temp, alt, oil pressure gauge ideas

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
download.jpg
Helloooooo FABO!!
I have not gotten my dash gauges to function quite yet and my intention is to have them functioning as they should......but Id like to have a backup system. The build is a 'hot rod' theme so this should be easy.

I would like to see some of what ya'll are running as far as mechanical oil pressure gauge/alt/temp gauges. the jobbie that screws to the lower dash is just fine for this and I would like to know what brand, or liquid filled, or vintage.....you get the idea.

As a bonus....include where you hooked up the gauge. Say you are already using the spot for your oil pressure for the dash....where to hook up for the mechanical.....temp....alt....

Hit me!!

Thanks FABO!!!

EDIT: BB 1967 barracuda rallye american autowire classic series. gutted ammeter now reads volts.

Last edited:
First question is, the water temp mechanical or electric?

Been a long time. I think B/RB has a second oil pressure tap, someone will have to confirm, but otherwise just either tee in or replace the stock sender

The waterpump on B/RB "I think" has an extra plug. Mechanical gauges are a paradox. They are all proprietary, and all use a mount/ mushing that must be used with the sender connection. But if you dig around, some of these come in smaller fittings. I think 3/8 NPT is the smallest I've seen

The amp gauge is going to be a problem as the factory wiring is "already" a problem. The basic "thing" with an ammeter is, that disregarding the starter, you want the alternator and all loads on one terminal, and only the battery hooked to the other.

I don't personally see the need to make anything but maybe the gas level gauge working in the cluster.......just run and use the aftermarket gauges, much cleaner engine bay and dash area that way too.

First question is, the water temp mechanical or electric?

Been a long time. I think B/RB has a second oil pressure tap, someone will have to confirm, but otherwise just either tee in or replace the stock sender

The waterpump on B/RB "I think" has an extra plug. Mechanical gauges are a paradox. They are all proprietary, and all use a mount/ mushing that must be used with the sender connection. But if you dig around, some of these come in smaller fittings. I think 3/8 NPT is the smallest I've seen

The amp gauge is going to be a problem as the factory wiring is "already" a problem. The basic "thing" with an ammeter is, that disregarding the starter, you want the alternator and all loads on one terminal, and only the battery hooked to the other.
Hey Del!

I should have been more precise. Yes its a BB. I think mechanical on the oil and temp. I used aftermarket wiring harness so the alternator is one wire and the ammeter now measures volts (gutted and spliced in volt meter), hence the reasoning for having a set of gauges with numbers.
I don't personally see the need to make anything but maybe the gas level gauge working in the cluster.......just run and use the aftermarket gauges, much cleaner engine bay and dash area that way too.

I agree with this, but I have gone down the path of having a stock dash and I like the look. Having a cluster off to the side will be period to the build. If you have a car with that I would love to see where you placed the cluster, style of the gauges and hookup scenario.

Hey Del!

I should have been more precise. Yes its a BB. I think mechanical on the oil and temp. I used aftermarket wiring harness so the alternator is one wire and the ammeter now measures volts (gutted and spliced in volt meter), hence the reasoning for having a set of gauges with numbers.

I agree with this, but I have gone down the path of having a stock dash and I like the look. Having a cluster off to the side will be period to the build. If you have a car with that I would love to see where you placed the cluster, style of the gauges and hookup scenario.
Factory dash still, factory cluster......just have the illumination and the gas gauge working in it.

UWXF5849 (1).JPG

View attachment 1715849253 Helloooooo FABO!!
I have not gotten my dash gauges to function quite yet and my intention is to have them functioning as they should......but Id like to have a backup system. The build is a 'hot rod' theme so this should be easy.

I would like to see some of what ya'll are running as far as mechanical oil pressure gauge/alt/temp gauges. the jobbie that screws to the lower dash is just fine for this and I would like to know what brand, or liquid filled, or vintage.....you get the idea.

As a bonus....include where you hooked up the gauge. Say you are already using the spot for your oil pressure for the dash....where to hook up for the mechanical.....temp....alt....

Hit me!!

Thanks FABO!!!

EDIT: BB 1967 barracuda rallye american autowire classic series. gutted ammeter now reads volts.
I just bought these Speedhut gauges before Christmas on sale. Did some research and they have great reviews.What I like is that you can program high and low warning thresholds. When you order them on the site, you also have an option to change fonts, needle style,sweep and custom graphics.I went with 2 5/8 and will be mounting them under ash tray once the dart comes out of hibernation.RJ

188CBA7A-0FBE-4F4A-BC06-DB6C1529297B.jpeg

Factory dash still, factory cluster......just have the illumination and the gas gauge working in it.

View attachment 1715849258
Are those autometer? white face looks good in your car! I can't see if you are using a bracket that holds all three?

Thanks!
I just bought these Speedhut gauges before Christmas on sale. Did some research and they have great reviews.What I like is that you can program high and low warning thresholds. When you order them on the site, you also have an option to change fonts, needle style,sweep and custom graphics.I went with 2 5/8 and will be mounting them under ash tray once the dart comes out of hibernation.RJ

View attachment 1715849276
Hmmmmm....I think I saw extra wires in the American Autowire harness to support those types of gauges. I think that mechanical would be good for me though. Ill check them out and see what they have.
Thanks!

Are those autometer? white face looks good in your car! I can't see if you are using a bracket that holds all three?

Thanks!

Hmmmmm....I think I saw extra wires in the American Autowire harness to support those types of gauges. I think that mechanical would be good for me though. Ill check them out and see what they have.
Thanks!
Yes they are Autometer, they are silver face, the air fuel ratio gauge is white faced, a single bracket for air fuel gauge since its smaller diameter and was an afterthought and a 2 gauge holder for oil and water

Yes they are Autometer, they are silver face, the air fuel ratio gauge is white faced, a single bracket for air fuel gauge since its smaller diameter and was an afterthought and a 2 gauge holder for oil and water
Fuse and relay panel from Leash Electronics of which you have to wire the car up yourself although I did tie into some existing harnesses like the rear lamp harness and forward lamps and utilized cluster and dash connectors. No factory junction block anymore and the wiring breaks out from inside the car into the inner wheel house encased in plastic heavy electrical conduit and exits thriough the radiator support to feed the front lights, electric fan and horns. No wiring really exposed in engine compartment.

Fuse and relay panel from Leash Electronics of which you have to wire the car up yourself although I did tie into some existing harnesses like the rear lamp harness and forward lamps and utilized cluster and dash connectors. No factory junction block anymore and the wiring breaks out from inside the car into the inner wheel house encased in plastic heavy electrical conduit and exits thriough the radiator support to feed the front lights, electric fan and horns. No wiring really exposed in engine compartment.
Yeah sweet install. I saw a couple of those on here....shoulda...woulda....coulda.....I got to keep going on the track I am on now. Im trying to keep it clean, but admittedly with aftermarket AC, EFI and harness, I have a few rat runs. The focus is to get this thing driving by spring.

I would like insight to places members tapped into for the mechanical water temp probe. Is the water pump the only place? I can 'T' off the back of the engine for the oil.

Thanks guys.

Heres ours Autometer. Sorry for lousy pics. The gauge set mounts directly to underside of factory ac diffuser(not shown). Use existing mount hole works perfectly. Set us voltmeter, mech oil psi with plastic (oh no!!) tubing lol, and coolant temp (elec). Triple gauges dont affect console shift function and suits it.
All factory gauges installed, but only fuel, tach and speedometer hooked up.

20220107_191053.jpg

20211230_105906.jpg

20220107_191945.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks!
Autometer bracket, speed hut gauges. I chose bright green back lighting for night driving as my dart is sub lime in colour.

Yeah sweet install. I saw a couple of those on here....shoulda...woulda....coulda.....I got to keep going on the track I am on now. Im trying to keep it clean, but admittedly with aftermarket AC, EFI and harness, I have a few rat runs. The focus is to get this thing driving by spring.

I would like insight to places members tapped into for the mechanical water temp probe. Is the water pump the only place? I can 'T' off the back of the engine for the oil.

Thanks guys.
I drilled and tapped into the side of the front cover on one of my engines. Used the port next to thermostat housing in the intake on another.

The longer the sweep of the gauge, the better the accuracy. The OP pic in #1 the water temp is barely a 45* sweep. The 90* or 270* gives better resolution. The ones in post 7 look good. I have a 225 Buick OddFire motor in a Jeepster, the only easy pipe plug for the mechanical sender is in the water pump inlet - coldest water from the radiator. The 45* sweep gauge moved so little I thought it was broken. Nope, just needed more resolution. A 90* sweep gauge was way better. Make sure the intake has enough depth for the bulb if using a mechanical gauge. I usually test on the stovetop with boiling water - should show 212 in boiling water, not hitting the bottom of the pan.

For oil, a 1/4" tee and a close nipple will usually let you have a factory sender and a gauge.

OK, "whut?" You lost me.............
Sorry about that, it's been a while with that engine but that was an Arrow aftermarket front cover for an R3 block and they are milled flat on the sides. Looking at an OE front cover they are rounded on the sides and not a lot of meat there so probably wouldn't work the same.

Sorry about that, it's been a while with that engine but that was an Arrow aftermarket front cover for an R3 block and they are milled flat on the sides. Looking at an OE front cover they are rounded on the sides and not a lot of meat there so probably wouldn't work the same.
..............OK you are tapping into the cover for a temp probe? ............Gotcha. The op though, has a B/RB. Many guys use aftermarket stat spacers which have tappings in "horizontally"

..............OK you are tapping into the cover for a temp probe? ............Gotcha. The op though, has a B/RB. Many guys use aftermarket stat spacers which have tappings in "horizontally"
I guess I didn't read the big block part, yes I am running a small block.

-
Back