thinking of doing the swap input wanted

-

Black 69 Dart

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a gen 3 hemi swap and want some input from anyone who is doing or done the swap.
1. Which engine 5.7 or 6.1? want to drive and race the car.
2. stock k member or aftermarket.
3. carb or efi and what controller with efi ( mopar ecu, fast, or big stuff)
4. trans 727 ( which I already have behind the 340) can you get sfi flex plate that bolts in with no modifications?
Thanks for any help
Trevor

Thinking of doing a gen 3 hemi swap and want some input from anyone who is doing or done the swap.
1. Which engine 5.7 or 6.1? want to drive and race the car.
2. stock k member or aftermarket.
3. carb or efi and what controller with efi ( mopar ecu, fast, or big stuff)
4. trans 727 ( which I already have behind the 340) can you get sfi flex plate that bolts in with no modifications?
Thanks for any help
Trevor

1) either one will work fine
2) either one but if you want power steering you have to install an alter K tion
3) either will work I run carbs with an MSD hemi 6. Works wonderfully. EFI stuff I don't know about, TinCup or 5.7 hemi can best answer those questions.
4) 727 bolts right up with an available SFI approved flex plate.

Check out my pics and feel free to ask questions!!!!!

1. Either one will get the job done.
2. AlterK for an A body, stock K for B/E body (power steering no problem).
3. Efi is the way to go for all around everyday driving (winter, summer-- altitude changes when going on a long trip) This is my opinion.
4. No problem there, you can pick those up just about anywhere.
5. The book is wide open when wanting to do this swap, just keep in mind that the bigger the dream, the fatter the wallet, and that aint no ****.

Other then the bore and valve sizing what are the differances between the 5.7 and 6.1? Is one stronger the the other?

Yes, the cranks are a different material. 6.1 is stronger.

6.1 motors are at a premium, often double the cost of a 5.7 when bought from a yard.

You can pick up truck Hemi's pretty commonly now. The truck timing cover has the accessories mounted up high and is not as good looking as the car Hemi timing cover because of this. They are intechangable though it is actually the interference with the frame rails of the classic car that ususally dictates using the truck or spending big money on a custom acc drive system. If you get a car Hemi priced right, you can always just swap the timing cover.

I strongly encourage a cam change while you have easy access if yuo think you will ever want to do it. There are some serious power gains to get from swapping that cam. You can easily get the 5.7 beyond 400 crank hp with a cam/springs change.

I am using one Stu @ www.InertiaMotorsports.com . He is one of the leading buiders of aftermarket Hemi's. I'm expecting a crank hp of about 440hp for the otherwise stock 5.7. Expect to pay around $400 for cam & springs though you use 6.1 exhaust springs on all the valves.

On my 73 Duster, I am using stock K-member, TTI mounts & headers, a TF 727, XV carb manifold, MSD6 spark controller. If the v8 radiator can't keep up, I may use the 04 Hemi Ram truck radiator. It only requires a minor trim of the flap at the frame to slide right into place and they can be had at a pretty low price w/ a trans cooler.

For the flex plate, get an OEM for the Hemi and have the ring trimmed off.

I think I have all the parts to move forward with the install now. Once I start that the installation, i'll post a thread on that.

I'm also working on some discoveries that should help to drive the cost down having to get all these unique parts for 3G Hemi installs. I like using OEM parts where ever possible so that I can easily get replacements in the future if needed and don't have to worry about a custome part supplier still being around when we need them again.

Is there any differance in the blocks? Is one stronger then the other? I am going to shoot for 550hp and 500 ft lbs. The car runs mid 11s and I don't want to slow down but gain driveability. Has anyone used a big stuff 3 engine managment system? Which accessories hit the frame? I need an alt and thats about it, I would prefur to mount it low as it makes for a nicer look under the hood in my oppinion. Sorry for the questions?

Trevor

Is there any differance in the blocks? Is one stronger then the other? I am going to shoot for 550hp and 500 ft lbs. The car runs mid 11s and I don't want to slow down but gain driveability. Has anyone used a big stuff 3 engine managment system? Which accessories hit the frame? I need an alt and thats about it, I would prefur to mount it low as it makes for a nicer look under the hood in my oppinion. Sorry for the questions?

Trevor

Hey,Getting questions answered is what are what we are all here for!!! The 5.7L block has a small bore 3.910. The 6.1L has a larger bore 4.070, as for strength, they are both prety strong with 4 bolt mains. Your best bet is probably a stroked 5.7L to 392 cid with 6.1L heads. That should make for a good running engine and get you what you want.

vbpgimage.jpg

You can pick up truck Hemi's pretty commonly now. The truck timing cover has the accessories mounted up high and is not as good looking as the car Hemi timing cover because of this. They are intechangable though it is actually the interference with the frame rails of the classic car that ususally dictates using the truck or spending big money on a custom acc drive system. If you get a car Hemi priced right, you can always just swap the timing cover.

When you say interchangable do you mean the truck accessories will work on the car front cover? I have a truck motor, car front cover and a car intake. I've been looking for accessories but if the truck ones work I'll use them.

Thanks

Riddler

When you say interchangable do you mean the truck accessories will work on the car front cover? I have a truck motor, car front cover and a car intake. I've been looking for accessories but if the truck ones work I'll use them.

Thanks

Riddler

Hmm, I am not sure if the accessories themselves are direct bolt in between the car & the truck timing cover. I will ask and get back on that point.

The timing cover is a direct bolt on, also must use corresponding water pump. The acc. alt., ac., steering pump , will NOT interchange between the truck and car due to the way each is bolted on. There are companys that make good looking acc. drives for the truck engine, but they are pricey. Save yourself some $$$$$ and make your own.

brake line2242010 016.jpg

brake line2242010 014.jpg

kids and car 090709 080.jpg

-
Back