The Times Have Changed

-

dibbons

Reaction score
In California it is now unlawful for a child to ride in the front seat (I hope in pick-up trucks there would be an exception).

On page 14 of my '72 Plymouth owner's manual there is a warning in bold print: "Children left unattended in a car should be warned not to touch the parking brake release lever or the gear selector lever."

Now I wonder, is it currently unlawful to leave your child "unattended in a car"?

kid 1.jpg

kid 2.jpg

kid 3.jpg

???
What
???
There are 62 Entry points across the 'border'
dibbons
I am confused,...Your lineage could not find one???
No lack of respect intended or implied.

Do not get me wrong. There are MANY stupid laws in our society but I can honestly say that this one is not a bad law. If you want to endanger your own life then that’s one thing but there is no need to put a child’s life on the line.

My 5 and 8 year olds ride with me up front when were making a quick local trip in town. But they sit in back if we're getting on any highway or going far.

My 5 and 8 year olds ride with me up front when were making a quick local trip in town. But they sit in back if we're getting on any highway or going far.
Kinda like wearing a helmet, or a seat belt...accidents only happen on trips 5 miles or longer

:poke:

Ehhhh, I get what your implying. But I live in a small-ish town outside of OKC. Hardly any traffic and its all low speeds.
I rode in the bed of my grandpa's truck as a kid. On the highway, backroads, etc. Fell out once!

This isn’t a “back in the good old days” thing.

Modern cars have airbags that are designed for adults in the front seats. They will kill a child sitting in the front seat. It’s just that simple. If a kid isn’t big enough use a standard seat belt without a car seat or booster they can’t safely be in the front seat.

I also don’t see the actual text of the law here or any kind of reference. There’s no doubt some kind of age/height/weight standard, as well as caveats for trucks with only a front seat and passenger airbags that can be turned off manually by a switch. It would be nice to link the actual law instead of just guessing or misrepresenting it by overgeneralizing it.

Ever hit a solid object while you were going 25 mph? It’s like falling off a 30’ roof onto concrete.

Put the kids in the back and buckle them up.

This isn’t a “back in the good old days” thing.

Modern cars have airbags that are designed for adults in the front seats. They will kill a child sitting in the front seat. It’s just that simple. If a kid isn’t big enough use a standard seat belt without a car seat or booster they can’t safely be in the front seat.

I also don’t see the actual text of the law here or any kind of reference. There’s no doubt some kind of age/height/weight standard, as well as caveats for trucks with only a front seat and passenger airbags that can be turned off manually by a switch. It would be nice to link the actual law instead of just guessing or misrepresenting it by overgeneralizing it.
Minimum is 5’ tall and 100 lbs to ride in the front in a vehicle with an airbag.

My sisters kid was safely in the back seat, in a car seat. She took him out and brought him up front with her, for whatever reason, at a stop light. A drunk rear ended them going fast. the car seat folded, and if he'd been in the back in his car seat he'd be very dead.
Only saying what really happened.

My sisters kid was safely in the back seat, in a car seat. She took him out and brought him up front with her, for whatever reason, at a stop light. A drunk rear ended them going fast. the car seat folded, and if he'd been in the back in his car seat he'd be very dead.
Only saying what really happened.
While that was lucky, it is a very unusual circumstance. The statistics overall overwhelmingly show that the rear seat is the safest place for children to be.

If California didn't have so many laws protecting the clueless, that state wouldn't be so fucked up. Idiocracy at its finest.

-
Back