Think these tires are too close to the body?

-

Dakota Smith

1976 340 Feather Duster
Reaction score
EE405C48-2A67-4231-9AD4-8BAE09F5439F.jpeg
I just went from 235/70-15s to 255/70-15s on the rear and they are really close to the body now. It’s about half an inch from touching. Do you guys think it will be okay?

Nope. Gonna have a huge problem. Move the rear back.

Depends on how soon you want to replace your fender??

Jake

1/2" is pretty close, you know you can easily move the tire aft with a 1/8" or 3/16" shim.

Treblig

I would make a 1/4" plate and put it between the front spring hanger and the body.

what color did you paint that cop wheel
when I put 275/60/15 on my duster , I sandwiched a 1/4" plate in there and never had an issue

Nowhere near enough clearance. One good pothole will pretty well chew up your tire and fender both.

what color did you paint that cop wheel
when I put 275/60/15 on my duster , I sandwiched a 1/4" plate in there and never had an issue

Id bet the tire gets that big at 60mph, let alone if/when anything moves.
Yep, perfect candidate for a shim.

Those are truck tires. Did you notice the reduced Acceleration? Too big.

This ^^^^^^ in a nutshell. The 275 60 15 height (about 28 or so inches) should be about the tallest tire you go with.

1/2" is pretty close, you know you can easily move the tire aft with a 1/8" or 3/16" shim.

Treblig
Can you elaborate? Idk what that means. I just spent quite a bit on these tires and I would rather keep them if possible.

The shim would go between the front spring hanger and body.

DSC03443.JPG
Can you elaborate? Idk what that means. I just spent quite a bit on these tires and I would rather keep them if possible.
Like everyone and myself have written, you get a piece of 1/8", 3/16" or 1/4" flat stock and install it in front of the front spring bracket (perch). You'll have to drill 4 holes in the flat stock to sandwich it between the bracket and the body. I did that when I put monster tires on my '69 Barracuda.

treblig

Last edited:

You spent quite a bit on truck tires... They are super hard, deep tread truck tires with a diameter of 28.95 inches? The width is remarkably appropriate at 10.40 section width.

You can make it work but next time do your HW. We all make mistakes in building. The car sits like a jacked up 4x4 pickup truck and I can't tell from that picture but it looks like the tires sit outside the quarter panel.

You need to space the rear back. That will take care of the height issue but I see several other problems going on as well. Wheel and tire fitment isn't hard, it just takes patience, time and thinking.

Here is a 10.40 section width / 26" tire under my car before I mini tubbed it.

2013-05-31_18-07-02_756.jpg

2013-05-18_10-57-40_916.jpg

Last edited:
I am not a fan of moving the rear end back, but in ur case I would ! Not over 1/2" , or u might run into driveshaft problems !
----roccodart440, just showing that dart off again !~! lol

Agreed on driveshaft. I had a new one made for mine after mini tubbing and swapping to a dana60. Definitely check it for proper fitment. I didn't have any choice on the setback. IT was stock or 1.5". I used the RMS adjustable boxes. I also planned on initially running the 28's you see and then possibly swapping to 29's. My next set will be 29's. I'd like to drop my cruise RPM just a tad more.

Last edited:
I’m not worried about the tires scrubbing the top of the fender. They’re close to the right side.

I wouldn't be either on your car. You have ample clearance above the rear tire. I would however be concerned with my car sitting that jacked up both due to appearance and function. There is no reason to have 5-6" of air space above your tire, especially with a 29" tall tire.

If you don't like the idea of moving the axle back, which i'll assume you don't based on the way your car is setup and since you liked bobs post. THe other options are... cut the quarters or run a shorter tire.

Here is a 28" tire in the factory location with the quarter panels stretched. If you didn't like the price of the tires, that PALES in comparison to the body shop bill you'll be paying!!

923146_10201040519524575_1737147150_n.jpg

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

-
Back