Temp guage not reading correct??

-

Originalowner73 340duster

Reaction score
Have 72 340 in my car and the temp guage is reading just above low temp and below running range ..but with temp gun motor is running 180 ish and steady no bubbling or issues expept guage ..can it just be messed up and need replacing??.. car was sitting for almost 20 yrs..flushed motor ..new water pump..new alluminum radiator..new intake manifold gasket and hoses..new temp sensor.new heatercore..to tell you what I've done to the cooling system so far..

Bad gauge or sensor, possible buildup corrosion where sensor screws into motor.
While I was working on an overheating issue, I added these to verify the temp, both pretty accurate. the one replacing the radiator cap needs to be touching the fluid to work properly.

Radiator dual guages.jpg

Last edited:
Did not notice anything about a new thermostat. If it is , is it the correct one ? Even a new thermostat may not be opening at the correct temperature. I believe (IIRC) it should be a 185'.
You can check it by placing it in a pan of water on stove and applying heat. Using a candy thermometer check the temperature at which it begins to open. You may possibly need to use a higher rated thermostat (190') ????
Yote

Radiator temp does not equal engine temp. By the time the engine water gets to the radiator the temp will change. You have your external gauge mounted to the radiator which will give u a different reading than the sender mounted to the engine??

treblig

Did not notice anything about a new thermostat. If it is , is it the correct one ? Even a new thermostat may not be opening at the correct temperature. I believe (IIRC) it should be a 185'.
You can check it by placing it in a pan of water on stove and applying heat. Using a candy thermometer check the temperature at which it begins to open. You may possibly need to use a higher rated thermostat (190') ????
Yote
New 180 thermostat..motor running 180 ish constant..

Have 72 340 in my car and the temp guage is reading just above low temp and below running range ..but with temp gun motor is running 180 ish and steady no bubbling or issues expept guage ..can it just be messed up and need replacing??.. car was sitting for almost 20 yrs..flushed motor ..new water pump..new alluminum radiator..new intake manifold gasket and hoses..new temp sensor.new heatercore..to tell you what I've done to the cooling system so far..
If the temp gun is showing 180-ish then most likely the thermostat is working ok. Only another gauge will reveal weather the existing gauge is the issue.

Radiator temp does not equal engine temp. By the time the engine water gets to the radiator the temp will change. You have your external gauge mounted to the radiator which will give u a different reading than the sender mounted to the engine??

treblig

treblig
Using heat gun..temp is lower at radiator than at manifold..

My 72 340 also has a 180' thermostat. Gauge w/new sender shows about the same as yours. Temp gun shows mine at 180' also. I am going to replace mine with a 185' or possibly 190' but I don't think the higher one (190') will be needed.
Yote

put the gun right on the thermostat housing, right at the hose going to the radiator.
180 deg is fine.

If the temp gun is showing 180-ish then most likely the thermostat is working ok. Only another gauge will reveal weather the existing gauge is the issue.
Thanks.. maybe will replace one day.. until then will keep checking with temp gun and guess reli
put the gun right on the thermostat housing, right at the hose going to the radiator.
It's 180's the whole time

I always check the engine temp at the water outlet coming out of the engine and even that is not the temp of the water at the heads but it tells you where the engine is (overall). The factory mounted the temp sender on the intake or on the heads depending on the make/model because they wanted to get as close to the actual temp of the motor.

treblig

My 72 340 also has a 180' thermostat. Gauge w/new sender shows about the same as yours. Temp gun shows mine at 180' also. I am going to replace mine with a 185' or possibly 190' but I don't think the higher one (190') will be needed.
Yote
Ok let me know if your guage changes when you do it please.

The temp is supposed to be lower at the radiator!! In fact, if you check the radiator at the bottom where the water has already been cooled it should be 20 degrees (more or less) cooler....that's how it keeps your engine cool.

treblig

The one replacing the radiator cap is a Mr Gasket, get at any auto store. Again, the fluid level must touch the probe on it to work correctly.

The temp is supposed to be lower at the radiator!! In fact, if you check the radiator at the bottom where the water has already been cooled it should be 20 degrees (more or less) cooler....that's how it keeps your engine cool.

treblig
Yes... working as it should

..any way to chk to see if it's guage or sensor??

Does your fuel guage work
correctly?

If you short the wire at the sender the guage should rise to full hot. Dont leave it there long or you could burn out your gauge (assuming it is a 1 wire sender). The temp guage works just like the fuel guage. Same resistance range etc. 10 ohms = full or full hot. 72 ohms = empty or cold. This will tell you if it is the sender OR the wiring or guage or gauge voltage regulator

correctly?

If you short the wire at the sender the guage should rise to full hot. Dont leave it there long or you could burn out your gauge (assuming it is a 1 wire sender). The temp guage works just like the fuel guage. Same resistance range etc. 10 ohms = full or full hot. 72 ohms = empty or cold. This will tell you if it is the sender OR the wiring or guage or gauge voltage regulator
Yes fuel guage is fine..will test sender ..thanks for info!!

factory gauge or aftermarket?

factory has a calibration adjustment.

my 73 factory gauge reads between dead cold and low at normal operating temp.

The last 2 aftermarket gauges I've installed (different brands) both read very low.

One reads 155 on my stock 318 the other reads 160 on my mild built 440.

correctly?

I was reading this thread and wondering if someone was going to get to this whole resistance deal? I've had the situation where the Gage has to match the sensor. As in both of them have to work on the same resistance scale. Like buying the gauge that matches the sending unit.

Make sure the new sending unit is not the one for the idiot light. O'Reilly (sorry Rusty) sold me the wrong one and I went nuts until I figured that out.

so they gave me a shitty sender??
Looks that way. Check the PN they gave you and see if it is correct for your application. I suspect (rock auto confirms) the same senders are used on a slant 6, 318, 340, and 360 (72 dart) Not to mention a slew of Fords!

One more possibility... You might have a failing ground. When you shorted the sender wire to ground did you short to the engine or to the battery or chassis?

-
Back