The 1947 Dodge Build

-
Nice project.
I had a friend of my stop by over Thanksgiving, had not seen him in a while, he was driving a 48 D-24 2-door.
Flat head, fluid drive, nice car, he said he had been using it for a daily driver all summer, and it actually was getting really good fuel mileage.

I love your project . Please keep us posted . I may be so bold to suggest a Jeep 4.0l./258/270. They are available in yards for cheap , parts are available everywhere and decent power and mileage can be had . You can choose carb or efi , automatic with o.d. or manusl with o.d. AND, it looks cool . AND it slides in with no fitment issues . Win, win, win

I love your project . Please keep us posted . I may be so bold to suggest a Jeep 4.0l./258/270. They are available in yards for cheap , parts are available everywhere and decent power and mileage can be had . You can choose carb or efi , automatic with o.d. or manusl with o.d. AND, it looks cool . AND it slides in with no fitment issues . Win, win, win

Thanks! And thanks for the Jeep engine suggestion! Unless my banker OKays the expenditure, looks like my engine choices are what’s on hand - built slant 6, mostly assembled 66 Commando 273/235 or a ready to assemble 70 60 over 340. My oldest son in the Netherlands has claimed the 47 when i’m Done and had my fun with it and he said definitely go with the rumble of the V8! I will look into the Jeep as I know from previously owning one what they’re capable of.

Last edited:
The 4.0 jeep motor is durable but about as gut-less as a slant.
I still have a 4.0, 258, and 134 jeep powered cj's they are good torque motors, power....
LOL record zero to 60 on a sundial.

Honestly... I can make an argument for for using both... With reusing old parts, and keeping things cheap, I guess it depends on which bolt pattern the wheels are in comparison to what is on/will be on the car. Then comes down to tire availability. However I feel tire availability will pretty much be the same for each size, so that is a wash.

I also believe the wheel choice depends on the direction you will go with the car. If your going for the cruiser (naturally aspirated 6) kind of look I would go with the rallyes. If your going for the sporty (a turbo 6 or one of your rebuilt V8's) lower kind of look, Id go with the 10 spoke

The bolt pattern for years was the 5 on 4.5 on the bigger cars. The 47 is no exception. Although front and rear drums are 5 on 4.5, I will be swapping the rear end for a later B Body which has the same perch spacing as the 47, but just a bit wider overall and of course the 5 on 4.5. The front can be upgraded to 4 on 4.5 discs on the stock spindles. Early Dakota frames using the 5 on 4.5 wheels have been used with frame clips. Both the J Body 10 spokes and the Rallyes are 5 on 4.5 spacing so there’s no problem with either one. Both My wife and I like the 10 spokes; guess i’ll Have to put her to work polishing 5 of them with something like Simichrome! When topped off with NOS center caps and domes, I think they’ll look great!

Last edited:
And yesterday I made a decision on the drivetrain based on what I have on hand for this project. I had been debating between a built slant or a 66 273/235 Commando motor or a 60 over 70 340 I have that's ready to assemble. I could have posted a separate thread with a poll and I'd be willing to bet a majority would say 340 - you know - go big with what you have or go home lol! My oldest son in the Netherlands has claimed the 47 once I'm done and had my fun with it. He said as a rod it really needs that V8 rumble. So the choice will be the 340 coupled with a beefed up A500 and custom 2800 converter and a 71 Charger 8.75 rear end with a 3.55 Sure Grip. Should provide great get up and go and easy cruising in OD in the 47

Last edited:
And yesterday I made a decision on the drivetrain based on what I have on hand for this project. I had been debating between a built slant or a 66 273/235 Commando motor or a 60 over 70 340 I have that's ready to assemble. I could have posted a separate thread with a poll and I'd be willing to bet a majority would say 340 - you know go big with what you have or go home lol! My oldest son in the Netherlands has claimed the 47 once I'm done and had my fun with it. He said as a rod it really needs that V8 rumble. So the choice will be the 340 coupled with a beefed up A500 and custom 2800 converter and a 71 Charger 8.75 rear end with a 3.55 Sure Grip. Should provide great get up and go and easy cruising in OD in the 47
That will be a great drivetrain for the car. Next is that now you know what to focus on!

And yesterday I made a decision on the drivetrain based on what I have on hand for this project. I had been debating between a built slant or a 66 273/235 Commando motor or a 60 over 70 340 I have that's ready to assemble. I could have posted a separate thread with a poll and I'd be willing to bet a majority would say 340 - you know - go big with what you have or go home lol! My oldest son in the Netherlands has claimed the 47 once I'm done and had my fun with it. He said as a rod it really needs that V8 rumble. So the choice will be the 340 coupled with a beefed up A500 and custom 2800 converter and a 71 Charger 8.75 rear end with a 3.55 Sure Grip. Should provide great get up and go and easy cruising in OD in the 47
That'll be great, Don!

A friend of mine FWDLK Frank spotted a restored radio dial for my model 802 on eBay and gave me a heads up on it. It’s definitely much much nicer than the dial on my radio that got cleaned up as much as possible when I had it converted to modern internals. So I bought it!

The original dial cleaned up as much as feasible
4C479C0F-E70B-4AD9-A05D-C8673CFFA25A.jpeg

And the restored dial:

B84AF63C-F7D3-4F2C-BCC2-526848AC067D.jpeg

One or two screws and the bezel comes off, pull the old dial, pop in the new one and button it back up!

Last edited:
A friend of mine FWDLK Frank spotted a restored radio dial for my model 802 on eBay and gave me a heads up on it. It’s definitely much much nicer than the dial on my radio that got cleaned up as much as possible when I had it converted to modern internals. So I bought it!

The original dial cleaned up as much as feasible
View attachment 1715126406

And the restored dial:

View attachment 1715126407

One or two screws and the bezel comes off, pull the old dial, pop in the new one and button it back up!
That dial looks awesome Don!

I have seen this thread on new posts many times,finally decided it was time to read it through.
Progress is just moving forward,regardless how fast.
A friend had a 49,plunked a jeep motor and manual trans in it and drove it for years.
I like the direction its going, looking forward to your next batch of photos.

Thanks for stopping by! When it gets a bit warmer there should be more progress!

Thanks for stopping by! When it gets a bit warmer there should be more progress!
Not familiar w/ them, but I know a guy that races a late model jeep engine in a custom built econo car, it is, and has been the killer car in that class ! Quite a few speed parts for them as I understand.

No pics but am in the process of removing the dash. Some of the 70 year old machine screws holding the dash to the lower windshield have been really tough to get out without destroying anything. Can't use heat so it's PB Blaster and using the Philips #3 screwdriver with judicious hammering on the screwdriver to loosen the screws.

Ah lookee what just got delivered - new gauges. The combo speedometer/tach will fit right into where the current speedometer goes.
312BBB9F-1604-42E7-89B5-1DEF66AD1B22.jpeg

F6535F1F-C3CB-4C44-AADD-172CA55AC6F8.jpeg

I like the color of the face of the gauges and is sort of similar to the original gauges.

The combo 4 gauge - hmmm - where to put it?
1C56AD2D-B6D4-42C4-8E67-0860871399BA.jpeg

Where the clock goes? Uh, don’t think so!
95C9B308-AAE7-4475-BAC6-516BC93D765A.jpeg

Some place in front of the driver of course. Might have to be some re-working of the dash, you think!
70DAAF0A-75D0-476D-A1B7-3DC4167C4680.jpeg

Like take an extra clock bezel, cut it apart so that the left side fits flush against where the curve trim on the dash starts and butts up against the speedo bezel
52992F91-91E7-4345-9A70-425175183E93.jpeg
07D03248-158B-4432-9B6C-544EEFDA6964.jpeg

Looks like it’ll work. Still gotta get the dash out to do the modification! If it works, nobody will be the wiser and think it came stock- kind of a 1 of 1 on the dash lol!

Last edited:
That will look good Don. The clock bezel appears to be the same size as the speedo bezel, so that will look great. If you can figure out a way to tie it in to the left with a switch panel for the on/off buttons for the A500 or whatever else you have planned, that will be great. Is the speedometer a GPS unit? I'm planning on using one of those in my Duster. I may copycat you....lol. I could use the same combo of gauges to make it kinda sorta look like a 70-71 Duster Rally dash. :)

That will look good Don. The clock bezel appears to be the same size as the speedo bezel, so that will look great.

Yes the clock is the same size at the speedometer. I will get the clock converted to solid state and would like to get it refaced to match the new gauges.

If you can figure out a way to tie it in to the left with a switch panel for the on/off buttons for the A500 or whatever else you have planned, that will be great.

The part in the last pic will fit (by the measurements) right between the speedometer bezel and the far right curved trim on the dash. I figure on using the hole for the push button start which came on the car as standard equipment.

Is the speedometer a GPS unit? I'm planning on using one of those in my Duster. I may copycat you....lol. I could use the same combo of gauges to make it kinda sorta look like a 70-71 Duster Rally dash. :)

Yes it’s a GPS unit. It’s got a little antenna that’s placed in the corner of the windshield or someplace where it can “see” the sky. If everything turns out like I envision, it will look “stock” but different.

They are making reproductions of the original owners manual but I wanted either a NOS or a mint used original. Just a few minutes ago my mint used original Owners Manual showed up. In looking through it, most everything was optional - heater, defroster, heater blower motor, turn signals, and cigar lighter. Interesting that the map light was standard equipment and also functioned as a courtesy light when the front passenger door was opened.

3861497F-6B7A-449F-BFC8-08D1E18E19B3.jpeg

D38492E1-F3AB-43FF-9CDC-9217419048BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Another piece of the puzzle arrived today - a pair of NOS front outer door handles needed to replace the pitted ones. Need to find the ones for the rear doors and the license plate light/trunk handle bezel. All in good time!
EB023B8F-9A4C-4CB9-AD63-6B6B4B8C2C68.jpeg

A0C5553E-644B-4623-A354-18EF6BCA3B60.jpeg

Last edited:
More pieces of the parts puzzle arrived today - smoke gray tinted door, vent window and rear quarter window glass. Ordered from a glass company on eBay who specializes in glass for vintage tin. I ordered and paid for it and less than 10 minutes later I get a phone call from them - I forgot to specify if I wanted a smoke gray, greenish tint or clear glass (I picked smoked gray since it would go with the black exterior). In our conversation I mentioned I wouldn’t be using their windshield glass as I had other plans for the windshield. He deleted the windshield glass and did a refund of what the glass would have cost if I had ordered it separately. Great customer service. The glass arrived today - well packed and nothing broken - UPS did well!

Front vent window and rear quarter glass window
EE1EABA2-20C7-4DC2-A871-3F96E9F11063.jpeg

Front door glass
2C3FBB83-512B-4C9B-A434-039122CE45D5.jpeg

Rear door glass
442A03D3-045B-4D08-96EB-C2E5B38823BC.jpeg

More pieces of the parts puzzle arrived today - smoke gray tinted door, vent window and rear quarter window glass. Ordered from a glass company on eBay who specializes in glass for vintage tin. I ordered and paid for it and less than 10 minutes later I get a phone call from them - I forgot to specify if I wanted a smoke gray, greenish tint or clear glass (I picked smoked gray since it would go with the black exterior). In our conversation I mentioned I wouldn’t be using their windshield glass as I had other plans for the windshield. He deleted the windshield glass and did a refund of what the glass would have cost if I had ordered it separately. Great customer service. The glass arrived today - well packed and nothing broken - UPS did well!

Front vent window and rear quarter glass windowView attachment 1715152915

Front door glassView attachment 1715152916

Rear door glassView attachment 1715152917
What company did you go through? I have an older car that needs some glass down the road a bit.

-
Back