Thermostat and housing

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Does anyone know what thermostat and housing i need? i bought this intake and i swear ive tried everything, nothing fits and seals. The intake doesn't even have a step down for a thermostat to sit down into.

Standard Mopar thermostat housing. Like this:
More Information for MOTORAD CH4830
The recess for the thermostat is in the housing, not the manifold.
Stock t-stat is 195*, up to you to decide if you need to run a 180 or 160. I always run a hi-flo one. If it doesn't have one, drill a 1/8" hole in the t-stat for an air bleed as shown.
screenshot_20220430-164813_gallery-jpg.jpg

More Information for MOTORAD 2006195

The "step up" is in the housing.........Gasket first on the manifold, thermostat, then housing. I believe the LA's had only 2 sizes of thermostats. The dealer should be able to tell you which one that particular manifold uses.

Edit: Professor, I'm not worthy. :)

that one linked is the exact one i have, doesnt work :(

So when you say "doesn't work", do you mean that it leaks?
it leaks and the thermostat doesnt fit it either, went to auto parts store, tried at least 20 different tsats, none fit that housing, and most are so small they would fall into the intake

What year t-stats are you asking for at the parts store? In the late '70s Mopar went to a small diameter (Chevy size) t-stat on the smallblocks, and still used them later on the Magnums. Those won't work on your manifold!! You need the earlier size (I showed the listing for a 1970, for example).
Show us a pic and tell us where it's leaking- gasket surface or bolt holes?

its leaking 100% around the entire gasket surface all the way around...will grab pics when im in the shop again.

I tried damned near every year i could think of at the parts store, none of the ones they had actually fit the housing tightly at all.

They don't fit TIGHT. They fit loose. When installed correctly, you should be able to reach through the water neck and be able to spin the thermostat. It may be snug, but not tight.

these were basically flopping around side to side in there

Turn the thermostat housing upside down.

Set the thermostat in the housing recess .

Apply contact cement to the gasket or buy one with adhesive strip already applied.

After gasket is stuck to the clean and smooth housing apply a little sealant to the gasket.

The gasket will hold the thermostat in the recess when turned over to install it. Also make sure your bolts are not to long. These intakes have blind holes and many times they bottom out before sealing the housing. Good luck hope this helps

Turn the thermostat housing upside down.

Set the thermostat in the housing recess .

Apply contact cement to the gasket or buy one with adhesive strip already applied.

After gasket is stuck to the clean and smooth housing apply a little sealant to the gasket.

The gasket will hold the thermostat in the recess when turned over to install it. Also make sure your bolts are not to long. These intakes have blind holes and many times they bottom out before sealing the housing. Good luck hope this helps
I just ran into the exact same problem. do they make these housings with the neck at an angle instead of straight up?

This is what was on the intake with no thermostat. It came with a o-ring and no recess for a thermostat.
Is there a Motorad style with the t-stat recess like the 4830kt housing but with the neck at this angle so I don't have to buy a new top radiator hose?
Most pics on the internet don't show the mounting face. or dimensions.
Angelo aka Guido
bsp-90320_xl.jpg

-
Back