The Power of Apple Cider Vinegar for Rust Removal

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
OMG, I would not have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself.

I picked up a set of lower control arms from a member recently, complete with 50 years worth of rust of course.
I had read about the vinegar thing so I though I'd try it.

Bought 2 gals of apple cider vinegar from walmart for about $8.50
Filled up an old tupperware pan, and submerged one of the control arms.
Left it alone for about a day and a half. When I pulled it out, the rust was literally falling off in flakes. About 5 minutes with scotchbrite pad just to knock off the rest of the loose stuff, and I got total clean bare metal.
50 years of rust gone in 36 hours with almost no physical scrubbing or sanding.

Below are the before and after pics.

20180405_160418.jpg

20180405_160525.jpg

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

I have done the washing soda and a battery charger and that works real good for large parts, never tried the apple cider vinegar, apple cider vinegar has a pH of about 6 pH. White vinegar has a 3 pH so it might work faster and better. I will definitely give it a try on rust. I have filled a radiator that was full on calcium and other junk plugging it up with a gal of white vinegar and let it sit for about 3hrs and cleaned it out with a garden hose and It looked like new inside.

That is impressive, will have to try it. I have had great luck with evaporust but it is spendy at about $20 a gallon..

I saw a body guy on Youtube demonstrate this. It works wonders on surface rust on sheet metal. is it cider vinegar or any vinegar that works? I thought I heard white vinegar.

If you want a nice phosphate finish, soak your rusty parts in Coca Cola. It's loaded with phosphoric acid which converts the rust to a phosphate. Rub off the heavy rust first with Scotch Brite so you end up with a smooth, dark gray finish.

I might be "out west" but these parts came from Wisconsin. Might not be as bad as Ohio, but they were still plenty rusty.

I hear you. I:m just mad because it took me about 3.5 hrs to pull both rear springs and shocks (that I needed to re-use on another Jeep) off of a '97 Cherokee, due to some good old Ohio rust !! Was driving the Jeep everyday with no issues until I power braked it a little in a parking lot, and the passenger side front spring eye popped up into the interior. When I got done heating, beating, and air hammering out the springs & shocks, I swept up about 8 lbs of rust ! I'm thinking a California guy might still be curled up in a corner, trembling and mumbling to himself, if he would of had to do that job !!!!!

Anyone know if anything works like that on aluminum for corrosion?

Anyone know if anything works like that on aluminum for corrosion?

10% Nitric acid is the best aluminum cleaner but is very hazardous.
Sharkhide aluminum cleaner is part hydrofluoric acid and sulfuric acid, also very hazardous.

Guess I'll keep on doing it by hand then...lol.

Wonder what white vinegar does to aluminum ? anyone know/ I have a 7 blade alum. fan , that I WANT TO DERUST THE CENTER ON , BUT DON`T WANT TO WEAKEN THE THING AT ALL.
dam caps button !

I've drank Pepsi and other colas my entire life. Even with breakfast because I hate coffee. No tooth issues here.

Yes, I used the $2.50 per gal cleaning vinegar, the stuff really works great. I did this just this past week

000050.jpg

0000049.jpg

0000056.jpg

0000057.jpg

Coca cola, Phosphoric acid? No wonder soda drinkers have rotted out teeth...

I actually tried Coke first, just because my wife got a free 2 liter, and we don't drink Coke. It fizzed and bubbled till the carbonation was gone, but it did nothing to the rust at all.

I might be "out west" but these parts came from Wisconsin. Might not be as bad as Ohio, but they were still plenty rusty.

Dang it , I wish you hadn't said that!!! My car came out of Ohio. Now I feel bad and will not able to quit worrying.
Yote

-
Back