The search for an 8.25"...can I make my 7.25" last in the mean time?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this...since I already broke the 7.25" once with my 318. :D I'm trying to move forward on my swap but I still haven't been able to find that elusive 8.25" axle!

Do you guys think that if I moved the weakest link down stream to some real "pizza cutter" 14" tires, I might be able to fend off the inevitabe destruction of the stock axle?

Better yet, is there any way to build a 7.25" to handle more power?

Thanks...
I'm getting to the point of looking into other vehicles that might serve as donors...perhaps a Dakota or a Cherokee?

well i dont know what you are doing to it. i have been running my 70,000 mile 7 1/4 behind my 318 for 2 years now after the /6 swap and it is doing great. if you dont abuse it, it will last. if you are power braking it , doing burnouts and **** , its going to brake. especially when transitioning from dirt to pavement. i am running 225/70/15s up to 275/60/15s. i drive it everyday year round. including snow and ice.

well i dont know what you are doing to it. i have been running my 70,000 mile 7 1/4 behind my 318 for 2 years now after the /6 swap and it is doing great. if you dont abuse it, it will last. if you are power braking it , doing burnouts and **** , its going to brake. especially when transitioning from dirt to pavement. i am running 225/70/15s up to 275/60/15s. i drive it everyday year round. including snow and ice.

"if you are power braking it , doing burnouts and **** , its going to brake."

Yes and yes. :D I was a 19 year old kid when I broke it (a long time ago...). I took impeccable care of the rest of teh car but oh, yes...I lit up the tire at every chance. Those days are behind me, of course. ;)

I'm glad you're having good luck with yours...notthing really wrong with the axle but I'm pretty sure that a 7.25" won't last too long behind a 360 with any kind of traction.

-
Back