TCI Transmission is bad

-

68dodge

Reaction score
I have a TCI Competition transmission #112000 with only 60 miles. The transmission temperature out of the cooler went to 190 degrees and started leaking on the front seal. The transmission fluid smells burned, the front pump bushing fell out, ruined my convertor shaft and now there is no warranty. Call TCI and they will not even return my call. Never had a problem before with there transmissions.:banghead:

Mine died after about the same milage. I bought it and it sat in the crate for over a year before it was put into my car. The warranty was up even though it was brand new. I would never buy from TCI again.

I have listened to this tune before. I see no TCI in my future and sorry you had these problems. I hear so little good about TCI.

i have heard all sorts of stories about all the mail order transmissions you can by.
my father has been building transmissions since 1969 and he is the only one around our area that even works on old, old transmissions and the race stuff. It is terrible that they will not answer. hope you can find someone that will fix you up.

Out here in AZ we have channel 3.
They investigate rip off practices.

That's a good amount of money and I'd be after it.

The reverse manual valvebody with trans-brake works fine!

727 and 904's are really easy to rebuild! Done it several times! Kits are around $100...

I assume you had the throttle pressure set correctly??

The reverse manual valvebody with trans-brake works fine!

727 and 904's are really easy to rebuild! Done it several times! Kits are around $100...

I assume you had the throttle pressure set correctly??

This was a full manual valve body, does not need a kick down lever

We got one when we bought the Dart as a project. It was new, bought by the previous owner and lasted about 500 miles. Since there wasn't any warranty available, we took it to a local MOPAR tranny guy in the area. After taking it apart, he called me to tell me that there were so many things wrong with the tranny (mismatched internal parts etc) that I would be better off buying a new tranny. Called Cope Racing Transmissions and am very happy... As for TCI, I personally won't buy anything from them....

I finally got an E-mail from TCI, They want me to send the trans back to them, to see want went wrong. Except I have to pay the shipping. I was wondering if its worth it or not. They will not say what they are going to do if they find something wrong on there part. :banghead:

Hopefully they will man up and fix it.

I finally got an E-mail from TCI, They want me to send the trans back to them, to see want went wrong. Except I have to pay the shipping. I was wondering if its worth it or not. They will not say what they are going to do if they find something wrong on there part. :banghead:

Well that sucks to hear this. I have a brand new street fighter trans #111105, converter, flex plate, cooler and Rattler dampener sitting in my garage awaiting completion of my build.
Sorry to hear about your luck and I hope they step up and fix it if you decide to send it. They should pick up shipping to, bad customer service spreads like wild fire.
Cross my fingers I don't end up in the same boat.

Comp cams brought out tci a few years back. .

Its a high volume mass produce company. I have to think for returns they take a better look at everything. I would ship the trans back if for sure there is just 60 miles on it, has to still look new inside and maybe they be honest and credit you a new trans--which hopefully last a few years -min

but buying fresh from tci, no thanks, go with a smaller company that cares about quality more.

had same problem, they wanted me to pay the return shipping. i had it repaired locally and has told its was junk yard core with a new value body and gaskets.

Got another E-mail from TCI, they are saying that the convertor sounds like the problem! Just because it is not a TCI convertor, it made the pump go bad. I haven't even sent them the transmission. Sound like a bunch of bull to me. Looks like I will buy a trans from someone else.

I went to my local race track and asked around who knew mopar transmissions. Found the guy and he built mine to the hilt for way less than a new transmission. I have driven mine for two years and have never had a problem. He does race an all mopar fuel altered car though guess he knows what he is doing.

Got another E-mail from TCI, they are saying that the convertor sounds like the problem! Just because it is not a TCI convertor, it made the pump go bad. I haven't even sent them the transmission. Sound like a bunch of bull to me. Looks like I will buy a trans from someone else.

Sounds like you'll burn on the shipping costs then. Not good customer service at all.

Good luck with that...they burned me a couple of years ago. Bought a 2500 converter from them for my newly rebuilt 727 and 360 engine. Car had a weird vibration that came and went at various rpm's. Started breaking flexplates. Had driveshaft checked for straightness and balance. When the 3rd flexplate broke I took the converter to my friend that owns the transmission shop that built the trans. First look at it he noticed the converter was for a 400 big block, not a 360. I called TCI, thay said if it had been installed in the car and run it was mine, no warrenty. I just wanted them to replace the converter with the correct one, I wasn't even talking about the time and expenses in broken parts caused by them. Never again will I use or endorse any of their products.
I replaced the converter and all vibrations and problems went away...Larry

Here is another update. TCI is worthless to deal with!! Did not send the trans to them, shipping cost way to much. Plus if they would not repair it. I am out of a trans to rebuild. Took it to a place called Auto Tech. They have done transmissions for a few other Mopar drag racers. Told me the clutches were not set right, the accumilator has a seal missing, the pump was bad even with the front bushing coming loose, and wiped out the bands. $850 to repair.

Sorry for your loss 68dodge, we need to make this a sticky for all members to see especially those considering doing business with TCI. I've known about their work for years and maybe we can save another member from waisting their money.

I'm going to move this to the Transmission Forum.

Thanks for the heads up, granted I build my own transmissions, but with that customer service and lack of quality, I won't buy ANYTHING from them from here on out!
They probably ship the core to China to be rebuilt and then have it sent from China to your door. Sorry for your loss :(

I have a TCI transmission in my Duster and needed to replace the low band and now I have a leak somewhere. (Can't see any fluid leaking anywhere) I need to check the fluid every time I drive my car and top it off. I am searching for another transmission.

$850 to build a 727 is way too much. But that's just my 2 cents worth. Like the other guy said. They aren't hard to build. Can replace all seals, bands, clutches, Steels and bushings for about $150 in parts. I build them for all the mopar drag racers around here. If i can help? Let me know. Good luck!

-
Back