile of Coronet parts from before I lost my job, I thought I would try to get a few things done. Always somethin it seems. Thanks for the ideas.

If you got a welder and torch,, make a puller like this.. sounds like you got the parts.. Make the hole a little bigger..

Attachments

• P1010043.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 169
  • P1010046.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 164
  • P1010045.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 199
  • P1010047.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 185
Dammit, that's genius. I have everything except an extra axle. lol

I haven't checked the size,, but do you have on of those truck axle bearing nut sockets.. if it's big enuff,, perhaps a piece of ready rod through the square ratchet hole, welded to an axle nut,, flat washer and nut - - get where I'm going?? good luck..

I,m not understanding why you cant slide the drum on backwards and screw the nut and washer halfway on and use the drum for a slide hammer.

This is what a tapered axle looks like without the drum..

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

he's got a point,, put the flange on, and reverse the drum..

I've got a couple of small screw jacks to place between parts such as your hub and housing flange that would pull the axle as the are extended/unscrewed. They really are only a 5/8 bolt and a long nut with fancy ends. Souvenirs of my plant maintenance days in the textile mill. Just another method to consider. I suppose I would cut up a turnbuckle to fabricate something similar and affordable.

-
Back