The MAIN thread for the 360/OEBC

-
I "just happen" to have a pristine .040 over 340 block waiting for a buildup.... hmmm

And I "just happen" to have a standard 360 crank needing a regrind..... hmmm

The trick then would be are there any 4.080 bore off the shelf 360 pistons I can find that are in the compression range needed....

Yes! Rarely listed though since 360’s are not known for an .080 capable bore size. But KB will have these. It’s a simple call to tell them. If it needs to be a place to call up and get them, Hughes engines has them listed. I would myself not call this a custom piston. Perhaps @RAMM might disagree, IDK?!?!

I also noticed shopping around that a standard bore 360 piston isn’t as prevalent as one might think. Though I’m sure there in or at the store/manufacturer’s shelf somewhere.

One of the cool things about most piston manufacturers, is they don’t consider a change a custom piston unless it’s after 1 or 2 changes. It depends on the piston manufacturer.

You can call them and say something like, on this here piston, I’d like deeper valve cuts for a mister lift cam I’m using. It has *** lift. And they’ll take a minute to cut the valves deeper for you.
Or thinner rings or a moved pin. But if you ask for more than what they say is their limit, 1, 2, or 3 changes, “Custom Piston” time! It’s a manufacturer call.

Good luck to all the entries…will be interesting to see the builds and dyno numbers….

And also, if I do this build, i figure i will sell the engine after the contest, that should cover the build costs i think.

Yes! Rarely listed though since 360’s are not known for an .080 capable bore size. But KB will have these. It’s a simple call to tell them. If it needs to be a place to call up and get them, Hughes engines has them listed. I would myself not call this a custom piston. Perhaps @RAMM might disagree, IDK?!?!

I also noticed shopping around that a standard bore 360 piston isn’t as prevalent as one might think. Though I’m sure there in or at the store/manufacturer’s shelf somewhere.

One of the cool things about most piston manufacturers, is they don’t consider a change a custom piston unless it’s after 1 or 2 changes. It depends on the piston manufacturer.

You can call them and say something like, on this here piston, I’d like deeper valve cuts for a mister lift cam I’m using. It has *** lift. And they’ll take a minute to cut the valves deeper for you.
Or thinner rings or a moved pin. But if you ask for more than what they say is their limit, 1, 2, or 3 changes, “Custom Piston” time! It’s a manufacturer call.
As long as the piston carries a SHELF STOCKING NUMBER. It isn't a custom in my opinion. Moving the pin and or bore size changes are outside of the SPIRIT of the rules however-- in my opinion. The intention of the piston rule was to make it accessible for the novice to call Summit or any place like that and order the same parts if they so desired. I didn't really want special "rubbed on/massaged" custom trick parts that the average onlooker wouldn't really understand or have access to. In the end I will never really know what a builder does or does not do--but thats where the honour system comes into play. Again--there's no purse so..... J.Rob

As long as the piston carries a SHELF STOCKING NUMBER. It isn't a custom in my opinion. Moving the pin and or bore size changes are outside of the SPIRIT of the rules however-- in my opinion. The intention of the piston rule was to make it accessible for the novice to call Summit or any place like that and order the same parts if they so desired. I didn't really want special "rubbed on/massaged" custom trick parts that the average onlooker wouldn't really understand or have access to. In the end I will never really know what a builder does or does not do--but thats where the honour system comes into play. Again--there's no purse so..... J.Rob
Gotcha. This is what I thought the case was.
Though I did wonder if a place that offered a 4.100 piston to the end user at no charge, they have in stock and isn’t readily seen at Summit or Jets OK for use.

An example would be a piston with or with a rotating assembly for the 3.58 stroke crank in a 340 block from Hughes engines or Campbell OK? If not, that’s fine. Such a combo may yet present itself to me and if it is not OK, that’s not a deal breaker for me.
If it’s a no go here, then that set up won’t get done. Simple as that.

I have decided on my pistons, my rods, and my basic shortblock details, now to decide on what my cylinder head strategy is gonna be......

I have to first sonic check a pair of 340 blocks I have. The engine I am putting together will hopefully be for my ‘73 Cúda 4spd.

If this doesn’t pan out to my liking, I do have a ‘85 - 360 virgin bore engine. It was a little weird to discover the bore measured sub 4.00 on a quick measurement.

Where ya at @RAMM?

@TT5.9mag, are you building anything?

I have heads selected, 1 of 2 camshafts to figure on, piston selection still out in the breeze.

I'm curious what people think the max output numbers will be and at what rpm.

I'm curious what people think the max output numbers will be and at what rpm.
Not me, I don’t care. I’m also not using the biggest cam I have, the highest flow cylinder heads, biggest header or a tunnel ram for this fun build.

This will be a hot street engine or a mild bracket racer depending on your point of view.

The build will be easily repeatable buy anyone.
It will not be a high science, well thought out build.
The build will have short comings. How many is a point of view.

The build will reflect a typical and basic rebuild technique with just simply using upgraded parts readily available to the general public that will show case what can be easily done and obtainable.
In short, most any member or reader here at FABO will be able to point and click the parts to be delivered at home to replicate or modify as they see fit for there own car.

This is all for fun, I happen to be ready to build an engine now and I don’t care if I get creamed in the power department in this fun. I expect to loose going up against my better seasoned competitors. But I’m still in and I’m goona have a little fun.

(As a side note, if I get the engine set up (Bore & Stroke) that I want to end up with for my ‘73 Cúda, the 4bbl will come off and the 6 pack will go on top.)

@TT5.9mag, are you building anything?
Building is a stretch. Ma mopar could take most of the credit. I’m not quite ready to say I’m in 100% but there is a solid chance I will submit an entry. I have a few “irons in the fire” and I’ll leave it there for right now. As soon as I know a timeline for the challenge I’ll be able to know more.

Building is a stretch. Ma mopar could take most of the credit. I’m not quite ready to say I’m in 100% but there is a solid chance I will submit an entry. I have a few “irons in the fire” and I’ll leave it there for right now. As soon as I know a timeline for the challenge I’ll be able to know more.
I was in the middle of repairing W2 heads with replicaracer43’s guidance. I just reassembled them for later. After this build, I’ll get back to them.

As of right now I’m doing an 5.9 engine up for a ‘73 Duster. That’ll take a few minutes. Same like yourself, stock long block, sprinkle performance parts on top.

Mine will be a little different because it’s currently assembled and running. Albeit with turbos and a completely different camshaft and compression than I would use for the challenge. But that stuff can easily be changed. Easy because it’s on a run stand and not in the car.

Nice! I have to put mine together. Also get a radiator.

Well, IF! You’re up for it, great. But like I said before, if I wasn’t in the market or ready to do this I would not. IDK if I’d do all that’s required on your end. It is situational.

Mine will be a little different because it’s currently assembled and running. Albeit with turbos and a completely different camshaft and compression than I would use for the challenge. But that stuff can easily be changed. Easy because it’s on a run stand and not in the car.
I need a run stand any recommendations?

I need a run stand any recommendations?
I built my own garbage. I went down to the local steel supply house and bought box beam that slid into each other. The basic size was 2X2 inch. It to length and welded at home & away I went.

In the end it was cheaper than a stand @ Summit racing and more run to build myself but the one at summit is a huge time saver and comes ready to assemble and test your engine right quick.

Legendary member, Tony 70AARCuda IIRC the screen name listed up his be purchased from Summit. Pretty neat and nice. A little pricey? Yea maybe. Cutting and welding your own is a skill set most of us have. If you don’t, or not into building your own, Summit is your place.

@RAMM …. Could I do an “ outlaw “ entry in the contest… say a 420 plus inch stock block build…some kind of aluminum heads non-offset rockers…lots of porting to the heads… big cam to make peak power north of 7000 rpm…basically to test the long running theory that you can’t get enough head on a stroker …. and strokers don’t rpm…

-
Back