This is why you dont let *** hats work on your project

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
This project came to me as a bare frame and a pile of tin. I'm trying to make it a truck.

Turns out the owner paied to have the bed shortened, he did not tell me about this...

Some *** hat just cut 22 inches out of the front of the bed....

20190627_144158_zps2ennpi7v.jpg

So.... I guess I'm building a go kart?

And yes, that is the length of the running boards....so I got a bed that is fucked, a short bed frame? And long bed running boards....and I'm gonna make this all work...

You can do it I have faith in you!!
Can you find body panels for that bed and weld them back in to make it long again?

This project came to me as a bare frame and a pile of tin. I'm trying to make it a truck.

Turns out the owner paied to have the bed shortened, he did not tell me about this...

View attachment 1715356071

And yes, that is the length of the running boards....so I got a bed that is fucked, a short bed frame? And long bed running boards....and I'm gonna make this all work...
Now wait a minute, if he cut the front out of the box what I see in the photo is backwards. He shortened the frame. Or he mounted a shortbox onto a long wheelbase frame.

just put a 20" jobbox between the bed and the cab....and patina the **** out of it.

Yeah what @gdrill said. Just shorten the frame and it'll match right up. lol

The wheel base is correct for a short bed. 116". The bed was cut wrong. To make a long bed into a short bed you must section it in TWO places, you cant just cut it all out of one side.....

So yeah, I'm cutting the frame off under the cab, building a new notched frame, new 4 link, re doing all the brackets and air ride on the axle then gonna section 14" out of the running boards... all to save the "patina" that I'm dam sure is fake.....

Ah yes. Save a nickle spend A LOT...
:rofl:

Wish it was mine, I could make one hell of a BadAss truck ! My mind is already going wild thinking about it . 2x4 ? 4x4 ? 440/4speed, 3/4 ton ? Short wheel base ? Cummins diesel, wild going wild.

I'm already thinking maybe he just wants to give up, he can not pay me, leave the truck and I'll build something like this.
chuckles-garage-roll-smokey-crash-pikespeak-7_zps7m0geyo8.jpg

Several years ago on the TV show Trucks, they showed the right way to convert along bed truck into a short bed. They shortened both the bed and the frame. It was very interesting. It also looked like a lot of work, and they did not start off with a mess like that.

Swap fenders side to side,may make box appear correct.
Dunno.
Build it as you see it.
“I HAVE A VISION”
You know-that thing...

A friend of mine. May be you can pick up some ideas. Stoner's Speed Shop | Hudson, Iowa

The owner must have purchased it "sight unseen".
I hope

Thanks tool man, that was helpful.
Stoner has built many trucks over the past few years. Quite a few have been to SEMA. He does great work. My other buddy does his interiors. Over the top there.

just put a 20" jobbox between the bed and the cab....and patina the **** out of it.

That's actually a really good idea.

If you shorten the frame to match to that bed, the truck's traction should be improved immensely.

-
Back