The truth about caltracs

-
Okay guys just an update. John Calvert just got back to work after a cross country race trip & looked at the video of my car. Now he says its not spinning but hooking so good that my 60' times are slower, yet et is off two 10's. Does this make since to anyone? If it was hooking better why is it slower ? I did rethink the insatllation , and it dawned on me that when I put the springs in ,the center bolt would not line up with the spring perch on one side.(I could'nt even pry it in place) So I removed it from the rear shackle,loosely attached the spring with the u bolts to the diff., then tried to reattach but then the end of the spring was over 2 inches inboard of the rear shackle & I had to pry it in place while my brother attached the shackle! Also now my rear shackles are strait up & down versus being angled foward @ top like they should be. When I metioned this to Calvert he said that it should'nt affect 60' times, & came up with the above about hooking so good that the 60's are worse. I'm no rocket scientist, but with that much pressure on the spring sideways surely its got to be causing a problem! What do you guys think? All I hear is everything needs to be loose,so isn't this a contridiction?

Any thing binding will cause problems. Everything needs to be loose. The hooking so good its slow sounds like the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. They've got your money, now they want to brush you off.

I,ve been playing with adj/settings all summer(Caltracs/transbrake).I went back to No bre-load,5 on the rear shocks and have been getting 1.45-6 60fts on a non prepped track @ 60*.Every cars setup is different..gotta find its sweet spot.JMO. Agree.. No binding..period.

I was told the same thing about the dead hooking by another racer also. He said with my ss springs I probably was spinning a little so my wheel speed came up fast . The caltracs its hooking so good that the rpm must drop and I have to find a way to get them back up . All I know is that my car ran its best with the super stock set up and would run the same # all day long.
10.29 at 130mph

Okay guys just an update. John Calvert just got back to work after a cross country race trip & looked at the video of my car. Now he says its not spinning but hooking so good that my 60' times are slower, yet et is off two 10's. Does this make since to anyone? If it was hooking better why is it slower ? I did rethink the insatllation , and it dawned on me that when I put the springs in ,the center bolt would not line up with the spring perch on one side.(I could'nt even pry it in place) So I removed it from the rear shackle,loosely attached the spring with the u bolts to the diff., then tried to reattach but then the end of the spring was over 2 inches inboard of the rear shackle & I had to pry it in place while my brother attached the shackle! Also now my rear shackles are strait up & down versus being angled foward @ top like they should be. When I metioned this to Calvert he said that it should'nt affect 60' times, & came up with the above about hooking so good that the 60's are worse. I'm no rocket scientist, but with that much pressure on the spring sideways surely its got to be causing a problem! What do you guys think? All I hear is everything needs to be loose,so isn't this a contridiction?

If you had to force things into place how is it suppose to move freely?
And yes, he told you the truth. Tires stick, engine cant get into the meat of the torque curve and the car cant 60' like it did with some tire spin. Its not uncommon and he's not just feeding you BS.

I thing it really is that every car will want something a little different.

By buddy built a warmed over 360 and dropped it into his 68 Dart GT. If it dead hooked, he got his best et. If it slipped of the line it would lose ET.

He desides to go big block with his Dart and bought a 71 duster for his wife and drops the 360/904 in it.

Both have 8-3/4 rears with 3:91 gears. both had stock suspension autozone shocks.

If the duster scratch out of the hole it would get a better 60" with the from end up. With the Dart the scratch would unload the suspension, front end would drop and tire would go up in smoke.

That Duster all ways amazed me how it love to plant the tire. on the street or strip.

68 hemi dart, 528 race hemi puts 773hp and 676Tq. best on the foot brake was a 1.54, on the brake is a 1.42. we never really had a good track or enough time to tune it out but should go 9.80's if not into the 9.70's.

P.S. this pic is foot braking it, dont have a wheelie pic on the brake but its about 2ft high at Vegas with a cold track.
that's what Im talken about...................................damit .......................Artie

best thing you can do is film it and slow it down and see what its doing ,it took me years for mine to work watch these vids and see the car reacting
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJVS1yTJss&feature=c4-overview&list=UUOQxxVxVYL0GZShonArzcpA"]00131 - YouTube[/ame] normal speed
http://www.youtubeslow.com/index.php?v=QWJVS1yTJss

lol that chevelle didn't even know what happened!

lol yep he done big long burnout and ran a 12 second pass with a 4speed is a good effort but , i made it look so slow lol

hi, a car that dead hooks will bog the motor through first gear. some wheel speed is needed to 60 ft better. reason, I have had dead hook before and lost 60 ft, raised launch rpm, can raise tire pressure, that will help some. then again , I'm not a suspension expert like skrews thinks he is!! funny thing is skrews has calverts under his car, lol. for him to bad mouth calvert is not right.

What about the A body cars, 20" front segments/transbrakes, that do run hard with cal tracs?

There are plenty out there.

hi, a car that dead hooks will bog the motor through first gear. some wheel speed is needed to 60 ft better. reason, I have had dead hook before and lost 60 ft, raised launch rpm, can raise tire pressure, that will help some. then again , I'm not a suspension expert like skrews thinks he is!! funny thing is skrews has calverts under his car, lol. for him to bad mouth calvert is not right.

to tight of a converter

What about the A body cars, 20" front segments/transbrakes, that do run hard with cal tracs?

There are plenty out there.

you saw the landy dart

i had to do some playing to get mine to work. you gotta figure my car is extremely nose heavy, iron mega block, iron hemi heads, heavy cross ram, big cooing system. it goes 3800# with me in it. it pulls 1.44-1.46 60fts pretty consistently off the foot brake, just got back from norwalk and it ran low 10.30's all weekend. even went a 10.32 on the brakes sat night @ 123mph. there is a ideal distance between the difference of the front mounting hole and the rear mounting hole, i forget what it is but mine is off a little. the things that did help, obviously no binding. pinion angle, im at 4 down. and getting the front end loose with lots of travel. i cut the front end snubbers down, put tubular uppers on with heim joints (didn't change the 60ft but i noticed it doing better wheelies), and the calvert front shocks. i run my bars in the lower hole, been setting the pre load to 3 flats with someone sitting in the drivers seat. think both rear shocks are on 5 at the moment. once i figured it out i don't mess with it other than adjusting the preload every time i go out to the track. but your right every car is gonna be a little different.

this is how it looked on the very first outing

after doing all the stuff i listed and a converter swap this is how it looks now

Went to upper hole 1/8 gap preload 18psi shocks on 7 and 4.30 gears from 4.10 . Went from 1.53 to 1.49 all day 10.29 at 131mph.
PS with the 002/003 and comp shocks on 50/50 it ran 1.49 also.

-
Back