temporary garage

-

mad dog

Reaction score
hey everyone, has anyone ever bought one of those temp garages with the tarp walls, i need to keep my project Duster out of the elements this winter. Can someone recommend a certain manufacturer or which ones to stay away from... ive been reading some reviews online and for the most part people are saying they suck but i would rather hear the good the bad and the ugly from the FABO family...Rich

Do you get snow?
Freezing rain?

My concern is with a buildup, it could collapse on your car.

That's a lot of weight.

A shipping container might be a better bet just have to do something to keep moisture (don't read that as water) out.

A window AC unit and some internal insulation might do the trick.

My brother and I bought one from Costco to cover my dad's '70 cuda that was sitting outside. The first winter it blew about 6 houses away in the wind and got completely destroyed. We bought another identical one and tied a cinder block under each post to raise it a little along with 1 sandbag per post to help keep it down and it sat outside in the elements for about 6 or 7 years before we were able to get decent interior storage for the cuda. The 2nd one held up about as good as we could have expected and it might have had a couple more years of life left in it but was definitely showing its age after that time.
I don't remember the particular brand but we also bought it about 20 years ago (wow time flies)

snow load wouldnt be a problem, i would keep an eye on it... i am concerned about it blowing away, it would be on my driveway and i dont want to poke holes in my driveway so i was thinking sandbags randomly spread out around the perimeter... Danadart, a shipping container would not be ideal for me and my situation but i do agree that would be nice, the car is on a rotisserie so theres that to think about also

i may have to wrap it in a tarp and call it good, im hopeing someone will recommend a good manufacturer ... the weak link with these temp garages seems to be the roof part of it, they say you only get a year and then they split, they sell an upgraded tarp to replace the torn one buy its pretty pricey

How much difference is it between one of those tarp awnings and a metal one? You can get a metal one like 18x21 installed for somewhere under 1000. Some of those tarp awnings are like half that. Plus, with the metal awning, you could work on enclosing it as your finances allow.

I saw one once where you put the fabric down drive the car on it then assemble the rest. The car keeps it in place

I'm sure some 2x10 left to right under the front and rear wheels would give you something to attach to.

hey everyone, has anyone ever bought one of those temp garages with the tarp walls, i need to keep my project Duster out of the elements this winter. Can someone recommend a certain manufacturer or which ones to stay away from... ive been reading some reviews online and for the most part people are saying they suck but i would rather hear the good the bad and the ugly from the FABO family...Rich

Google Shelter Logic.

Ive had one that I put on my deck to store patio furniture in the winter. I'e been using it since 2014. Top finally showing its age but I should get this winter out of it as well.

Here some pics of it after a storm

Its under here.

0qJmtoYMv5VHbsEfFlEKk8gPTcJ_mF_DlcRcVbdzqztTvwa0gA.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20220909004.jpg

Couple of days later...
0qJmtoYMv5VHbsEfFlEKk8gPTcJ_mF_DlcRcVbdzqztTvwa0gA.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20220909004.jpg

Last edited:
i may have to wrap it in a tarp and call it good, im hopeing someone will recommend a good manufacturer ... the weak link with these temp garages seems to be the roof part of it, they say you only get a year and then they split, they sell an upgraded tarp to replace the torn one buy its pretty pricey

that’s exactly my experience, the low quality tarp it comes with last a year, two tops, and the replacement tarps cost a fortune.

I would never buy one again.

I used one of the Costco temporary garages and had pretty good luck with it. I bolted mine down to the pad it was on so lifting in the wind wasn’t an issue. They don’t need to be bolted down but they absolutely MUST be secured so they don’t take off on the wind.

I was getting about two years out of the roof panel, mine didn’t have much if any shade though, it’s the sun that beats them up. The side panels were about 5 years old when I took it down.

For less than $250 for the whole thing at Costco I was happy with mine, the roof panels are like $80 which is expensive but still a bunch cheaper than another whole garage so they’ve kinda got you there.

4x4s or 6x6s, through bolted to 2x12s on free sides, with 12' 2x8s strapped and nailed, then 1x4 perpendicular with 18 ga metal roofing.

I had 2 shelter logics warranty is 1year mine ripped a day before the 1 year. I got a free replacement then I upgraded the tarp to the 10 year what a difference well worth it. Cost to purchase i think is 750 can’t remember. If i was to do it again get a metal car port more durable and long lasting.

I had one, and it came from harbor freight, I have 400 oaks on my property and I set it up next to one and tightened it up to a tree, in the shade here in northeast Arkansas, 4 years and was called Victoria's nest, did everything I wanted it to do, keeping my 66 dry and out of the weather, I did my two to four barrel intake and duals in it. I still have the frame, used as a green house now that I have my shop built.
I have zero complaints out of it...

I have a shelter logic here, screwed to 2x6’s all around,ends stick out a foot on each side. We drive over the 2x6 in the doorway,no big deal.
If driveway is asphalt, then screw it down with some lag bolts. If its cement, drill in some anchor bolts. If your area is prone to high winds,its a tumbleweed.

I have a shelter logic here, screwed to 2x6’s all around,ends stick out a foot on each side. We drive over the 2x6 in the doorway,no big deal.
If driveway is asphalt, then screw it down with some lag bolts. If its cement, drill in some anchor bolts. If your area is prone to high winds,its a tumbleweed.
I have 2 like that. One, the exs Marine Corp Dad bought. Lasted 20 years so far. The other one? A tarp a year or so. I've staked em down, and buried em....

Had a few shelter logics with success for me here in CT. Sad part is the mice do love the instant hotel.

My brother and I bought one from Costco to cover my dad's '70 cuda that was sitting outside. The first winter it blew about 6 houses away in the wind and got completely destroyed. We bought another identical one and tied a cinder block under each post to raise it a little along with 1 sandbag per post to help keep it down and it sat outside in the elements for about 6 or 7 years before we were able to get decent interior storage for the cuda. The 2nd one held up about as good as we could have expected and it might have had a couple more years of life left in it but was definitely showing its age after that time.
I don't remember the particular brand but we also bought it about 20 years ago (wow time flies)
I had a squall come in and flip 2. After that, we lashed em together, put em in the ground. Still there today

-
Back