This Never-Raced, Original LO23 Dodge Dart Is Going To Auction

-
Hard to believe that is was never cut up and raced to death. Must be the only one. But that color is god awful on there. IMO. Some will love it.

I cant get the link to work but would love to know the back story .
Very possible someone with connections/money bought it to be a badass street car with no intention of racing it . Then just parked it and never got around to driving it .
I knew a Dr. that would buy cars and seldom drive them and never sell them . Had cars dating back to the 60s with very few miles .

I cant get the link to work but would love to know the back story .
Very possible someone with connections/money bought it to be a badass street car with no intention of racing it . Then just parked it and never got around to driving it .
I knew a Dr. that would buy cars and seldom drive them and never sell them . Had cars dating back to the 60s with very few miles .
Try this link and see if it works.
Kind of a fishy story to me.

This Never-Raced, Original LO23 Dodge Dart Is Going To Auction

A guy in Pottstown, PA back in the early 80's owned one just like it but sold it. I knew the guy. It did say it has Pennsy roots. Wonder if this is the same car. PM me if you guys knew him.

Wow, on a used car lot with 19 miles....Tom Hoover found it, would love to hear the complete story!

Yeah. Tom Hover found it. It's never been raced. lol These morons will say anything to get their price up.

They didn’t come with speedo cables. shouldn’t show any miles at all.

maybe hooked one up to drive on street?

I’m sure this car is well known in the circles. These “articles” are borderline click-bait nowadays. Seems like the text is regurgitated from the Auction description.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that is was never cut up and raced to death. Must be the only one. But that color is god awful on there. IMO. Some will love it.
I love it, used it as my avatar for years, and have a yellow Dart will get the fiberglass front end with the scoop. Sure wish I could afford the real thing, but my car is a shell, I'm not ruining anything.

My brother and his friend both had their cars featured in prominant magazines. Shawns was an ultra clean 67 Tempest Sprint 6 survivor and Toms was a 69 Corvette with a FAST class vibe to it ( looked stock ran 9s ).
When the magazine articlss came out both hadcrap they never said . Lol
They were like WTF ! I never said that!
Point is they take literary license.

Wow, on a used car lot with 19 miles....Tom Hoover found it, would love to hear the complete story!

My guess is that it was at a Dodge dealership and was still on the books as new. Happens all the time at dealers.
Owner orders it for himself and keeps it on the books as a toy then turns it at a profit a few years later. Ford GTs, Hellcats , Porsche GT3 RS , Certain Farraris ( although Farrari keeps a tab on this) See it all the time in the business.

I would have to see a lot of proof before I believed that it was never raced on a dragstrip at all, and other than the door change, the rear end, wheels, and paint that it's ''all original''.
It may be close, and when Tom Hoover found it with 19 miles on it, the car may have been ''all original'' at that point.
I would take it as the car is pretty close, but not truly as it is advertised.

I would have to see a lot of proof before I believed that it was never raced on a dragstrip at all, and other than the door change, the rear end, wheels, and paint that it's ''all original''.
It may be close, and when Tom Hoover found it with 19 miles on it, the car may have been ''all original'' at that point.
I would take it as the car is pretty close, but not truly as it is advertised.
That sounds like a more likely senario.
Aren't these cars well documented by now? Or did a few of them fall through the cracks? There must be 100's of clones out there. Don't the real ones have vin numbers? Just asking cause I'd like to know.

Last edited:
That sounds like a more likely senario.
Aren't these cars well documented by now? Or did a few of them fall through the cracks? There must be 100's o lines out there. Don't the real ones have vin numbers? Just asking cause I'd like to know.

yep. They have vin numbers and originally had fender tags

My brother and his friend both had their cars featured in prominant magazines. Shawns was an ultra clean 67 Tempest Sprint 6 survivor and Toms was a 69 Corvette with a FAST class vibe to it ( looked stock ran 9s ).
When the magazine articlss came out both hadcrap they never said . Lol
They were like WTF ! I never said that!
Point is they take literary license.

THATS exactly what happened here. Look how that click bait Dragzine article twists the info from the Mecum listing.

Horrible journalism and reading comprehension

From Mecum listing…

“ Back in 1977, this car was found at a car dealership in Pennsylvania by no less than the late Chrysler engineer Tom Hoover, who himself had led the Hemi engine’s initial development. Hoover in turn told Detroit’s Lou Mancini of the rare car then showing just 19.5 miles, which had an amateur custom paint job but had never been cut up nor updated to then-modern standards

This one just didn’t get cut up like most of the actively campaigning in 1977 were. It did not say it was never raced! It did not say is was not cut at all. Just not cut like most were in 1977.

The tire rules and class rules changed a lot in very early 70’s. Most got tubbed and had more extensive roll cages put in them.

There are some now existing S/S cars that didn’t get these updates. Either they changed classes, didn’t run in classes competition, or parked.

The Mikey Weiss Dart is sorta like that. There’s others.

Last edited:
Beautiful but Bogus

I went there just to see this car.
NOT original condition - more of an overpriced POS.
went over 200 large and didn't sell.

As it sat .. It was a wore out S/G car with an automatic and new paint

There are still a few original cars still out there.
In Grafton WV there was a white Superbird sitting in a closed Chrysler dealership showroom, it was there for years.
It was still there in the mid 90's, then one day it was gone and a oil and gas company moved in the building.

Either way if it sells for $300k all of our cars will rise in value dramatically !

-
Back