the stuff mechanics see. My god

-
who was it that used to rent a hemi car, drive it to the track, pull out the engine and install it in his race car, race, rinse and repeat?
I would really like to know where in the old days could you RENT a HEMI car???????

Probably more than you than you’d think. Usually I sweep the floor before I work on a carb or the like but I was in a hurry, so it ended up costing me time and money. Lesson learned AGAIN maybe LOL

Only story I "for sure" know about of an "unauthorized swap" was in my home town. An extended family had been in the car business for years. My Godfather worked for them for awhile as a salesman. He told me once joking, that "they carried every line that went broke. Kaiser Fraizier, Stude, Nash, and AMC"

(At this time they were Chrysler/ Datsun)

Anyhow they had a nice used Chev elCamino that hand a 365hp 327. THE BOYS ACTUALLY managed to pirate that 327 and Muncie out of the 'mino one weekend when the boss/ father/ uncle was gone, and swapped it into a 55 Chev, AND swapped the oily smokey 265/ 3 speed BACK into the 'mino. I HAVE NO CLUE how they handled the engine / trans mounts, if you are aware, the late model has engine block side mounts and a transmission tail mount. The '55 had FRONT block mounts and BELLhousing mounts and NO transmission tail mount.

But there it sat- back on the lot--before the boss got back on Monday!!!

I put an alternator on the wifes Mustang last night in the rain in the dark in the driveway. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nuts but it only took a half an hour and it wasn't cold rain

for Dec in Pa. i did have my heavy Carhartt jacket and a raincoat on over it LOL! Non mechanics wouldnt have even thought of it but i knew off the top of my head what tool I needed etc and how to not arc the hot wire when leaving the battery hooked upo etc. alot of time saving cut corners Just another example of what mechanics "see" :lol:

I worked in a Ford Truck dealership, and we had a F450 come in brand new truck, and it had been to a shop to have a body put on it, so it comes in for a low brake pedal. I test drove it and yea the brake pedal was almost on the floor I looked it over and jacked it up and found the one of the front wheel bearings loose, so I pulled the wheel and found the rotor had rubbed into the spindle because someone at the factory had forgot to put a inner wheel bearing in the hub. Side note the truck had almost 1000 miles on the odometer most likely from being driven to the body builder and back.

I would really like to know where in the old days could you RENT a HEMI car???????
Don Garlits rented a car with a HEMI in it. They got to the track and he pulled the motor out and put it in his racecar. Then put it back in the rental and drove back home.

I love seeing some of the things they find, but it does remind me of the time I spent fixing that kind of ****. Not in a good way either.
I was a advisor at a Buick/GMC dealer for 13 years before I started in the tool business.
There was a GMC customer that came in complaining about his suspension design. (He was a engineer at Deere) He had fashioned a report about his shock absorber "de-oscillation rates". :BangHead: :rofl: I told him if there's a problem, we can replace his shocks but we can't re-design his suspension.

-
Back