They claim it will warm up and be "nice'

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
But today, May 22, was a miserable SOB. I don't think it got above 48 all day, cold and humid, and breezy. But I got the old 54 10 hp Johnson pretty well nailed back together. All new ignition, coils, condensers, wires and plugs, cleaned the carb, and had junked a similar motor (bad powerhead) and this gave me the intake cover I needed to convert this girl to a fuel pump

Started right up and ran good in the test barrel. Of course you can't test full throttle, even a 5hp with throw water all over hell LOL

For those unaware, older OMC fed engine crankcase pressure to the fuel tank on one hose, which forced fuel to the engine under pressure. This conversion will allow the use of a modern single hose tank. Got it onto the little 12 ft Crestliner, maybe next few days I can "go for a ride."

I still have to get the wheel back in the boat (had it on it's side this winter) get the steering connected and a set of remote throttle/ shifter in the boat.

IMG_2525cs.JPG

IMG_2522cs.JPG

Last edited:
Del, that's a super cool lookin little boat!

That's the one I had out last year with the 35hp on I have 3, one of which will likely get sold

1 The first, the 12 ft Sea King rowboat, I had trouble getting registered for awhile. I've not had it on the water. I will likely sell it

00k0k_a0zsisqxiu1_1200x900-jpg.jpg

2...This one below, the 12 ft Crestliner. Neat little boat, not much freeboard Here when I first got it on the water. I since have cleaned up that lower unit a bit

img_2186cs-jpg-jpg.jpg

3..."The so called new" Sea King 14 ft, I may or may not fix it up. I "may" find something nicer and just sell it. When I hauled it home...

Someone tried to pour some flotation foam in the hull and glue a plywood floor in. Disaster. One problem this creates is it won't drain because of the foam. I've been thinking of doin this. Maybe lay a small plastic pipe down the center to create a 'drain void.' lay a tarp or other plastic in the hull and pour the flotation foam on the plastic. Then apply the plywood figured to tie to the seat anchors. This will create a unitized piece that can be removed for cleaning etc and keep the hull from looking like this one LOL

77379705_197974327903607_6782876043360337920_n-jpg.jpg

img_1115cs-jpg.jpg

New transom wood, new dash, and a bit of pressure wash the hull

img_2464cs-jpg.jpg

img_2463cs-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Had er out for a short spin this afternoon, Good, and some bad

10 hp ran good except at trolling speed, loaded up and fouled a plug. I'm going to have to do several things before I can adjust the carb

1....The high speed knob (lower) has limited rotation. I will have to get some different knobs that have 360 degree capability to get the thing adjusted.

2...Being "in the stern" really causes problems trying to get on plane. Need to get way more weight up front likely get rid of the 'lectric motor and battery

3...The 67 3hp ran GREAT. This indicates the spark screen I inititically left out and then put back in, today.............. "richened" it back up. I consider it "fixed." But when trying to adjust the 10hp, you must have the 10hp tiller folded down to steer and operate the throttle. You can't steer it to right because the engine/ tiller of the 10hp gets into the 3hp. I will have to pull it off the boat

4...I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't goof on fuel. I'm going to take what was in the tank and mix it in a little (quart?) at a time with other fuel to get rid of it, mix up some fresh that I KNOW I did accurately

5...And, I'll inspect the carb and pump for debri. You never know...............

The thing seems really rich at idle and somewhat lean at high speed.

BUT IT DID 17!! mph before the trouble started, I AM HAPPY with that!!

IMG_2532cs.JPG

IMG_2530cs.JPG

IMG_2526cs.JPG

^^The 3hp is not near as large as it looks. Tipped forward, in this tight space, it just "fooled" the camera

Looks like a nice day today ! Beautiful in Boise !
Speaking of boats... I head to Minnesota on the 7th for a 5 day boat campout in the Voyageurs National Park . Only park in the US accessible only by boat . 500 Islands .. we will be 15 miles in.

-
Back