Things You Need To Know If You Move To The South

-
Funny story about grits, when I first moved to Oregon I was explaining to my Dad I could not get grits anywhere much less buy them at the grocery. So we solved the problem Southern style, I sent him Salmon, and in return he sent me grits, as he could not get Salmon in Arkansas. Nothin better than a bowl of grits with some butter and honey.

Funny story about grits, when I first moved to Oregon I was explaining to my Dad I could not get grits anywhere much less buy them at the grocery. So we solved the problem Southern style, I sent him Salmon, and in return he sent me grits, as he could not get Salmon in Arkansas. Nothin better than a bowl of grits with some butter and honey.
You have no idea. Kitty corners the market on southern style grits. Cheese, butter, salt pepper, broken bacon pieces, and bacon grease. You will slap yourself before you get through with a bowl. She also whips up some lil smokies with breakfast sometimes and puts the juice from those in the grits. Kitty wastes VERY little in the kitchen.

You have no idea. Kitty corners the market on southern style grits. Cheese, butter, salt pepper, broken bacon pieces, and bacon grease. You will slap yourself before you get through with a bowl. She also whips up some lil smokies with breakfast sometimes and puts the juice from those in the grits. Kitty wastes VERY little in the kitchen.
Can honestly say I've never had them but sounds good.

And nothin says you are from the South like the obligatory bowl of bacon grease on side of stove to cook with. Everything tastes better with bacon grease!

EC9C2BD5-1A4E-4696-99C9-6F38695BD0B4.jpeg

I get it fresh cought at Kroger meat department, just have to wait till Wensday, thats there delivery day for salmon..love me some pink fish

I did it once, grandma gave me the look as I walked back in the shanty door when I was 13.
Well, thing is, I KNEW what it was and WHY she kept it. I was just somehow on autopilot that day. duhhhhhhhh lol

Northerners are just like hemorrhoids.
If they drop down and leave, they're okay. If they drop down and stay, they are a pain in the ***!!

(Heard that on American Pickers last night!)

* that makes me a PITA cause I'm a northerner and I'm here to stay!

And nothin says you are from the South like the obligatory bowl of bacon grease on side of stove to cook with. Everything tastes better with bacon grease!

View attachment 1715853767

I disagree on this being a southern thing. More like old school good cook thing. I bake bacon in the oven on foil that is cut a little long and use a corner as a shoot to pour the grease in a mason jar. This way you get nice clean grease unlike when you cook bacon in a pan. Cooked 1,000’s of pounds of bacon like this at work over the years.

Open expand ..lol see if this works
Northerners are just like hemorrhoids.
If they drop down and leave, they're okay. If they drop down and stay, they are a pain in the ***!!

(Heard that on American Pickers last night!)
. QUOTE.....
And glad to have yea ! I have heard that many times :lol:I have been here 45 years and I will never move away, friendly folks, we all wave and say hello, smile a lot because we are laughing at something we seen that day :lol:

I disagree on this being a southern thing. More like old school good cook thing. I bake bacon in the oven on foil that is cut a little long and use a corner as a shoot to pour the grease in a mason jar. This way you get nice clean grease unlike when you cook bacon in a pan. Cooked 1,000’s of pounds of bacon like this at work over the years.

I agree, my Michigan family has always done this, old school for sure.

-
Back