The elusive trim piece

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Been looking for a set of these forever..Wonder where he got them? See the plastic rivets under there, is that stock? No wonder they always come off in pieces...
trim.gif

That might be a 65 or older part. I checked my 66 and no trim, just cap plugs, can even see painted over spot weld flash.
20160730_094201.jpg

They were on 64 to 66 Barracudas The plastic rivets are stock and the last spare set I sold a couple years ago for 80 dollars on Ebay. Southern cars usually lost them from the sun.

I remember when I took my 66 apart, mine had metal rivets in it I had to drill them out. But when I put it back together I just used the smaller modern day push pins, they were the right size and held them in tight. They worked for me and don't look bad either.
Bob

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

I've sold a bunch of sets of those in the past year right here on FABO for $50 a set, with the plastic rivets! The center push pin for the rivets is hard to come by as you have to punch them out, and they disappear down the inside of the channel, never to be seen again!!

They were on 64 to 66 Barracudas The plastic rivets are stock and the last spare set I sold a couple years ago for 80 dollars on Ebay. Southern cars usually lost them from the sun.

You are totally correct, mine are long gone. I have had the car 38 years and just now discovered. The 66 seems to have one center mount hole, I checked that and the rivet fit for rivets I have seems correct. I have two different style rivets, both have an OD of about 0.184" without push pin. I am not sure if either is similar to original, nor color. Nylon can be colored with food color in boiling water.
20160801_093051.jpg

Here is the page from parts book found in Barracuda, A Book of Information. EXTENSION 23-34-176. I could not find similar for 65 in the book.
20160801_093420.jpg

If anyone needs rivets like shown I have a few. I think they purchased in late 70's, but do not even remember what the use was going to be. I use a few now and then for electronics.

I'm always jealous of you CA guys when it comes to access to unrusted cars but there's something to be said for rust belt and northern cars (think Canada). Our interiors do not get sun baked. If i understand this correctly those pieces are plastic. Of course they're metal on 67-69's. Put a wanted ad out there and look for Northern parts.
P.S. My last 3 cars have come from CA, TX and NE.

The biggest problem with these plastic pieces is usually not the deterioration of the plastic, but the fact that there are a couple of screws hidden up under the rear window weatherstrip! The holes for the screws are really close to the edge of the piece, and in the case of the hole nearest the middle of the car, any careless installer on the line (which was just about every installer) would run the screw into the piece too tight and cause the plastic to crack! Once the car hit a few bumps, the crack develops into a break, and even if it's not broken, getting the screws out to remove the piece almost always results in breaking the corner off! I have at least 3 sets here, all with broken corners on them, and don't even bother selling those, figuring everybody has broken ones!! To get an unbroken one out of the car intact is a lesson in patience and care!!

I know when I removed mine it was not the easiest job to get done and I was very careful. When I re-installed them I purposely left out the upper screws because I knew that they would crack, the bottom push pins that I installed hold them in pretty tight and the back window gasket holds the area where the screws are missing in pretty tight also. They haven't gone anywhere in the 4 years that this car has been back together.
Bob

-
Back