Thinking of buying a 5.7 Dodge Magnum

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this. I wanted to know if there are any critical problems with these boats before I make an effort to get one. I see a ton that are 130k+ miles but my Dad's 03 Ram is almost at 200k and is only just now the transmission(3/4 ton Cummins towing weekly) is starting to have weak shifts.

I've heard the 5.7 develops problems in its old age.

I'm asking you guys because i trust FABO much better then a salesman.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this. I wanted to know if there are any critical problems with these boats before I make an effort to get one. I see a ton that are 130k+ miles but my Dad's 03 Ram is almost at 200k and is only just now the transmission(3/4 ton Cummins towing weekly) is starting to have weak shifts.

I've heard the 5.7 develops problems in its old age.

I'm asking you guys because i trust FABO much better then a salesman.

I hope I don't burst any bubbles but I am a Salesman. Not Mopars but industrial pumping equipment and I do have something to say about the 5.7 Hemi. I own a 2005 Dodge Ram Power Wagon 5.7 Hemi with 282 thousand miles on it still runs great. My second vehicle is a 2014 Ram Sport 5.7 Hemi getting ready to hit 200,000 miles and run strong I'm a Believer in the 5.7 you got to do the maintenance and don't be stupid with it and I'm looking to get 300,000 plus out of my Power Wagon. That's just my story

I had an 06 R/T. Good car. They can have tension strut issues that makes the front end shake when braking and no its not the rotors. Mine got rear ended at 50 by a Tahoe (I was at a dead stop) and my passenger and I walked away, I even drove the car to the body shop. Frame was bent as was the steering wheel from me holding on to it at impact. Roomy, comfortable. I wish I could get an 08 STR8.

Thanks for the info guys. I just realized that now the police are using the 5.7 so those drivetrains can probably take some abuse. A schoolmate has a 3.7 Jeep Liberty and it can haul *** no problem so i'm betting the 5.7 can move even better.

I hope I don't burst any bubbles but I am a Salesman. Not Mopars but industrial pumping equipment and I do have something to say about the 5.7 Hemi. I own a 2005 Dodge Ram Power Wagon 5.7 Hemi with 282 thousand miles on it still runs great. My second vehicle is a 2014 Ram Sport 5.7 Hemi getting ready to hit 200,000 miles and run strong I'm a Believer in the 5.7 you got to do the maintenance and don't be stupid with it and I'm looking to get 300,000 plus out of my Power Wagon. That's just my story
And I tow with both whenever I need ;)
I love me some Mopars.
20180324_135850.jpg
20180225_142133.jpg

I have owned 3 lx vehicles and I currently own 3, 5.7 hemis. Great platform, and great engine. Oldest one has 180k miles. Never an issue.
The the only issue I ever hear, which I believe to be greatly overplayed is valve seats. As long as you don't overheat it, shouldn't ever have a problem.

The 5.7 is aluminum correct?
You know the only issue I have had with both 5.7s are the exhaust manifold gaskets and some of the exhaust manifold bolts. My grandaughter has a magnum V6 and it seems to be fine and she is hard on cars.

I was going to get headers keep everything the same anyway. Some guy at my school makes exhausts on the cheap but my current car is a 6 speed and after 16 hour days the last thing i want to do is use a clutch pedal.

magnumburnout.gif
I have an 06 Magnum R/T. There is a common problem on the early 5.7 heads. Valve seats come loose in the heads. Maintenance as nothing to do with it. Nor does getting the engine hot. 2 years ago, October 7, 2016 , I was at a Dr's appointment for about 45 minutes and when I started the car to come home, it sounded like a bucket of bolts. Shut it off and waited a few minutes, the same. Tried one more time and it rattled, smoke and missed. Got it towed home. Next day pulled both #1 plugs. Both electrodes mashed flat. 0 compression. I had been following an LX forum about Magnums and 300's. Seems that the 5.7 had a problem with loose valves seats but normally at about 100k. I was starting to research maybe getting a set of upgraded heads with the new style seats but I didn't expect them to go at only 84k. Never overheated ever. Mobil 1 5w20 very 10k. 99% around town driving. I had read that it never happens when you are moving, always when you are just starting the car after at least 45 minutes after being parked. Well it was true. No warning, just start and Rattle. I got a remanufactured engine with just the block and good head cores used over. Everything else new including the 5.7 updates. Over the early years there were issues with valve seats, oil pumps and timing chain sets. about $3K. Have put about 7k on it in the last 1 1/2 years now that we are retired. Runs great but the wife doesn't trust it. Funny though she has been looking at SRT8 Magnums. ?

my current car is a 6 speed and after 16 hour days the last thing i want to do is use a clutch pedal.
Then thank the Lord you don’t have an old ride that required actual street by comparison to what you have now. Never mind a race clutch.

I know some have the valve seat issue. Guess it’s just a crap shoot. My mom has a 07 Durango with a 5.7 she bought new. It has 240k on it. She gets it serviced (oil changes and lube) at the dealer. It still has the original spark plugs! The only thing that’s had to be fixed on that truck was the water pump at 170k. Pretty impressive built quality if you ask me.

How bad of a job is replacing the valve seats anyway assuming you did it for extra insurance?

I had an '05 Magnum RT. Bought it new and kept it for almost 12 years and 250k miles. Besides wear and tear stuff, the only problems I had with it were that it ate tires on the front since it was new, and just about all the A/C parts were replaced by the time it had 150k miles. Rebuilt the front-end not long after.

I'd buy another if they still made 'em.

not sure if id ever car for a 5.7 magnum but id buy a 357 magnum in a heartbeat

-
Back