SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This...

CBBE33CD-5913-433C-BAAC-F33E2A298E0A.jpeg

I like the start of the second paragraph:
“Perhaps it will be wise to approach this subject carefully.”

I don't even know whatin'ell 'tistkal'kemis IS so I guess maybe "I'm out of danger" LOLOL

AND NOW A STORY FROM THE OLD DAYS

My old friend, now gone, I met when I arrived at NAS Miramar in spring of 70. We were both "hams", radio amateurs, is how we encountered each other. He was then a maritime radio operator for Scripps Institute of Oceanography, and installed/ maintained/ operated HF radio gear both onshore and aboard their ships. He was even aboard "Flip" once, look that one up

Anyhow, Gary was smart as a whip, photographic mind 'n all that. During his working years at Scripps, he also got his electrical engineering degree, going to school part time.

He had bought a brand new 70 Chev K20, eventually raising it 8" and 12X16.5, and neat little home built camper 'n all. So one day we were doing some stuff on the truck. Chevy had a REALLY stupid setup for the oil filler. I understand why. His did NOT have A/C which was the reason. Instead of putting the rocker cover with the oil filler on the front pass side, they put in on the driver side REAR. Then there was a big tall-----leaky----extension that sat in there to bring the filler opening up above the vacuum booster

We were adjusting the valves and replacing the cover gaskets. I told him, "you can just swap the covers side for side, and toss that stupid oil filler tube in the garbage." HE COULD NOT GET that CONCEPT through his HEAD. I finally bet him the price of lunch that it would work. ...........and so we did, and I got a free lunch

You can see the infamous filler tube between the air filter and booster

70Chevimage.jpg

-
Back