TF a727 hub size

-

W200on37z

Reaction score
I ordered up a new torque converter for my 1974 w200 from summit. I checked all the dimensions and thought that I was ordering exactly what I needed. However the hub has a couple notched that slide into the transmission when installing the torque converter which are different size than what I removed from my truck. The notches from the converter that I removed are 0.675" wide while everything that I can find on this topic suggests that I need one with a 0.4" wide notch. The converter I bought from summit measures 0.4" but it is giving me hell trying to slide it in. Are there different sizes where the notch slides into the transmission or is there just extra slop that doesn't affect anything? This is my first time taking a transmission out so everything that I am looking at is new to me.

The extra slop doesn't effect anything. But TFs are NOTORIOUS for being difficult to install. The reason is that they have no internal provision to center the inner pump gear; it just flops around when the converter isn't in place; unlike Ford and Chevy. So....look inside the pump and note the position of the tangs by marking their location on the bellhousing. Then mark the location of the slots onto the front of the converter. Line up all these marks and try to install it. You might have to reach inside the pump with a skinny screwdriver to center the pump gear.

Put the pump tangs at 6:00 and 12:00 o’clock. This is where the pump gears are on center. The converter will go right in. Give it a little wiggle left to right. Done deal. Kim

NO SIR! Pump tangs mean NOTHING. That does nothing to center the gear. I can flop around in there no matter where the tangs are; makes NO difference.

-
Back