The MOPAR power myth?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I grew up with "MOPAR makes power."

When I got my first one i figured I would keep it all Ma, but now I just don't know.

The rear ends ain't great, so swap a 8 3/4 or 9" or 60.
Trans, ehhh.... Also just ok...

Let's be honest the bottom end, oiling, geometry, and heads are ehh....not the best...

The cost is stupid, so what the hell....

I'm 8K Into my 512 and it's not done. Aint even seen the machine shop yet....

Why?
Cost per HP just don't add up.

The dark side is calling....

Because any Tom, Dick, or Harry can go out and get their big azz, mail order crate motor like they do on Overhaulin’. You got something unique and envious, Dude! They go to the “Dark Side”, cuz it’s the easy way out. You, on the other hand, are a pioneer!

When I got my first one i figured I would keep it all Ma, but now I just don't know.

Let's be honest the bottom end, oiling, geometry, and heads are ehh....not the best...

Why?

It's resurrection of 50-60 year old engine design ..To be updated requires: research time , designing, and dyno time , by experienced professionals. Mopar doesn't move mass production like a Chev , or a Ford . I know your pain , believe me .

Your 512 will surprise you. It's not all about peak hp, average hp through your operating range is most important and the bottom end grunt of a stroker BB will give you power everywhere.

You are correct in your assessment. With that being said, we do it because we end up with something that DOES run hard, is not a Chevy or a Ford, and probably won't see another like it on cruise night. It WILL cost more money to get there, but once you fire it off and hear that exhaust note you won't be adding your receipts! Buy quality, used parts where you can to save some major dollars. Plan your build and STICK TO IT. Making changes costs twice as much.

Everyone knows that mopar cost more.

Where mopar use to shine is you could do a lot with stock parts. But now the aftermarket has took over. Any engine can be a super star. So ya it make more economical sense to build a Chev and a killer one at that.
If you into that.

But mopar guys are a crafty bunch and we can hold our own even with limited aftermarket support.

Really if you want performance dollar value no one would build old cars. You can go get a C5 vette pretty cheap and it would take a lot more money to make any old car a better all around performer.

Lots of bashing from the poster with issues on the engine design. Gotta disagree, BBM engine is a good design and very durable when build correctly. Yea the block has HP limitations but they all do. If you think a BBM has poor valve train geometry you better switch to an overhead cam motor.

That being said, the new cars have potential to walk all over these old dinosaurs with a little bit of forced air. Not gonna lie, been thinking about ditching the roadrunner for a hellcat. I’d hardly call that the dark side though.

And you haven’t seen expensive until you’ve built a gen2 hemi. Push rod angles in those aren’t for the faint of heart either.

Last edited:
In the Mopar world,it's what you think it will cost,,,then multiply X3 !
For me price isn't the main objective,it's to be different.Last car show,say 100 cars.There was 1 Valiant. Nuff said.

There's nothing wrong with any of the big 3.....
American muscle is all awesome.
I can see the beauty of a well built Mustang or a GTO....and MANY others....

I grew up around Mopars.....and just never had the chance to own one....
I finally got my Cuda.....
I think it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I don't care that it costs more to build....

20171121_062931.jpg

Jeff

I use to hate anything but MOPAR. Maybe I’ve mellowed a bit as I got older, but still love MOPAR’s most. I hate going to car shows to walk by all the cookie cutter cars just trying to the MOPARs. I respect the work someone puts into any car, but my heart is where the Pentastar is.

young, and poor, and competing with low dollar, Mopar WAS the cheapest to build. My induction systems came straight from the junkyard. 20 bucks for TQ/cast intake from Maxi Vans. Porting heads at home was about free. Lapped valves at home. Tweakin'/tunning was the price of gas only. Big horsepower? no. Smok'n 350 Camaros? you bet :D

I love seeing all types of muscle cars as well, what I hate is going to car shows and seeing the new corvettes, camero' s even the new chargers and challengers, when I go to a car show I want to see old cars, yeah mostly you see chevy and ford and a few mopars, but that's what sets us apart, plus you ask some of the other brand car people and they have no clue what is in their cars or specs, where most mopar guys do. Cope I have just about the same in my small block and still need crank and rods yet, but part of mine is the aftermarket block I went with.

I always explain it as......
If you want something dependable, that you just want to hop in and drive, can find parts for it from the guy walking past your house, and go to a car show and see 50 just like it.....Buy a Chevy
If you want something that runs but always seems to have something minor wrong with it, but you can get the part from the parts store same day, and you'll see another one at the car show...buy a Ford
If you want something that runs great, but when it's broke it's BROKE, you don't mind waiting a week for the part, but you'll have the only one at the car show .... Buy a Mopar
I've owned Ford's, Chevys, Mopars even a Volvo and a ricer
I used to be a mustang guy and I'm talking 60s mustangs including a 69 mach 1 but I got my first Mopar in 1982.....… a 67 charger 440 and never looked back
As far as I know Mopar is the only maker to be banned from NASCAR, NHRA and the demo derby and that has to count for something
And if you think of the most revolutionary, iconic engine that that every fast car at the strip was running in the 60s 426 hemi comes to mind
Yeah Chrysler Corp has had it's problems recently but if you want a well built dependable new car...Buy a Honda
Yes Mopar is a love/hate relationship I just wish these newbies would quit mistaking my 74 duster for a nova

I don't explain noth'n to nobody....... each to their own...... I don't care who likes what..... the more people that walk away from Mopars the cheaper my parts/cars will be... :D

Look, if you want to switch, switch. You don't need any of our permission. your money, your life, better do what makes ya happy. If I was going to go all Chevy tomorrow, I'd just do it. I wouldn't post anything.... except a bunch of junk for sale :D

Last edited:

Why?

Hasta la bye-bye baby. I man has gotta did what a man's gotta did. Dad said, "Jimmy, you have to be smarter than your engine!"

If it bothers you that much, sell all of your Mopar stuff and buy a bellybutton car and save some $$$$$.
I liked them all back in the day even though i never did understand Fords or AMCs.
I grew up with Cadillac, Olds, Chevys, and Mopars.
I chose Mopars, but i won't bash the others at all.
I stick with Mopars because it's what i know and have.
All makes have the potential to be a lot of fun to build and drive, and all have flaws in design or something............
Bang for the buck?
Buy a new performance car of your choosing.

Why?

I feel your pain brutha, I got $10,000 into my 416 build and I am not sure if I'm even done. But remember if it was easy everyone would do it and there is a cost associated with being different and standing out in a crowd of Camaros and Mustangs. Keep your chin up and grin and bear it, you are one of the few dare to be different people.

The work you have already done to your car has been great, once you get over this hump and finish the engine, you fire it up for the first time and all this fades away and you'll be happy you stuck with it. Mopars always pay off in the end when you hear that sweet sound.

Oh, there isn't anything wrong with Ford or Chevy. I grew up with Mopar because that is what my Dad raced. If he was a Ford or Chevy man, I would have still followed him. It is okay to change your mind. Be at peace.

young, and poor, and competing with low dollar, Mopar WAS the cheapest to build. My induction systems came straight from the junkyard. 20 bucks for TQ/cast intake from Maxi Vans. Porting heads at home was about free. Lapped valves at home. Tweakin'/tunning was the price of gas only. Big horsepower? no. Smok'n 350 Camaros? you bet :D

Not having a lot of money but owning a Mopar is kinda like when I dropped out of school. ...
I still got it, but I had to work harder for it.

Like porting my own heads instead of paying someone else to do it. ....

Jeff

The man makes the car. I've met many a d**khead driving a Mopar. Even been labeled that myself.

@Cope

Going to a stroker just added a good chunk of change to the build. Once you leave the stock configuration your going to add a lot of extra money and complications.

MoPar transmissions are the last to be developed by the aftermarket and upgrading the OE trans can only go so far. The trans was never designed to go racing. Making such modifications may or may not be possible and if they are, you may pay more than just a little bit to keep the 727 over a cheaper and stronger built GM trans. It could have been the other way around but it isn’t.

Same for the rear! The 8-3/4 is an excellent rear, but, again, it was never designed to go racing or handle the ridiculous power of the big stroker.

Out of the big 3, we are last! That adds cost. Try and build a Buick or a Caddy!

The one thing I have noticed is that no matter what your building, power costs money and if you start in with big powered strokers it doesn’t matter who you with, your gonna pay. If money wasn’t an issue, pound for pound, it just comes down to what you can do with the OE design or what the aftermarket has for you. Here, science comes into play.

Oh! Jeff! She’s a beauty!!!!
I love looking at that car.
So sweet.

-
Back