They must think I am stupid

-

Thomas Dennis

Reaction score
I have my 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury project car for sale on CL. I received a response on it so I answered back and this is the reply I got back

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm satisfied with the price and the condition on the list, kindly withdraw the advert from list and considered it sold. I will add extra $70 with the original price while you remove the ad., My husband will overnight a cashier check drawn from a local bank and i will make the pick up arrangement as soon as the check clears and you have your cash

I would have come and take a look and purchase with cash, but my work frame {event coordinator} is tight. So, I'll need you to provide me with the following information to overnight the Payment.

Name to be on the payment...........
Address to mail the check to.............
City, state and zip code .............
Final Asking price...................
Cell phone # to text you on ................

The check will be overnight to you asap and deliver to you within 48hours. Thanks

Might be legit, no way the car leaves my place till I have CASH in Hand. After the "check" clears. The last car I sold, they paid with a cashiers check, but I went with him to buy it at there bank....I saw him get it. All was good.....

I asked them for their phone no. I said I will call them. 70 dollars to take the add down They won't tell me what state they are in.

Sounds like someone is attempting to scam your identity. The line about work schedule is tight makes me laugh, what a bunch of :bs_flag:

If you get the check, be sure to have your bank verify it. I got a check in the mail for something I had up for sale. I just didn't feel right, or look right so I took it to my bank for verification & it was bogus. I then took it to a branch that it was drawn on & again told it was bogus. I contacted the FBI & sent them copies of all of the correspondence & the FBI told me to turn it over to my local police department. Beware of anything that sounds too good to be true.

Anytime someone wants to give you more money than what you're asking and wants you to take down the ad because it "SOLD".....RUN AWAY FAST!!!!!:mad: I always block those numbers so I don't get re-scammed.

If you have any doubts simply ask, "Are you here in my city"....bet they never answer back. When I'm not sure I ask that question they either don't answer back or continue on another conversation without answering.

I can't believe anyone still even thinks about falling for this ****.
AND anyone who would use a scam format for a legit deal is even stupider.
So any way you look at it stupid people are involved.:D

will pay by cashiers check, and Ill show up with cash? Hey, thats 2x what your asking! Give them your neighbors address across st and have them come over. Keep your garage door closed.

When my brother put his duster up for sale a 2 years ago he got almost the same response, we figured it was a scam, I cant imagine someone being too busy to spend that kind of money and not look at a car.

Name to be on the payment........... Elmer Fudd
Address to mail the check to............. 123 Anywhere Street
City, state and zip code ............. Eatme, DO, 69420
Final Asking price...................69691
Cell phone # to text you on ................555-867-5309 Ask for Jenny.

I don’t believe that they think you are stupid.

I believe they are hoping you are stupid.

Scams like this are based on numbers. The more attempts, the greater the likelihood one will pay off. If only 0.5% succeed, they only need to try 200 tries to nail a sucker.

They intentionally make e-mails stupid. They don't want anyone with intelligence.

100% Total Scam

Seen this so many times it is getting really old.

Yeah I will send you a worthless check for more than you are asking, then you give me the extra cash. Then when the bank finds out it is bogus, you are responsible for the extra cash you just handed over to this sucker. And if he walked away with your goods you are out that too.

They always just try to get you to mail them the extra money, then they never show up after that. So you just mailed them your cash for no reason.

There are so many different varations of this scam. The Big Red Flag Tip Off, is the stupid wording they used in their response. No legitinate buyer is ever going to say anything remotely close to that.

When it sounds too good to be true, it is always too good to be true.

Seller Beware !

I've had so many variations on this bullshit scam, I can't even count them all. Even had one idiot try to tell me he was deployed on a submarine! LOL When I told that one to piss off, they threatened to call the police on me! Now that was hilarious!

Yeah, whenever you see 'kindly' or other formal English you know you are dealing with someone from India or Nigeria or Pakistan or …. Also, it is obviously a form letter with no specifics on what they are trying to buy, pricing, locality or anything.

Yes these scams always show up in the first half hour of when you put up a new craigslist post. Scammers have software programs that notifiy them as soon as a new post goes up.

They try to be the first ones to engage with the sellers before the real buyers show up.

These scam responses get deleted right away as the legit buyers start responding to the adds. The scammers know this and work real hard to be the first ones to strike.

Moral of the story: don't get too excited when you get a response to your craigs ad in the first 15 minutes after you post it.

You can be sure the real buyers will be coming in later once they get some time to sit down and go through the ads.

I am of the you never know group. Had a bike listed on EBay. Got a message from a guy saying that he wanted the bike. His offer...I will send you a check for the BIN price....told me to hold on to the check, company coming to pick it up would give me cash...and tack on $100 for my troubles. Next day I got a call from the guy coming to pick it up. They were coming from Maine, I lived in AZ at the time. Be damned if the guy did not show up...on time. He asked me to lead him to the bank I used so there was no doubt to the funds being counterfeit. Turns it the guy that bought the bike was just starting a used bike dealership, and the driver was his brother, they had purchased a bunch of bikes from various sources thru out the country, his brother was out picking them all up. Go figure...

-
Back