The WWII "Messer-Spit"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
LOL. Weird. Germans were handed a British Spit, and installed a German engine, result: This airplane was claimed better than either the Brit Spit or the BF-109 from where the engine came

A strange ME109 story....
I have read many books about WW2 as both my parents were in it. About 5 yrs ago, I was reading a book & it mentioned a version of the ME109 called the Emil. This was apparently an acrobatic version. In all the dozens of books I had read, I had never heard of the Emil. Why was this strange? I was about to leave home to go the funeral of a friend...named Emile. That is not the end of the story. When I was at the funeral I found out that Emile had been in the air force...& did acrobatic flying.
Go figure....

They still lost. Thank God. lol

"IF"

Hitler had not been such an asshole and micromanager...........
Germany was not so tight on fuel
Had not gone in so many directions of then new/ untested weapons.........(EG for all the effort, the V1/V2 programs were very ineffective)
And had Hitler not tangled with Stalin

WWII could have had a VERY different outcome

The amount of time, money, and materials (not to mention labor, even discounting the SLAVE labor) of the Atlantic wall project is simply INCREDIBLE

"IF"

Hitler had not been such an asshole and micromanager...........
Germany was not so tight on fuel
Had not gone in so many directions of then new/ untested weapons.........(EG for all the effort, the V1/V2 programs were very ineffective)
And had Hitler not tangled with Stalin

WWII could have had a VERY different outcome

The amount of time, money, and materials (not to mention labor, even discounting the SLAVE labor) of the Atlantic wall project is simply INCREDIBLE
No doubt about it. Things could have bee a lot different. We could have become a communist country long before now.

We had a few chances to whack Hitler, but it IIRC was deemed better to keep the "Bad General" in power than to let any of his subordinates which were all better tacticians ('cept maybe Luftwaffe commander Goering who botched Dunkirk, Stalingrad resupply and Battle of Britain). Using the ME-262 as a tactical bomber instead of an interceptor? C'mon man!

There seems to be little doubt that Goering was a tool

The story mentions a carburetor bump being added to the Spitfire for clearance for the Daimler engine. I thought they were fuel injected, which gave them superior aerobatic ability due to the elimination of fuel starving because carb floats don't like being upside down? Maybe later variants or BMW engines.
My cousin flew Spitfires out of RAF Westhampnett, but was in North Africa by mid-1942.

Ray Sherk at Westhampnett 1941 (2).png

-
Back