The answer is no but I'll ask anyway

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda came with a slant six. Eventually a V8 will go in (360). I am toying with the idea of making a Formula S clone. My car has nice hood inserts but with no engine callout/Formula S designation. Does anyone make a reproduction of this part? I've found some for sale but not in the best shape and very pricey. If there are no repo parts available, did the Formula S in 68 come with inserts not indicating that model and engine size? Thanks.

My 68 Barracuda came with a slant six. Eventually a V8 will go in (360). I am toying with the idea of making a Formula S clone. My car has nice hood inserts but with no engine callout/Formula S designation. Does anyone make a reproduction of this part? I've found some for sale but not in the best shape and very pricey. If there are no repo parts available, did the Formula S in 68 come with inserts not indicating that model and engine size? Thanks.

They are not being reproduced.

All 68 Formula S cars had 340-S or 383-S hood inserts.

68 inserts are easier to find in good condition than others.
Nice 67 inserts are extremely rare.
Talk with Leanna at PSC about refreshing the appearance of those pieces.

Let me try this again. I have neuropathy in my hands and feet (diabetes) and so they don't work so well for me and I hit the wrong key and everything disappeared. Let me try this again. Thanks for your reply. To make my 68 an S clone, I'd have to get the correct inserts. For the money asked, and condition I've found, I'm not willing to do that at this time. Two last questions if you have the time. In my books on Barracudas, it seems the 69 did not have the S emblems on the fenders. Is that correct. My book says it was a 65 to 68 badge. But I did notice the S emblem on the tail panel of a few Barracudas but they seem to be 69s. Hard to tell from the pictures. What about the red/black V8 emblem? Would that have been attached to non-Formula S models with the 318 in 68? If so, I might go that route instead that way my inserts, which are in great shape, can be used. Thanks for your help and patience.

RedFish: Thanks. I had little luck finding them in other than rough condition with studs missing. Mine are in excellent shape but not Formula S. My 68 is UU1 blue but I'm thinking about having it repainted in Q5 Seafoam (turquoise) which I like a lot better. Since it is origiinally a slant six notchback, I'm not worried about making changes to it. I was lucky to have brought it with me from California when I moved so it has no rust.

68 inserts are easier to find in good condition than others.
Nice 67 inserts are extremely rare.
Talk with Leanna at PSC about refreshing the appearance of those pieces.

Thanks for the mention Benny! :-D I'd love to say they're cheap and easy to fix but, especially in this condition, I'd be lying. I've done one set of '68 factory style hood inserts ... here's a few before / after pictures.

View attachment 018 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 024 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 028 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 064 - Copy (2).jpg

View attachment 066 - Copy.jpg

... and have another pair of 340-S inserts in line for the same customer.

No doubt you do great work and, when I decide on an engine color, I'm contacting you. In the meantime, I was on a sight that displayed pictures of your motor and now I can't find it. Can you post the link or how I can look at the pictures of your motor? I plan to borrow some of your ideas. Your six color valve covers are really a piece of art. I love them. Now you've thrown one more idea my way. I plan on doing an engine for the Barrcuda, and the Charger, with color combos, valve covers matching engine, and you have this down right. My Barrcuda is UU1 blue and I plan to switch it to Q5 Seafoam (turquoise). I thought about the turquoise color for the engine but that belongs on the big block if I'm not mistaken. Still............

Thank you Inspector :-D -- I'll be around whenever you're ready.

I'm not sure what motor pictures you're thinking of but I really doubt it was my 340 LOL ... it's a virtual rainbow at the moment -- I spend my time working on your guys' stuff instead of my own :-D -- and I can't imagine anybody wanting to borrow anything. Maybe you were thinking of one of my customers' cars?

View attachment Hemi_engine_green_1_800pix (1).jpg

When the offer comes to buy/sell your car, don't. No, you are right, that is one of the pictures. What I like is the way you carried the body color to the engine and its components. That is what I'm thinking of doing. For example, turquoise block, finned mopar valve covers, intake, alternator, and air cleaner off set by polished aluminum brackets and pulleys. I seem to remember you had a 340 not that monster hemi. But its matching color scheme I'm after. No one needs to tell you that you have an awesome car but, you do.

69 didn't have 340-s, 383-s hood call outs like the 68, as you mentioned. A smaller Formula-s emblem was riveted on the tail panel only in 69 - not fenders. 68 had a fender fish w/v8 in it. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169321

The S cars in 69 did NOT have the familiar round S emblems as found on the earlier cudas. And yes the aluminum deck lid panel was black and had an S emblem. The standard Barracudas and 'cuda package cars had a light argent aluminum panel w/o any S designation because it was NOT an S, but a 'cuda. The 69 S cars also had a cast emblem on the fender right behind the headlights. Only 2 versions, 340-S and 383-S. There was not a 440-S car because that was 'cuda package only.

You are correct, the 68 cars with a standard V-8 DID have the red and black V-8 engine emblem below a script Barracuda on the fender behind the wheel well. ALL 68's that did not have a 340 or 383 had the standard hood inserts that Leanna posted above.

I disagree with 68 hood inserts being more common than 67's because there were more 67's built than 68 and the poor 69's were built in even fewer numbers. So it stands to reason that there should be more 67 parts available than any other simply because there were more on the road.

However, I kind of surmised that because 69's sales did not meet sales expectations, there may have been more 69 NOS parts available from the dealers because there were more left-over parts than expected. Just my opinion, it may not be true, but I used to order new 69 parts right from the local dealer in the early 80's. I'm talking LF grille, tail light, fender.

I have seen some awesome cudas built that kept the standard 68 emblems w/o the S badges. It might be an ego thing based on whether you want to do the talking, or let the car do it.

Great explanation and information. I thought with all the books I had that this would be information easy to find but not so. As to ego, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always wanted an S, got a great deal on a solid rust free 68 notchback that just happened to come with a slant six. I plan to upgrade the suspension and have a 360 put in. I thought I might go with an S clone if it wasn't too big a bother getting the pieces (and expensive). On the other hand, I like the sleeper idea as well which is why I might go with the V8 emblems and pass on the S clone idea.

I disagree with 68 hood inserts being more common than 67's because there were more 67's built than 68 and the poor 69's were built in even fewer numbers. So it stands to reason that there should be more 67 parts available than any other simply because there were more on the road. .

You may have misunderstood my comments.
Sure 67 hood inserts are common. I have at least 3 sets laying around here.
They all look like crap because their design holds water.

I think if you ask Leanna or anyone else about renewing their appearance, you'll get a different response.

The S cars in 69 did NOT have the familiar round S emblems as found on the earlier cudas. And yes the aluminum deck lid panel was black and had an S emblem.

I said, "A smaller Formula-s emblem was riveted on the tail panel only in 69".
It sure doesn't look real different except black paint outside instead of black lettering. And "smaller" and "only" on the tail panel, which I stated?

Attachments

• BarracudaDecklid_th.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 68barracuda037.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 196
I went on line and googled images of 68 and 69 Barracudas. I found some 69s with the S emblem on the fender where the 68 had it. Go figure. And some had the circle with the Barracuda in it, the one on the hood, also on the trunk deck lid. At this point, not wanting to pay the big bucks for the 68 hood 340-S inserts, I may just stick the V8 emblems on it. My plan is to have a 360 built but run a 318 4-bbl air cleaner on it. I lik sleepers

-
Back