thin head gaskets?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the engine in my 82 D150. I know I've heard of thin head gaskets but for the life of me I can't find that info now. I know a Felpro compressed is about .039 or so but I recall hearing of some that are .020. Who makes these for a slant 6?

I'm rebuilding the engine in my 82 D150. I know I've heard of thin head gaskets but for the life of me I can't find that info now. I know a Felpro compressed is about .039 or so but I recall hearing of some that are .020. Who makes these?

Nobody. I've heard of people cleaning up and using used originals. If one was in really good condition and not bent, I wouldn't be afraid to do it with a good splattering of Copper Coat. That's one reason why I've kept several. @Charrlie_S used to have some, but I think he's out of them now. You might could get Cometic to make one but I bet it would co$t. Why not just mill the head to get the same thing done?

The .022 gaskets were OEM, and have been discontinued for many years. As RRR said, I used to stock them, but don't have any left for sale. Just have a couple for my own use. As RRR said just mill the head/block, and use a "regular" replacement gasket, to get the CR you need.

You will occasionally find them on Ebay for anywhere $50 and up (usually 'up').
Factory P/N's 1947578 and 2843182

I just bought some original thin head gaskets for my 318 with the small bore too. Call AMS Obsolete to see if they have any.

Pay attention yall. This is in the slant six section.

I got my 2 sets from Gasket City out of Canada. You call them and let them know what you’re looking for. I got 2 about 5 years ago and the guy said he still had around 20-30 left.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will keep chipping away at this. If nothing else I will have the machine shop scrape the head down to what I need.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will keep chipping away at this. If nothing else I will have the machine shop scrape the head down to what I need.
"NEED??".. LOL...
For the intended purpose of this truck this is a colossal waste of your money...
Time and brand power... You are way way overthinking this..
I hope these guys are telling you the fine print of using a cometic gasket...

I'd cut the head .060 and use the over-the-counter fel pro head gasket

In the late 80's I built a six with forged TRW 8 to 1 pistons, ported head myself and installed 1.46" exhaust and 1.78 intake valves from Ford, .020 head gasket, ARP head and main studs, Crane "turbo" truck cam. I rebuilt a turbo used for an 81' Pontiac 301 draw through set up with a 600 Holley. Used a "J" pipe from the exhaust manifold up to the turbo. This very crude, low dollar, pile of parts withstood a high of 32 lbs of exhaust pressure to make 18 lbs of boost on 115 race gas. I added a fuel tank for the race gas and a three way ball valve to switch back to the stock fuel tank to drive to and from Maple Grove, Beaver Springs and Numidia Dragway. It usually ran low 13.0's at 104mph with 3.23 posi and sorely needed converter and trans brake but was too much money for the time. I had a lot of fun with my ugly green four door Valiant which as anyone can see was very inefficient by the exhaust pressure / boost ratio.

In the late 80's I built a six with forged TRW 8 to 1 pistons, ported head myself and installed 1.46" exhaust and 1.78 intake valves from Ford, .020 head gasket, ARP head and main studs, Crane "turbo" truck cam. I rebuilt a turbo used for an 81' Pontiac 301 draw through set up with a 600 Holley. Used a "J" pipe from the exhaust manifold up to the turbo. This very crude, low dollar, pile of parts withstood a high of 32 lbs of exhaust pressure to make 18 lbs of boost on 115 race gas. I added a fuel tank for the race gas and a three way ball valve to switch back to the stock fuel tank to drive to and from Maple Grove, Beaver Springs and Numidia Dragway. It usually ran low 13.0's at 104mph with 3.23 posi and sorely needed converter and trans brake but was too much money for the time. I had a lot of fun with my ugly green four door Valiant which as anyone can see was very inefficient by the exhaust pressure / boost ratio.
LOL.. he's putting it in a truck to go take dump loads and pick up parts...

That sounds like it was a LOT of fun!

You can share all the stories you want especially on an old thread like this. I just wanted to keep a reminder of the context LOL
Curious what you meant about Cometic gaskets? Thanks.

Curious what you meant about Cometic gaskets? Thanks.
Simply read the kemetic website and see what they say about the finish necessary on the block and on the head..

-
Back