Technical question

-

mrdart

Reaction score
Probably a no brainer for most of you Mopars enthusiasts, but I'm not most...

Can someone who knows Dusters tell me if the tie rod adjusters on ‘73 and up are longer than the tie rod adjuster on the 70-72 year Dusters? The 70-72tie rod adjuster measures around 8 inches in length.
My Duster is a 71 H code that had been converted to '73 front disc brakes and it's short on the tie rod adjustment.

Thank you!

P.S. I apologize if I'm not in the correct forum for my question.

I'm subscribed at best since I've never noticed a difference in adjust bolt length.
I do know if aftermarket torsion bars aren't clocked right out of the box, and or factory bars aren't clocked right at install, there wont be enough adjustment to achieve correct ride height.

Not that I have noticed. I can measure some possibly this weekend (my Barracuda has all the steering linkage from a 73 and is currently out of the car) and I can probably get to my GTS to measure them, but I believe they are the same. Make sure your steering gear is centered first (center of rotation).

A lot of times I check this information by going to the auto parts store website. In this case, I checked www.AdvanceAutoParts.com.
Moog "exact fit" parts for tie rod ends and sleeves are the same part numbers for '71 & '73.
So, for Moog parts, not just the same length, but the same part...
C

I hadn't had enough coffee when I posted here this morn. I read torsion bar adjust bolts instead of tie rod adjust. Sorry

The problem could be mixing 72 steering linkage with 73 lower ball joints. I recall that 73 was the year the linkage changed, with stud nuts are on the lower side of the Pitman and idler arms. Pretty sure the ball joints changed too.

Instead of getting new steering linkage (plus 73+ steering gear?), I would look for longer adjusters. But check for binding and read up on potential issues with "bump steer".

There is enough adjustment to compensate for the different (73+) ball joints. You may have to grind down the nub that serves as a steering stop on the lower ball joint. I know that on the early A the nub stop is too tall and prevents you from turning to full lock.

Instead of getting new steering linkage (plus 73+ steering gear?), I would look for longer adjusters. But check for binding and read up on potential issues with "bump steer".

Shouldn't cause bump steering you aren't changing the location of the inner tie rod so it is still swinging the same arc. You also aren't changing the length, mount, or travel of the lower control arm so no problem there either.

-
Back