This project is exhausting....

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I'm sloooowly (and not so surely) getting my '66 Barracuda assembled. I bought it unassembled in December. It was originally a 273 2bbl auto & I intend to keep it that way. The engine seems to run fine (can't drive it yet). I have the factory exhaust manifolds, but nothing after them. I've always loved the unique rectangular Formula S 'box'
IMG_20190807_145659832.jpg
exhaust & was giving some thought to installing something that would at least resemble that in sound and appearance (I already know it won't match the S in performance). I've seen a Formula S 'kit' for around $1,000, which is a bit steep for me. Anyone know of a cheaper Plan "B" for my desire to have an exhaust that resembles an "S" instead of this pea-shooter??
Thanks!

It's been done with a rain gutter.....not pretty but also not round.....

I don’t think there’s a lot of choices.
A local shop might be able to make a single or dual system for you and you could just use the reproduction rear resonator.

Check Rockauto, they have small block V8 head pipes for the single exhausts, also have tail pipes too very reasonable, then just make up what is needed in between.

Some other A Body model years may fit too, might have to do some fabricating along with that to save yourself some money.

Got a 318 headpipe and tail pipe through them for a 70s truck. Quite reasonable.

I don’t think there’s a lot of choices.
A local shop might be able to make a single or dual system for you and you could just use the reproduction rear resonator.
I did talk to a local shop. He said he could do the Y-pipe for $250 & the rest for another $250 (plus the cost of whatever resonator (or resonator imposter) I selected).

Check Rockauto, they have small block V8 head pipes for the single exhausts, also have tail pipes too very reasonable, then just make up what is needed in between.

Some other A Body model years may fit too, might have to do some fabricating along with that to save yourself some money.

Got a 318 headpipe and tail pipe through them for a 70s truck. Quite reasonable.
Will do. I've heard they're a good resource.

Will do. I've heard they're a good resource.
Yes, it was like under 100 for the Y and tail pipe including shipping.

Y pipes for the A Bodies all the way to 76, may work.

Have to look into those and see if they will dump out where you want it to.

Small block B body one has a chance of working too ??? If you are having trouble finding one.

Small block, is small block A or B . . .

I see Rockauto has the tailpipes for 66 Darts: Walker #44168, 273/318s all the way up to 74 same part number. $15.08 + ship

Don't see the 273/318 Y Pipes though. There are some 360 Y pipes on ebay but have different angles up at the heads.

Here is a picture of a 318 Y pipe I got at a swap meet. Angles at the heads are at the same slant for both L & R banks. Might help you locate or make one. Kind of nice the outlet is 2 1/4" OD, 2 1/8" ID (keeping this one)

20190814_071914.jpg

A Body Tail Pipe, Walker 44168
44168.jpg

If you can find a GOOD exhaust shop in your area that would be my first choice. A shop years ago fabricated a Formula S style single for my 66 cuda using larger diameter from the head pipes going into 3 inch all the way back. I used a piece
of 4 inch heavy wall round stainless pipe and "crushed" in in a vice to oval it out
and slash cut the end to replicate the factory look,with a 3 inch Flowmaster 50
muffler, it sounds a performs great with the mild 318 LA roller.
If no luck finding a GOOD shop... you will know if the exhaust guy seems "iffy" when
you explain what you want to do, then move on. next I would get an Accurate Y
pipe which is the same diameter as OEM but improved collector. I have this Y on
another 66, It also works great with a 2.5 all the way out and cheap Summit Turbo
style 2.5 muffler.
Neither of the above is cheap! Probably could put together a dual system for less$$
But if your after the unique look and sound of the original single? For high HP a dual
might be the way to go, mild 318, 273 good, hot 360 nay.
Exhaust manifolds are limiting above maybe 325 HP, if you decide to keep them and go single exhaust take some time and port the crap out them.
Single is also lighter and sound better IMO, no other car made in that era that Im aware of had this type exhaust. Good luck

I'm sloooowly (and not so surely) getting my '66 Barracuda assembled. I bought it unassembled in December. It was originally a 273 2bbl auto & I intend to keep it that way. The engine seems to run fine (can't drive it yet). I have the factory exhaust manifolds, but nothing after them. I've always loved the unique rectangular Formula S 'box' View attachment 1715377877 exhaust & was giving some thought to installing something that would at least resemble that in sound and appearance (I already know it won't match the S in performance). I've seen a Formula S 'kit' for around $1,000, which is a bit steep for me. Anyone know of a cheaper Plan "B" for my desire to have an exhaust that resembles an "S" instead of this pea-shooter??
Thanks!

Waldrons exhaust has complete aluminized kit minus resonator. Price shows 415.00, cheapest I've seen.

If you can find a GOOD exhaust shop in your area that would be my first choice. A shop years ago fabricated a Formula S style single for my 66 cuda using larger diameter from the head pipes going into 3 inch all the way back. I used a piece
of 4 inch heavy wall round stainless pipe and "crushed" in in a vice to oval it out
and slash cut the end to replicate the factory look,with a 3 inch Flowmaster 50
muffler, it sounds a performs great with the mild 318 LA roller.
If no luck finding a GOOD shop... you will know if the exhaust guy seems "iffy" when
you explain what you want to do, then move on. next I would get an Accurate Y
pipe which is the same diameter as OEM but improved collector. I have this Y on
another 66, It also works great with a 2.5 all the way out and cheap Summit Turbo
style 2.5 muffler.
Neither of the above is cheap! Probably could put together a dual system for less$$
But if your after the unique look and sound of the original single? For high HP a dual
might be the way to go, mild 318, 273 good, hot 360 nay.
Exhaust manifolds are limiting above maybe 325 HP, if you decide to keep them and go single exhaust take some time and port the crap out them.
Single is also lighter and sound better IMO, no other car made in that era that Im aware of had this type exhaust. Good luck
Thanks for the insight & advice. I was hoping I'd have a win-win with the Formula S look that I wanted & save some $$ because it was a single exhaust....oh well!

-
Back