These shocks added height to my Duster's stock suspension

-
I knew this wouldn't get everyone tickled.... LOL. When I posted the thread about "what shock to raise back end", I also knew that wouldn't be popular. But hey, neither are my traction bars, and my perches on that B-body rear end aren't in the exact location. So I'm a bucket of doom to some... LOL, I might as well throw spring shackles on too :D . But let me say this, over 30 years of owning, driving A-bodies and mopars, I've avoided all the doomsayers prophecies thus far. Anything can happen to anyone or any object. I'm no exception, but neither is anyone else! :)

I knew this wouldn't get everyone tickled.... LOL. When I posted the thread about "what shock to raise back end", I also knew that wouldn't be popular. But hey, neither are my traction bars, and my perches on that B-body rear end aren't in the exact location. So I'm a bucket of doom to some... LOL, I might as well throw spring shackles on too :D . But let me say this, over 30 years of owning, driving A-bodies and mopars, I've avoided all the doomsayers prophecies thus far. Anything can happen to anyone or any object. I'm no exception, but neither is anyone else! :)
Here is how mine sat with new leafs and shackles. Not super high but alot higher than with th old springs.( Picture #2)

20180829_104511.jpg

20180829_104610.jpg

I have some pictures. I have checked the frame rails everything looks ok to me. I dont think it's anything wrong with it I think they just sit lower than my liking. I see it on alot of them most of the a body hardtops I have seen that I like the way they set have ss springs which is something I'm gonna do eventually.

I sure hope it's ok. Might be just the leaf springs. Sitting up it the worst for them because they get no rebound action, they just sit there and sag and sag and sag. Kinda like your old lady's titties over time. Oh, sorry.....it slipped.

Were those NEW leaf springs? I think you had something wrong......like maybe the wrong spring. Of course....and you've already said this, but the shackles ain't a good idea. You'll get it sorted out I am sure.
Something is wrong in the upper picture. Don't know what, but the shackle shouldn't be at 12 and 6 like it is.

Should be back at 8ish.

Those were the new springs yes. Those are the ones I still have I guess its possible I got the wrong ones I was only 17 when i put those on I didnt know much. Still dont apparently lol. I didnt know the spring hangers (shackles) were supposed to be angled.

Those were the new springs yes. Those are the ones I still have I guess its possible I got the wrong ones I was only 17 when i put those on I didnt know much. Still dont apparently lol. I didnt know the spring hangers (shackles) were supposed to be angled.

Measure the front segment. That's from the center of the front eye bolt to the leaf spring centering pin on the springs. It should be 20". The angle of the shackles tells me that might not be what they measure. The bottom of the shackle should be either vertical, OR pointing toward the front of the car slightly, preferably the latter.

Here is a more recent picture I have a picture somewhere of take the 7.25 rear out but I cant find it it must be on my other sd card I recently changed sd cards in my phone. Oh and I'm taking the helper springs off too. Lol

20190527_090602.jpg

Measure the front segment. That's from the center of the front eye bolt to the leaf spring centering pin on the springs. It should be 20". The angle of the shackles tells me that might not be what they measure. The bottom of the shackle should be either vertical, OR pointing toward the front of the car slightly, preferably the latter.
Ok I will do that in the morning thanks!! If they are incorrect what springs (on a budget) would you recommend?

I have another question. If the distance from the front to the centering pin is wrong wouldn't that have threw off my driveshaft length?

Ok I will do that in the morning thanks!! If they are incorrect what springs (on a budget) would you recommend?

The stock 340 car XHD springs. General Spring or Springs and Things or Mancini are good places to deal with. If you deal with Mancini, get THEIR brand springs, not Mopar Performance.

General spring looks to have the best price. 109 for the HD springs and 99 for the standard

I thought my SS 002 and 003 Springs were around $100 each a few years ago. But that gives you the Canterd look..

General spring looks to have the best price. 109 for the HD springs and 99 for the standard

Call and make SURE those ate the XHD springs, the "340 springs". That should do it. If I were you, I would make a thread asking to see the XHD springs on Darts to see if that's what you want. I am sure plenty of these guys have them.

Before you spend anything though, I would double and triple check the car to make sure nothing's wrong. Measure the front segment and inspect everything real close. Last thing you wanna do is spend unnecessary money.

Call and make SURE those ate the XHD springs, the "340 springs". That should do it. If I were you, I would make a thread asking to see the XHD springs on Darts to see if that's what you want. I am sure plenty of these guys have them.

Before you spend anything though, I would double and triple check the car to make sure nothing's wrong. Measure the front segment and inspect everything real close. Last thing you wanna do is spend unnecessary money.
What exactly should I look at (look for) what could be ? Iv checked the frame rails and all the mounting points but I will check again.

What exactly should I look at (look for) what could be ? Iv checked the frame rails and all the mounting points but I will check again.

Measure the front segment like I described. If you're SURE all the rest checked out, "I guess" that's all I can think of. Do you have any pictures of the new springs without the shackles on?

Measure the front segment like I described. If you're SURE all the rest checked out, "I guess" that's all I can think of. Do you have any pictures of the new springs without the shackles on?
Yea I do but not with me I guess it's in my other sd card I think there is some in my build thread I will go look brb.

I didn't see any with it sitting on the wheels without the shackles. That would give a good indication of which springs you have.....or if they might be incorrect. How much of a difference did the shackles make? Or have you even tried it without the shackles on?

I didn't see any with it sitting on the wheels without the shackles. That would give a good indication of which springs you have.....or if they might be incorrect. How much of a difference did the shackles make? Or have you even tried it without the shackles on?
Oh my bad I miss understood you. No I dont have any with the new springs without shackles I replaced the shackles with the high lift shackles when I replaced the leafs it was all done at the same time. Like I said I was 17 I wish now I would have kept the factory shackles.

Oh my bad I miss understood you. No I dont have any with the new springs without shackles I replaced the shackles with the high lift shackles when I replaced the leafs it was all done at the same time. Like I said I was 17 I wish now I would have kept the factory shackles.

Well, good thing is, they are cheap. I might even have some. I'll look. You can have them if you want them, but I am sure the bushings will be shot. When we get home from church in the mornin, I'll look. Speakin of which, it's after 3:30 AM here, so I need to try to get a couple of hours sleep.

Well, good thing is, they are cheap. I might even have some. I'll look. You can have them if you want them, but I am sure the bushings will be shot. When we get home from church in the mornin, I'll look. Speakin of which, it's after 3:30 AM here, so I need to try to get a couple of hours sleep.
Yea buddy you better get in the bed ! Lol goodnight!

-
Back