Tesla big rig!

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Just saw a short vid on it. Tractor alone can do 0-60 in 5 seconds, million mile warranty, 500 mile range, shatter proof glass. Center seating (weird) 20% cheaper operating cost than Diesel. Interesting.....

Just saw a short vid on it. Tractor alone can do 0-60 in 5 seconds, million mile warranty, 500 mile range, shatter proof glass. Center seating (weird) 20% cheaper operating cost than Diesel. Interesting.....
Yeah it's the ugliest thing too. Just think how much it would cost to replace the batteries.

Just because you saw it on a video doesn't mean the real world production unit (if there ever is one) will do that. Musk is an absolute master of marketing and also has an amazing knack for manipulating politicians and the corporate media whores into subsiding his business ventures and providing sycophanticly positive press. Basically anything you see about Tesla or Musk needs to be taken with a BIG grain of salt.

I watched a video of the unveiling of one of them Texas
It was hilarious, he mentioned something about the battery and the crowd went wild
Then he mentioned the 1/4 mile time and the crowd didn't have a clue what he was talking about

I watched a video of the unveiling of one of them Texas
It was hilarious, he mentioned something about the battery and the crowd went wild
Then he mentioned the 1/4 mile time and the crowd didn't have a clue what he was talking about

Yeah I thought that was funny too about the crowd getting excited over the batteries. Oh it can go 500 miles till it needs to recharge. He goes on saying about diesel trucks can go 250 miles till they need refueled and blah,blah,blah. It all depends how big or how many fuel tanks the truck has that determine how often it will have to stop to refuel plus driving habits,how big a load you have,etc,etc,etc.

they could make the batteries like a fork lift, just a big cube that gets forklifted in and out, unload, exchange battery and get back on road. probably faster than filling 2 80 gallon tanks. if its set up in that manner. Sure its ugly, everyone has to know its electric!

I've had this thought before about electrics. The vehicle is moving, that's the entire point of it. Motion can be used to create electricity. They have air motion and tire motion. Why could that motion not be translated into creating electricity to recharge those batteries? I have considered the drag issue as a stumbling block. Surely at the very least it could increase the operational range of the vehicle. Just a thought.

I have been following Musk for some time. Don't bet against him. It takes him longer to close than he promotes because he sets high expectations for his people.
I just finished reading his biography and it is an amazing story. He is the guy behind SpaceX and if you study what they have done and can do in the future it will
amaze you. He is planning on sending his personal Tesla roadster to Mars in January of 18. SpaceX built the rockets in the USA that supply the space station.
This guy is a combination of Warren Buffett/Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. He will get done what he sets out to do----------------------------
My $00.02---------------------Rat

My buddy works for JB Hunt. He's not driving the new Tesla trucks but they got some, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

I'd **** my pants if that warranty covered batteries.

And it's all a sham. that power has to come from somewhere. Unless they're near a hydroelectric or wind source, that power ain't free or clean.

My personal opinion is that Musk is way better at having ideas than implementing them. Throw enough **** at wall, something will stick. And likewise, tell enough people you're great and a certain percentage will believe it on blind faith.

He's just got the money to pay others to do the hard part, while he takes the credit. Just like Jobs.

I've had this thought before about electrics. The vehicle is moving, that's the entire point of it. Motion can be used to create electricity. They have air motion and tire motion. Why could that motion not be translated into creating electricity to recharge those batteries? I have considered the drag issue as a stumbling block. Surely at the very least it could increase the operational range of the vehicle. Just a thought.
You're talking about "perpetual motion". Problem is, it will not work. Any kind of wind turbine will create more drag than it is worth. Using more energy than it produces. What could work is solar panels all over the top of the trailer (a big area). That would only help extend range, and of course they don't work at night. The other thing that helps extend range is regenerative braking, which (to make it simple) turns the motor into a generator when the brakes are applied or during decelleration/coasting, charging the battery. Most battery/hybrids already have some form of this.

You're talking about "perpetual motion". Problem is, it will not work. Any kind of wind turbine will create more drag than it is worth. Using more energy than it produces. What could work is solar panels all over the top of the trailer (a big area). That would only help extend range, and of course they don't work at night. The other thing that helps extend range is regenerative braking, which (to make it simple) turns the motor into a generator when the brakes are applied or during decelleration/coasting, charging the battery. Most battery/hybrids already have some form of this.
The Tesla's all have regenerative braking and Musk also has a large stake in Solar City which will be the largest solar panel mfg in the US in a short time.
Musk is building his rockets, L/I batteries and solar panels all in the US in state of the are manufacturing facilities and inventing the technology to do it as he goes.
His background is in computer coding and physics and he understands everything he is doing at the physics level. He is not another talking head--------------------
of which we all know there are too many of already---------------

"DesertRat, post: 1971902931, member: 673"]He is the guy behind SpaceX and if you study what they have done and can do in the future it will
amaze you. He is planning on sending his personal Tesla roadster to Mars in January of 18. SpaceX built the rockets in the USA that supply the space station.[/QUOTE]
I'll only comment on what I KNOW about. I work in the industry at KSC In Florida. I will preface this also with saying I work for the competition.
1. He is the guy behind SpaceX but with a lot of federal funding just like the other NASA contractors. He's in the business to make money just like everybody else. He is a great salesman and a media darling.
2. The Falcon Heavy schedule has slipped several times due to setbacks and will likely slip again. That's normal.
3. There are three US companies with Station re-supply contracts with NASA. All have different rockets.
4. He IS perfecting landing and reusing boosters. At a cost though. He ain't doing it for free. Also, I can guarantee that NASA will not launch humans on a recycled rocket. It's fine for cargo.
5. Launch a Tesla if you want. That's fine. Other companies just used A big hunk of concrete for demo launches. But that don't get your name in the paper. Human spaceflight is a whole different story. SpaceX has blown up their fair share of rockets on the ground and in flight. Just like the other contractors.
So I'll end with: do I think he's doing cool stuff? Yes. Is he doing stuff in the space program others haven't done. Not really. Our Heritage US companies like Rocketdyne Lockheed Martin Boeing McDonnell Douglas that took us to the moon have already been there done that. And are still plugging away in the background while the Slick new kid gets the press. But don't think he's doing it all out of the kindness of his heart.

You can't achieve perpetual motion till you can nuetralize or eliminate "friction", imo

Formula "E" uses regenerative braking.

Last edited:
You can't achieve perpetual motion till you can nuetralize or eliminate "friction", imo

Formula "E" uses regenerative braking.
Regenerative braking is classified as passive braking. Like an engine brake. They will still need Mechanical brakes, air usually. Just saying... There is loads of energy that can be converted from kinetic to electric, lots of momentum .

-
Back