The Problem and the Solution

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Don't know why the nuts freeze up on the lower studs that we use to shim the front fenders to align fender/door gaps. This nut is stuck and the double nut method on the stubby end does not work. I have some paraffin that has been lying around and I found a video that demonstrates how easily a stuck fastener breaks free with a little heat and waxing the threads (method #5 of 16 in video). I have a hair dryer, but may have to go down the street to see my buddy with a torch.

DSC06037.JPG

Came loose with the small hand torch, wax, combination wrench, and mini-vice grips. Anti-seize will be applied at re-assembly. (threads were already chased).

Don't know why the nuts freeze up on the lower studs that we use to shim the front fenders to align fender/door gaps. This nut is stuck and the double nut method on the stubby end does not work. I have some paraffin that has been lying around and I found a video that demonstrates how easily a stuck fastener breaks free with a little heat and waxing the threads (method #5 of 16 in video). I have a hair dryer, but may have to go down the street to see my buddy with a torch.

View attachment 1715298394

Get one of these, Lowe's or maybe even Walmart. They're awesome!
20190304_185704.jpg
20190304_185704.jpg

View attachment 1715298394

Sorry dibbons but that is not rusty! I live were things rust and I think everyone that live in the north east can show you what rusty really is. LOL

Looks like new from here.
I get to deal with rusted crap on a daily basis. I have yet to try wax.

I have used wax on exhaust studs and it does work but they were rusty and like you say it looks new to me. The guys out west have no clue about rust.

Wax also works on rusted or stuck pipe plugs as well.

-
Back