The real 273 HP exhaust sound

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I'm restoring my 65 Barracuda S and was wondering what muffler best duplicates the original exhaust sound. From what I have read, the muffler was a straight through design but is not available as a repo.
This is one terrific forum and a great place to get the "real scoop" on the A-Body cars. Thanks

I've noticed the accurate LTD reproduction resonator does not look like a factory one. I'd buy this one instead:

http://www.nationalmoparts.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1949&step=4

I had a guy make me one based on the drawings provided above, and I handed him an original one to look at too. He made me a nice rectangular tip from stainless steel and used a newer model resonator can, a bit shorter than a factory one but the right size otherwise.

It's my understanding that a muffler was optional depending on what state your car was destined for. I run with just the resonator, no muffler and it sounds great. A little loud, but not too loud at all.

Its a good question but sound bytes might be a better request. That's a big bag of coins to toss only to find out you dont like the sound of it.
The configuration of the parts suggests it may sound like the aftermarket noise maker on juniors ricer. Good luck

It's my understanding that a muffler was optional depending on what state your car was destined for. I run with just the resonator, no muffler and it sounds great. A little loud, but not too loud at all.

I've also heard that some of the early model Formula S's came without a front muffler, but that was changed due to noise regulations. In my 65 Parts Book it lists 2 different mufflers used with the "1-4 Barrel Carb w/Power Pack" engine: 2660 541 which is the Aluminized muffler and 2660 548 which is the Zinc coated version and the "Rear Muffler" is 2660 445. None of these cross over to any other muffler in the 65 model line-up. Never-the-less, it's one sweet sounding exhaust for only being a single.

Sound bytes would great. Lots of good info here! toolmanmike

Somewhere I've got a copy of an old car test that said something like "The car is worth buying for the exhaust note alone." or words to that effect.

The drawings are great. I was wondering where you got the drawings and where you got the muffler in the picture. I did not know the original muffler was formed for driveshaft clearance.
It seems if enough people are interested in buying an accurate reproduction of the original muffler, a company like Walker might be interested in doing the repo.
Thanks for your information

Here's info on the commando exhuast setup (optional on V8 cars, and standard on the Formula S package):

http://www.westnet.com/~mfrank/commando_exhaust.html

I've also heard that some of the early model Formula S's came without a front muffler, but that was changed due to noise regulations. In my 65 Parts Book it lists 2 different mufflers used with the "1-4 Barrel Carb w/Power Pack" engine: 2660 541 which is the Aluminized muffler and 2660 548 which is the Zinc coated version and the "Rear Muffler" is 2660 445. None of these cross over to any other muffler in the 65 model line-up. Never-the-less, it's one sweet sounding exhaust for only being a single.

You are correct. I think the 65 came with the resonator only, and then sometime in late 65 or early in 66 they went with the muffler/resonator because of the "excessive noise."
The 65 Formula S is the real deal when it comes to "the 273 sound."

My 65 Dart that I bought in GA from Chuck Hutton Dodge had the muffler and "resonator". If I removed the resonator the car sounded like it had no muffler at all, so it had to be a free flow design. I have never seen an original 273/235 car, be it Plymouth or Dodge that didn't have the muffler/resonator set up from the factory. Maybe the '67's were different, but I firmly believe all '65 and '66s had the same exhaust combination. The sound was unique and wonderful and one of the things that made these cars "special"

My 65 Dart that I bought in GA from Chuck Hutton Dodge had the muffler and "resonator". If I removed the resonator the car sounded like it had no muffler at all, so it had to be a free flow design. I have never seen an original 273/235 car, be it Plymouth or Dodge that didn't have the muffler/resonator set up from the factory. Maybe the '67's were different, but I firmly believe all '65 and '66s had the same exhaust combination. The sound was unique and wonderful and one of the things that made these cars "special"

Did buy the Dart new in 1965?
I am on the look out for a straight through design muffler that will fit my 65 Barracuda.
Thanks for the information

Yes, I bought it new. All the '65 & '66 273/235 Darts and Barracudas in and around this area all had a muffler and resonator from the factory. I would occasionly remove the resonator and the car was very loud, leading me to believe it was a straight-through type muffler. My recollection is that the few 273/235 '67 cars I ran across were slow. No match for the early cars. Not sure why, heavier I guess with the new body style. I ran F/Pure Stock at the Phenix City Dragway with a best time of 14.47 with a 7-1/4 open rear and 14" cheater slicks. Times didn't seem to improve without the resonator.

Here's a short Youtube video of my 1965 Barrracuda idling. The audio is not the best but you'll get a general idea. The car has a stock 273ci Commando V8 and the Accurate LTD single exhaust system with muffler and square tipped resonator. I like the sound. It's not too loud and fades out above 40mph so it's not annoying on the highway.

Don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVoRSqmPOk0

Nice sound!! Nice car!!! Thanks for your response. I am planning to go to the nationals this year and hope to hear some in the flesh. The exhaust on my Dart is in good shape and replacing the stock muffler with a Dynomax Turbo
helped. Sometime since 1966 the crossover pipe was replaced with a 2-barrell
pipe so that will have to do until I can spend the $750 for the proper system.
toolmanmike

Sounds Very nice Don,

Awesome looking car!! 8)

Here's a short Youtube video of my 1965 Barrracuda idling. The audio is not the best but you'll get a general idea. The car has a stock 273ci Commando V8 and the Accurate LTD single exhaust system with muffler and square tipped resonator. I like the sound. It's not too loud and fades out above 40mph so it's not annoying on the highway.

Don

8)
Did buy the Dart new in 1965?
I am on the look out for a straight through design muffler that will fit my 65 Barracuda.
Thanks for the information
i plan to put a you tube video of that very unique sound these little beast made. i have the sound locked in my mind and will here it again when restoration is done with new old stock parts. i have seen 5 original resonators in 14 years..got too hand it to accurate though.. these aguys are goog

Here's info on the commando exhuast setup (optional on V8 cars, and standard on the Formula S package):

http://www.westnet.com/~mfrank/commando_exhaust.html

When I ended up replacing my original HP Exhaust, I bought Y Pipe, Mid-Pipe, Muffler, Rear Pipe and Resonator w/tip from Year-One.

It was pretty close to the original, EXCEPT where the pipe crosses the front sub-frame, it wasnt pressed out square for clearance. Other than that, it sounds right on. Just have to be careful on adusting it before clamping it down so that you dont have the pipe hitting the front sub-fram.

After about 5000 miles, I also had the rivets come out of the bracket on the resonator tip and replaced with Nut/Bolt/Lock Washers.

In 1965 the standard 273 4 barrel system came with a straight-trough muffler system. Due to the noice problem the front muffler were changed and the exhausts took a loop in the muffler for 1966. This may have been the case for the late power pack cars that were produced. I'm not sure when they changed the muffler. I have October 1964 mufflers at home and they are straight through. I'll check the other ones.

Don

Sounds awesome....my memory of my Dad's car's exhaust it was a deeper "whomp-whomp" sound. Nothing else sounded like it, and it was loud, you could hear it for a couple blocks when he left for work in the morning.

Wow, I remember this post from 08' Not a very good sound bite but all I've got so far. My digital camera nd not my video camera. Mike [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v555B5_uBJ4"]YouTube - HP273- Isky E4- Accurate LTD exhaust[/ame]

-
Back