The one man seat belt and stick brake bleed

-

Mopar Vince

I'd rather push my Mopar than drive any Ford
Reaction score
All my car buddies say they want to come help me (drink beer) in the garage, but they always seem busy when I need a second person. Normally I'd grab the missus but she's out of town.
So what's a fella supposed to do when trying to get rid of that spongie pedal by trying to get that little bit of air out out of the brake system.?
Standing there staring with my beer for back up; I noticed my seat back had about 3-4" of spring back and the plan was hatched. I'd use a stick of the right length to depress the brake pedal and the spring action to move the pedal down slightly without bottoming out and the hold steady position. I used a moving blanket on the seat back and held a downward (tightening) pressure on the stick with the seat belt.
To even my own surprise, it worked pretty good. Not fast by any means, but it worked. And I've heard it said before, "it ain't dumb if it works".
20210117_131906.jpg
20210117_131850.jpg
20210117_131842.jpg

I usually put something between the bottom seat and the pedal. Usually some wooden blocks and a short 2 X 4.

I've done something like that before, used a length of 2x4 against the seat base, and moved the seat forward to gain pressure on the brake pedal. Generally works well for me, I am typically working alone in my garage, have asked my wife to come out and help me bleed brakes when she's home.

I've done this. ALSO (If I may brag) I scored a device made just for this from a THRIFT STORE. It is a pneumatic cylinder which you attach to the brake pedal and the under seat hardware, then run a hose down under the car where you can control it with a valve/ regulator.

I'm thinkin' a pneumatic surplus cylinder ain't all that expensive.......hell you can use a TIRE PUMP

Love it!
I had a 63 econoline van. It had a brake pedal that passed through the floor board. I removed the pedel return spring, tied a cord to the pedel, out the back door, under the body, over the front bumper and onto the pedel. Pull back pedel down, pull forward pedal up.

Necessity IS the mother of invention!

6661BF58-A504-4854-80DF-15475374C922.jpeg
All my car buddies say they want to come help me (drink beer) in the garage, but they always seem busy when I need a second person. Normally I'd grab the missus but she's out of town.
So what's a fella supposed to do when trying to get rid of that spongie pedal by trying to get that little bit of air out out of the brake system.?
Standing there staring with my beer for back up; I noticed my seat back had about 3-4" of spring back and the plan was hatched. I'd use a stick of the right length to depress the brake pedal and the spring action to move the pedal down slightly without bottoming out and the hold steady position. I used a moving blanket on the seat back and held a downward (tightening) pressure on the stick with the seat belt.
To even my own surprise, it worked pretty good. Not fast by any means, but it worked. And I've heard it said before, "it ain't dumb if it works".
View attachment 1715672189 View attachment 1715672190 View attachment 1715672191
Necessity is the **** of invention...
A piece of 3/8” round bar,and a flat piece of steel with a 3/8” hole in it. The knob i added so its easier to push. Wedge it against seat and bob’s your uncle.
6661BF58-A504-4854-80DF-15475374C922.jpeg

See now, that's hot rodding at it's best.
Using that thing that is attached to your neck.:thumbsup:

Need to be a little shorter than 8 feet, but would work.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
Load cargo and keep it in place with this versatile ratcheting cargo bar. The cargo bar keeps cargo from shifting in pickup trucks, minivans, station wagons or hatchbacks. The ratcheting adjustment extends from 40 in. to 70 in. to fit your vehicle. Non-marring grip pads keep the cargo bar from slipping.

• Prevents cargo shift in pickup trucks, station wagons, and hatchbacks
  • Convenient, easy-to-use ratcheting adjustment
  • Rubberized grip pads prevent slipping, won't mar paint
  • Machined steel tubing, gear, lever, and spring
  • Adjusts from 40 in. to 70 in.
Owner's Manual & Safety Instructions (PDF)

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
Load cargo and keep it in place with this versatile ratcheting cargo bar. The cargo bar keeps cargo from shifting in pickup trucks, minivans, station wagons or hatchbacks. The ratcheting adjustment extends from 40 in. to 70 in. to fit your vehicle. Non-marring grip pads keep the cargo bar from slipping.

• Prevents cargo shift in pickup trucks, station wagons, and hatchbacks
  • Convenient, easy-to-use ratcheting adjustment
  • Rubberized grip pads prevent slipping, won't mar paint
  • Machined steel tubing, gear, lever, and spring
  • Adjusts from 40 in. to 70 in.
Owner's Manual & Safety Instructions (PDF)
Ok that's a shorter version of what we use in the transport industry, I was not aware they were made in that sizing, should work fine then

-
Back