Thermostat, chasing cooling issues in my 2004 4.6 liter Ford V8

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
EC6AE2E1-8CAB-41F9-8C74-684EB30D0952.jpeg
2004 Lincoln Towncar.

there is a rock AND a screw holding the thermostat open!

I know every old timer here can one-up-me, but I would not have believed it if you told me-One screwed thermostat!

replaced the radiator fan & control module (went ahead anyways as the car is almost 20 years old, replaced the thermostat, and the ECT Sensor is next. Car only over heats with A/C on sitting at lights, or sitting in traffic long enough. It is hot out. Have already conducted a drain and fill while in Automotive class (they promised me a flush, no such thing occurred). The car has a new radiator.

would love to hear some exotic stories added-maybe suggest a specific thread on the forum.

Are you saying you put a new thermostat in and it still over heats sitting with the AC on? Does it have an auxiliary AC fan perhaps that's not operating?

Look up your coiling system capacity and make sure you have enough coolant in it and not trapped air.

Our small block mopar V8s and radiator cooling systems take a full 4 gallons.

Trick to get the trapped air out of the engine block and heads.

Screenshot_20220430-164813_Gallery.jpg

Drill 1/8" hole in the thermostat to let the air out as you are filling the system through the radiator.

There is a cover between rad and condensor. The plastic shield across the front. Plastic buttons hold it to rad cradle. Pop it off and wash it out with a garden hose. Have seen a couple of them plugged with deberis. Bug guts and dirt.

Are you saying you put a new thermostat in and it still over heats sitting with the AC on? Does it have an auxiliary AC fan perhaps that's not operating?
Big electric fan,2 speed. Connector could be bad.

Just

just put the thermostat on just now (when I posted)-previously though, in the winter, the car would not warm up at all.
Of course not. The thermostat was hung open with a rock and a screw. lol

Look up your coiling system capacity and make sure you have enough coolant in it and not trapped air.

Our small block mopar V8s and radiator cooling systems take a full 4 gallons.

I did contemplate some sort of system burping out fluid.

it had a drain and fill this past spring while in class, and I have checked the fluid, it wasn’t low. We filled a 2 gallon pitcher with half distilled water and half antifreeze when we filled it. When I checked it yesterday and today it was full of coolant, and I did have to add 3/4 quart of oil to the car a few days ago.

Thank you sir, the connection was difficult to reconnect, I lubed it with diaelectric grease. The ‘control module’ comes with an assembly of the electric fan and shroud all together.
Have you confirmed the fan WORKS?

Only other thing is water pump,poor flow at idle. I doubt it though.
Did have a jeep with a plugged rad,engine boiling over. I put my hand behind rad, air was cool yet engine was boiling. I cut rad open and most of the cores were blocked.

-
Back