thinking of switching to electric fuel pump

-

ramman7284

Reaction score
i just bought a holley 600 dp and im thinking of going electric pump its gona b on a 318 with an auto. im curious of whats a good pump to buy since the instructions say it runs best with 7psi at idle and im most certain ill have to put a regulator in. and im also curious to if i can run the wiring to have it start with the key but also shut off when it reaches a certain pressure like these new cars do

Carb pumps run all the time.

It is possible to wire it to run with the key. I recommend a relay kit.

If you want a quiet pump and don't want to mess with a regulator, use this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-4110

The Holley Blue and Red pumps are LOUD.

If you want the pump to live, it is very important to use the recommended filters and have a very good ground for the pump.

You could always use a carter fuel pump(non electrical)and will work fine for your 318 with 600dp.JMO

You could always use a carter fuel pump(non electrical)and will work fine for your 318 with 600dp.JMO

I am a big fan of the electric pumps , but for your application , I have to agree with this.
There are small electric pumps that do not require a regulator......pre set to 6 or 7 p.s.i. , but their volume is suspect.
A good mechanical pump and free flowing filter works really well for a lot of milder builds.
Unless you are well north of 400 h.p. , I wouldn't bother with all the plumbing , wiring etc.

I wouldn't run a electric pump unless I could run one like LXGuy mentioned, or one of the Holley gerotor types. I had a Holley blue pump on my Cuda for a short while. Sounded like a freakin chain saw running. Tried insulating it with a thick rubber mat but to no avail. Worked good, just drove me crazy even with loud exhaust. Most any mechanical fuel pump will keep up with your 318 but if you plan on future upgrades go with a Holley or Carter high output mechanical pump.

Ok then I guess I'll keep it mechanical just need to turn the psi down cause when. I had my 650 on tryin to get it to work right with a gauge and it was reading 10-12psi

That's apparently wat my gauge was reading but yet again it was bouncing like crazy it wasn't steady at all

Better idea.What does,your current fuel system have? Fuel pump.mechanical/electrical? Give us a baseline,if possible.

Better idea.What does,your current fuel system have? Fuel pump.mechanical/electrical? Give us a baseline,if possible.

its just a mechanical pump idk wat company or any specs on it cause its the one that was in the car when i bought it

I agree with some of the others here.....an electric fuel pump is'nt nessassary, for a street car, and they can be loud. I use a "hemi volume" mechanical Carter pump, with 3/8 pickup in the tank, and 3/8 fuel lines all the way to the 750 cfm carb. on my 340.

yes! that carter pump you guys are showing a link to, is the same pump as what was known as the "hemi volume" mechanical pump in the very old direct connection catalouges. The best part is, there rebuildable. I just put a new kit in mine last year.

i guess ill keep it mechanical then but now i pretty curious to why my gauge pulses and the one my grandpa has on his roadster (thos he has a gm engine) just barely moves and i may have to return my carb cause it leaks from multiple spots but like i said i might b pushing to much psi if that makes any since at too much psi causing a carb to leak from metering block and float adjuster

The crazy thing is the 2bbl I had on wasn't leaking and ran fine and that was just a carter I believe

I ran a generic Carter electric pump for years. Great for a car that doesnt see much driving as it'll pre-fill the carb before you start her up. Not loud, just a dull snare drum for 1-2 seconds at start up, then it drops to unheard levels with motor running. Not super high volume, about 5 lbs pressure, just dont run it straight off the battery with a switch, as you can forget to turn it off and pump a very low tank dry with evaporation and itll burn itself out. I could hear my blue pump over 3 feet of header exhaust.....

this is the mechanical pump i have on my hot street 318. 325HP and it sees 6500 rpm regularly. i probably dont have to spin it that high, but it sounds so damn cool. LOL

carter strip super series, 120 GPH @ 7psi

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m6270

I agree. The original poster does not need a electric pump.

Most people that buy electric pumps do so to fix another problem not caused by the fuel pump or because it's cool. Sometimes they actaully will band-aid or mask another problem.

How much HP will a 120 GPH @ 7psi pump sustain?

Sounds like your ready to "Improve it into a failure".
Get yourself a nice little mechanical pump for that teen.
You'll be fine.

like i said ill keep it mechanical unless i end up doing an efi swap but dont think ill do it i love the carbs and plus remembering how many problems my uncle had with his electic pumps one actually broke the magnet inside and that was a holley

How much HP will a 120 GPH @ 7psi pump sustain?

that, I have no idea. I think if i remember correctly, pettybludart ran 10's or 11's with this same pump...didnt you scott?

one of the engine builders that frequent these forums might chime in on what these carter pumps can handle...

-
Back