the"Busted knuckle duster"

Members Restorations

1. Cool Hand

Cool Hand Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:33 PM
    So after many months of research, shopping,and chat room time we have finally started the duster project. The plan is to do a late model hemi,nag1 conversion with all qa1 suspension upgrades. I will be installing right stuff front, and rear brake conversion kits, as well as many other products that allot of people have been asking about. The project will start out a little slow as the shop still has customer work to complete,but it needs to be completed by the end of October for SEMA. So giddy up!
    We bought the car in Texas after many months of searching for the right one( I like complete untouched cars that haven't been hacked on). We luckily got it to the shop (after all the covid delays, and shutdowns) and got the plan rollin. We started by yanking out all the drive train,and suspension(which is all up for grabs),and making some quick changes that I believe made a huge difference in the looks department. First thing was swapping out the 74 hood ,grill ,and bumper. Looked at all the standard swaps.Demon,or 70 72 flat grill, or the shark tooth grill, but finally settled on the 67 valiant front end. Next over the last few days we cleaned the under side of the car. Sealed it all with KBS coating for rustproofing,and installed a stage three qa1 kit, Moser 8 3/4, and rightstuff brakes.
    The tear down went great. Being a Texas car the bolts all came out with little fight in them. Instead of the usual rust I deal with daily (being a shop in Wisconsin),I was only finding dirt,and mud wasp homes that were long abandoned. Underside clean up was dealt with easily with soap,and water leaving a beautiful unpatched, or pitted chassis. We use KBS coatings on all of our builds so it was of course gonna be what sealed the duster. It looks better than new under there now. I have also installed a qa1 k member,and front end kit before so that went flawless. The right stuff brake kit fits with it perfect you just need to remember to tell qa1 your brake plans so they give you the larger upper ball joints. The rear of qa1's kit was a little more challenging. Since I've never done a 6 link setup before I had to follow every step of the directions.(Would have been easier if the parts had the parts numbers on them anywhere) Took the entire day to install,and being that I used a Moser 8 3/4 (the housing is larger) I have to modify the panhard bar to clear, as well as make some spacers to drop the sway bar down 3/4 of an inch. Otherwise it looks great allows me to adjust my ride height easily, and has lots of adjustment for shock stiffness rebound and such. She will be a great street,and track day car when done.
    Here are some pictures of the progress so far. Thanks for checking it out. 2020-05-23 10.46.36.jpg first day home from Texas. 2020-06-07 16.24.58.jpg 2020-06-07 17.00.45.jpg bowels in or bowels out? lol 2020-05-23 13.33.52.jpg new front end. Way cool

2020-07-12 16.38.25.jpg new moser 373's with eaton truetrac

2020-07-12 16.32.18.jpg the parts tree. ready for paint

2020-07-12 17.28.57.jpg part pile is growing. Anyone want?

2020-07-12 17.37.12.jpg underside sealed ready for new parts
    2020-07-13 16.32.00.jpg qa1 k member and borgeson power steering box
    2020-07-13 16.31.36.jpg qa1 control arms,and right stuff slotted disc brakes. (gonna finish up and paint wheel wells after bodywork is done.)

• Like Like x 6
    • Mtrhead

Mtrhead Ace of Spades ♠️

Local Time:
      5:33 PM
      I like that 68 valiant front-end way better than a 73 Style...looking great...moser rear is a nice piece of iron also..keep us posted

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Cool Hand

Local Time:
        2020-07-15 09.43.37.jpg 2020-07-15 09.43.28.jpg almost done here.Setting pinion angle,and attaching coil overs next.
        2020-07-15 14.10.44.jpg new stance with some moch-up rims. Will show more later.

• Like Like x 2
        • 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          2:33 PM
          That's a GREAT T shirt!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • moparmat2000

moparmat2000 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            Nice job. I love them rust free Texas cars too. That pile of takeoff parts would be great for somebody wanting to swap in a V8. Maybe offer a package deal on Fabo for the whole mess. If I lived closer than I do (Abilene Tx) I'd run out there with my pickup and load up.

• Car Nut

Car Nut Mopar Master

Local Time:
            3:33 PM
            Sweet!

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
            I did got no response

• Kendog 170

Kendog 170 Let the boy go !

Local Time:
            Wow! That's crazy no responses. Car looking good!

• sireland67

sireland67 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            Cool build, I might be interested in you take off parts.

• mpgmike

mpgmike Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            I decided that if I was ever lucky enough to find a decent Duster/Sport, I would search & find a '67 Valiant front clip for it. I like the Plymouth emblem in the center of the grill (which the '68 lacks). Low & behold you are doing that very project!! Subscribed!

• TF360

TF360 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            Love the valiant front end!

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
            Let me know I have them posted in the classified forum

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
            Thanks I will

• sireland67

sireland67 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            I will, may be buying another car next weekend, your parts may just work out.

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
            Awesome

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
            Here are some pics outside to see new stance and frontend. Huge difference. Ignore rims,and tires they are not staying(well maybe the backs will they are pretty cool. Will have to get fronts to match) 2020-07-15 14.23.14.jpg 2020-07-15 15.19.23.jpg

• Like Like x 4
            • Cool Hand

Local Time:
              so

So I started working on the duster again this week. We had a small issue with the 6.1 Hemi I was planning on using. So while I save up the cash to build it right I found a good 5.7 to use for now. here are some pics of it, and it's donor.
              2020-06-12 12.23.09.jpg
              2020-06-12 15.55.03.jpg
              2020-06-30 10.10.01.jpg
              Here it is all cleaned up. I swapped over a few of the 6.1 parts ( Intake ,coils ,valve covers). I will get it disassembled paint the block ,covers ,and intake. Then we can put on the new oil pan, and all the conversion parts to fit it in the duster. (gonna be running the nag1 with the sound german engineering tcu setup)
              With the drivetrain well in hand I figured I would get the patchwork, and panel replacement done. the only parts needing replacement were the trunk floor, and the the lower rear quarters. I started by cutting the main section of the floor out first. Here is what we started with 2020-08-11 15.17.08.jpg
              Below is after getting all the spot welds cut out, and the flanges cleaned ,straightened ,and ready for welding in the new floor. I also had to replace the passenger side of the trunk floor as well ,so we cut that, and the lower quarter out while we where at it. Spent a little extra time to remove the spray on sound proofing, and wire wheeled off any surface rust ,loose paint ,and seam sealer. Then I coated the inside of the frame rails with kbs rust coating since we cant get in there later. 2020-08-13 15.42.26.jpg
              While the floor was out I took the opportunity to make a few necessary modifications to the QA1 6 link. The Moser rear end we are using (even though it is a stock replacement for the original) has a larger housing than stock. this caused a few problems. I had to clearance the pan hard bar, move one of the tubes that goes behind the pumpkin about an inch, and make some spacers to lower the sway bar mounts so it would clear under the housing. I will post some pics of that later.
              2020-08-13 17.47.02.jpg
              Now its time to put it all together. We will leave that till tomorrow. Man that's a big hole!

• Like Like x 1
              • Cool Hand

Local Time:
                Ther are also pics ,and build videos to look at and follow. Check out Cool Hand Customs on Facebook ,Instagram ,and YouTube.

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
                So I started working on the duster again this week. We had a small issue with the 6.1 Hemi I was planning on using. So while I save up the cash to build it right I found a good 5.7 to use for now. here are some pics of it, and it's donor.
                2020-06-12-12-23-09-jpg.jpg
                2020-06-12-15-55-03-jpg.jpg
                2020-06-30-10-10-01-jpg.jpg
                Here it is all cleaned up. I swapped over a few of the 6.1 parts ( Intake ,coils ,valve covers). I will get it disassembled paint the block ,covers ,and intake. Then we can put on the new oil pan, and all the conversion parts to fit it in the duster. (gonna be running the nag1 with the sound german engineering tcu setup)
                With the drivetrain well in hand I figured I would get the patchwork, and panel replacement done. the only parts needing replacement were the trunk floor, and the the lower rear quarters. I started by cutting the main section of the floor out first. Here is what we started with 2020-08-11-15-17-08-jpg.jpg
                Below is after getting all the spot welds cut out, and the flanges cleaned ,straightened ,and ready for welding in the new floor. I also had to replace the passenger side of the trunk floor as well ,so we cut that, and the lower quarter out while we where at it. Spent a little extra time to remove the spray on sound proofing, and wire wheeled off any surface rust ,loose paint ,and seam sealer. Then I coated the inside of the frame rails with kbs rust coating since we cant get in there later. 2020-08-13-15-42-26-jpg.jpg
                While the floor was out I took the opportunity to make a few necessary modifications to the QA1 6 link. The Moser rear end we are using (even though it is a stock replacement for the original) has a larger housing than stock. this caused a few problems. I had to clearance the pan hard bar, move one of the tubes that goes behind the pumpkin about an inch, and make some spacers to lower the sway bar mounts so it would clear under the housing. I will post some pics of that later.
                2020-08-13-17-47-02-jpg.jpg
                Now its time to put it all together. We will leave that till tomorrow. Man that's a big hole!

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
                Got the trunk floor welded in today, as well as the passenger side quarter patch. Here are some pics. The AMD parts from summit racing fit like a glove. If I have time tomorrow I will get to the drivers side quarter patch 2020-08-15 18.34.01.jpg 2020-08-15 18.33.45.jpg 2020-08-15 18.34.08.jpg 2020-08-15 18.34.15.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • mpgmike

mpgmike Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  Are you keeping the stock tail lights or going with something custom? I ask because you went custom on the nose (and I'm not particularly fond of the '73-6 tail lights).

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
                  Not sure. Haven't been able to find a nice set of stock ones yet so it is still up in the air. Skies the limit though if I find something new cool,or different that I like.

• 89on35s

89on35s Inferno Red Duster FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
                  3:33 PM
                  If I do another one I'll keep the 74 Tail lights but get rid of the trim around the outside. It really improves the look. At least it does in the couple pictures i have seen.

Cley

• Cool Hand

Local Time:
                  Thought the same thing ,or black the trim out. Still need to find lenses though for that plan.

• MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  2:33 PM
                  Tech tip for your Oxidized Aluminum, Unload a can of WD-40 and wipe it down with a rag.. Will look good as new and last even after fire up :thumbsup:

Love the front end swap!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                  By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.