That modern look....

-
Love the look. Here's mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 875
dgibby, I like the size, stance and the style of the wheel. Not a super huge fan of chrome or high polish look but this looks nice!

What's the saying? "If we are all the same,life would be boring".

dgibby, I like the size, stance and the style of the wheel. Not a super huge fan of chrome or high polish look but this looks nice!

Thanks. They are just polished staggered fit 18's rear 17's front

Just thinking out loud...
I was wondering how many folks are going for "the look" and who is looking for performance. When I took the factory 17x8 mustang wheels off my car and started driving with the 18" XXRs, I was astounded by how much better it drove. The reason? the new wheels only weigh 21 lbs. each.
Compared to factory wheels, they're featherweights and really make a huge difference.
Anyone checking the weight of the big wheels before buying? -pauly

Little bit of new school look -this is mine 17"'s all around with own version of new look Ralley wheels

Attachments

• Moparetown2013 003.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 798
  • Moparetown2013 004.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 812
  • Moparetown2013 006.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 777
I went for both....nothing better than a good handling car that looks good as well.

I guess it's up to what you value more. If your mechanical then you want the car to run and handle well first and foremost.

If your artistic then you want the car to look good first and work on performance and handling after the fact.

If your an impatient bastage then you tear it all apart and do it all at one time....or over 5 years as I did.

All that really matters is what you want to do and what makes you happy...:D

Like the look if it's done right. 72Swinger has it 100% right about proportions. It's easy to buy a big rim/tire package that looks cool but it takes an amazing amount of research and measuring to get those big rims & tires to fit with absolutely NO rubbing (do you have a death wish?). Unless the suspension is set up (springs/shocks/sway & T bars/bushings/ride height) to utilize the stiffness of the shorter/wider rubber you'll end up with an evil handling mess. Remember the stock suspension was designed for the characteristics of tall sidewall bias ply tires not short sidewall, stiff modern radials - adjustments need to be made. I see so many cars slapped together to get the "Look" with no thought to how it handles/rides. Its amazes me the amount of money that gets thrown at some of these cars just to do it wrong. It's a total package thing. Unfortunately unless the tire manufactures get a clue about 14 & 15 performance tires (unless you consider BFG TAs performance tires?) all of us may be sportin Hoopties eventually!

Anyone checking the weight of the big wheels before buying? -pauly

I do. My new 18's are very light. 18x9's in the front weigh 17.1 lbs each, and the 18x10's in the back are 18.45lbs each.

Not sure what the steel 15x7's weigh, but I bet its more than that.

The performance increase far outweights the look. Y'all stuck back in the stone ages keep your 14-15" while I blow circles around ya.

I got news buckwheat. There's a LOT of very high performance 14 and 15 inch tires left in the market. I would be careful of your threats grasshopper. lol

That said, I think the "modern" look sucks dead, greasy, pus oozing, half rotted off, stinkin, gay arctic monkey balls.

I like them all except for the 13's those r just icky I like the 18's but I also like the 15's as well like the steel wheels I ordered from stockon they r a 15" diameter rim that look stock...... Aside from being a 15.5" wide and they will be a similar body color as the car with beauty rings and center caps and the fronts will be 15x4.5 same treatment as the rears and when I go racing a have a set of vintage drag lites that r ooober lite like 15 pounds wheel and tire package for the fronts but again as stated before to each their own

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I got news buckwheat. There's a LOT of very high performance 14 and 15 inch tires left in the market. I would be careful of your threats grasshopper. lol

That said, I think the "modern" look sucks dead, greasy, pus oozing, half rotted off, stinkin, gay arctic monkey balls.

LOL all I hear is the sound of sidewalls flopping over.

I've only seen the front end of mustang GT's and that's through my rear view mirror.....fading into the distance.

14's - 15's are OK if your going for that nostalgic look....other than that they are tired...that look is over 40 yrs old, there is hardly any styles to pick from, no way the 15's can handle the turns like a 17 or 18. If they could you would still see them on production cars.

I like progression and new and better technology....

I'd venture to say that guys who are sticking with mostly stock suspension components are also sticking to 14 and 15 inch wheels, because it has to take a ton of money to make those 17's and bigger work. You don't just slap 17's or bigger on a 40 year old torsion bar mopar front end, and you especially don't try that with air bags on an old suspension, because the minute you pump them up your alignment specs go out the window.
There's also something to be said for the size of the factory wheel opening in relation to the size of the wheel and tire. Our older rides were never designed with 17's in mind. The proportions just look out of whack.
And as far as the styling of the newer wheels on older iron? Most are totally garish, no matter what ride you put them on, old or new. Lattice or snow flake designs just look stupid, and you have to paint them black just to hide their ugliness. Never mind trying to clean in between all those nooks and crannies.

Sometimes too much is just that - too much.

I'd venture to say that guys who are sticking with mostly stock suspension components are also sticking to 14 and 15 inch wheels, because it has to take a ton of money to make those 17's and bigger work. You don't just slap 17's or bigger on a 40 year old torsion bar mopar front end, and you especially don't try that with air bags on an old suspension, because the minute you pump them up your alignment specs go out the window.
There's also something to be said for the size of the factory wheel opening in relation to the size of the wheel and tire. Our older rides were never designed with 17's in mind. The proportions just look out of whack.
And as far as the styling of the newer wheels on older iron? Most are totally garish, no matter what ride you put them on, old or new. Lattice or snow flake designs just look stupid, and you have to paint them black just to hide their ugliness. Never mind trying to clean in between all those nooks and crannies.

Sometimes too much is just that - too much.

You can definitely slap them on an old mopar and they will fit just fine. Make sure your backspacing is correct and the tire height is within spec and its a simple swap. People do it every day and have no issues with them.

Confusedcuda runs 17's on stock 10" drums and 4" bolt pattern and has for 7 years now with no issues. I just put 17's on my wifes cuda and it has a stock suspension as well.

Since you are staying within spec on the tire height then the wheels and tires will fit the opening just as they did 40 years ago. If you want to go bigger you always can. My 18's fit in back with ZERO modifications to the wheel well and they DO NOT RUB....no matter what I do.
I changed my front suspension to an RMS so I cannot argue that point but once again if the tire height and bs are spec then no problems.

With regards to the airbag comment....the alignment is done with the bags inflated and set at ride height. That means whenever you are sitting at ride height your alignment will be in spec. The only time it goes out of whack is when you are slammed....and your not driving when its slammed.

Attachments

• 100_5043.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 689
-
Back