The nuances of AM speaker brackets ('65 Barracuda)

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I have two '65 A bodies (Formula S and Signet convertible) that had factory AM radios. The question I have is: what orientation should be used when attaching the factory speaker bracket to the speaker?

The rotten speaker in the foto, came from the Signet. I could not feel any screws or bolts attaching it to the dashpad, so I decided to remove the heater control for better access. When I removed the heater control, the speaker came crashing down to the floor all by itself. Evidently, it was not attached.

The rebuilt speaker in the foto was in the Formula S. It was in the same shape as the rotten speaker in the foto. I don't know what orientation was used on the bracket for the rebuilt speaker (before the rebuild), because I did not take notes/fotos.

Looking at both speakers together, I see the speaker bracket is attached differently on the two. The rebuilt speaker has the flat portion facing up, the other speaker has the flat portion facing down and some old gasket/silicone can be seen on the topside (this side up seems to have a step/indentation--not flat).

Was the bracket on the speaker that fell out on top of me (the old one) installed correctly or is the bracket on the rebuilt speaker installed correctly? Details, details, details ...

DSC04485.JPG

The one with the bad speaker is correct. There should be a cloth covering over the speaker when it was new.

Here's a speaker mounted in my '65 Formula S.

8a89pop.jpg

Mine are rebuilt here in a stereo shop. Don't know yet if they are going to work (or sound good). The price is right at $200.00 pesos ($11.00 US). I purchased some cloth today at another stereo shop, so I can keep the cones clean. I am just going to try out the old factory stock radio because I am curious what those sounded like.

Last edited:
Is that some kind of firewall/dash brace underneath the speaker in the foto above, or are my eyes playing tricks on me. I don't remember seeing a brace in my '65 Formula S in that location.

Is that some kind of firewall/dash brace underneath the speaker in the foto above, or are my eyes playing tricks on me. I don't remember seeing a brace in my '65 Formula S in that location.
If we are looking at the same thing, that's the cable going to the heater box.

ZcCIYiX.jpg

@Valiant63 and others- I use door speakers from Dodge Vans, about '85-'96. They are the correct 6" x 9" size for the original bracket AND are the correct 8 ohm resistance for the early AM radios. Depending on year it can be helpful to get the Vans speaker plug and a couple inches of wire lead to adapt it to your harness.

About 10-15 years ago, I used to buy replacement speakers at Radio Shack for about $7. If you can even find a Radio Shack these days, they don't sell the replacement speakers any more. All of a sudden, it's $200 for a paper speaker from "restoration" sources. Weird....

@Detroit Iron - recent searches of Ebay failed to turn up any of those speakers you refer to. I found an old box with part number and was curious. It was nice to have that source while it lasted. Was surprised that poster dibbons only pays $11 (U.S) for rebuild as quotes obtained by myself have been closer to the $200 (U.S.) you mentioned. It was rebuild cost that drove me to look for alternatives.

The speaker magnets in my two original factory speakers seem very weak, so I am not getting my hopes up.

What size are these '65 Mopar dash speakers anyway? Where do you take the measurements?

Just measuring the speaker inside the speaker frame I come up with a pretty odd figure of:
5 3/4" by 8 1/4".

Last edited:
I have two '65 A bodies (Formula S and Signet convertible) that had factory AM radios. The question I have is: what orientation should be used when attaching the factory speaker bracket to the speaker?

The rotten speaker in the foto, came from the Signet. I could not feel any screws or bolts attaching it to the dashpad, so I decided to remove the heater control for better access. When I removed the heater control, the speaker came crashing down to the floor all by itself. Evidently, it was not attached.

The rebuilt speaker in the foto was in the Formula S. It was in the same shape as the rotten speaker in the foto. I don't know what orientation was used on the bracket for the rebuilt speaker (before the rebuild), because I did not take notes/fotos.

Looking at both speakers together, I see the speaker bracket is attached differently on the two. The rebuilt speaker has the flat portion facing up, the other speaker has the flat portion facing down and some old gasket/silicone can be seen on the topside (this side up seems to have a step/indentation--not flat).

Was the bracket on the speaker that fell out on top of me (the old one) installed correctly or is the bracket on the rebuilt speaker installed correctly? Details, details, details ...

View attachment 1715151018

after removing the bracket and cleaning up mine I used these types that have original 8ohm . works great for an AM radio. I have not tried it on am AM/FM combo. I really hated paying over 50.00+ for an 8 ohm speaker.
6X9 REPLACEMENT SPEAKER FOR MS PACMAN /GALAGA | eBay

The shipping for the e-bay speakers is $10.00, maybe that's how they make a profit. The 2 reviews give them 5 stars, but no detailed comments.

I am just going to try out the old factory stock radio because I am curious what those sounded like.

They sounded a lot like pouring peas on linoleum but that was what there was back then. Theres something to be said for original stuff. You can always add something hidden if you want better sound.

The shipping for the e-bay speakers is $10.00, maybe that's how they make a profit. The 2 reviews give them 5 stars, but no detailed comments.
I have bought about 4 of them and they sound like typical AM speakers. if you want Bass then it ain't happening,No more or less than original. I didn't do a reveiw since I didn't use them for their original application in an arcade game console.
I also looked at a few others and a friend bought this one (higher cost and shipping) HAPP 6 x 9" Shielded ARCADE Speaker, 8 Ohm, 15W BRAND NEW!!!! | eBay
sounded the same as the cheaper ones. Yeah shipping is how they make their money on these speakers. some of them will flat rate em if you ask nice.

-
Back