This weekends project ( if my parts are all here by then)

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
I am doing a bit of an upgrade in the next week or two, depending on when my parts get here.

I have obtained a 2bbl Manifold, and a Carter bbd, designed I believe for a 273 2bbl. I also have purchased the lokar Kickdown Linkage/Cable.

I am still waiting on a set of Split headers I bought on e-bay, to see if they are going to fit or if I am just going to have to sell them.

Here are some pics of what I bought:

2bbl Intake 1.jpg

2bbl intake 2.jpg

Carb 1.jpg

Carb 2.jpg

Carb 3.jpg

Headers.jpg

Lokar Kickdown.jpg

Now for my questions, My car was a 273 2bbl from the factory, but someone in the history of my car put a slant in it.

How do i determine if I currently have a slant or v-8 throttle cable?

can I just put an egr block off plate over the egr hole?

Any tips for doing the conversion?

I tried to find the simplest Carb I could as my slant is an older one with no smog stuff Etc. This carb has a fuel inlet, a PCV connection, and a Vac. advance.

Robb Adams

RobbAdams said:
Now for my questions, My car was a 273 2bbl from the factory, but someone in the history of my car put a slant in it.

How do i determine if I currently have a slant or v-8 throttle cable?

can I just put an egr block off plate over the egr hole?

Any tips for doing the conversion?

I tried to find the simplest Carb I could as my slant is an older one with no smog stuff Etc. This carb has a fuel inlet, a PCV connection, and a Vac. advance.

Robb Adams
i know u can put an egr block off plate on, i did it to my six when i had it, i just cut the egr line off pinched it together then brazed it shut worked really good :) What year of car do you have, if its the old non cable design(lever) you will need a cable, im unsure about if the cables are different slant vs v8.
good luck with it all

I deffinately has a Cable for the throttle, the motor is not year correcect for my '66. it is an earlier style though with only a pvc, and and the other tube that leads to the aircleaner from the valve cover. Motor has spark plug tubes so I know it is at least pre 73. and with the pvc only for emmissions i believe that places it pre '70.

Robb

I've heard a lot people say they just loop the 1bbl throttle cable instead of switching to the V8 (super six) cable. I switched to a V8 cable anyway — they aren't expensive or hard to find. I didn't want to risk the cable binding.

You can flip the egr valve 180 deg if you want to seal it.I never did it that way (UGLY).Make a simple plate with some high temp gasket material,two bolts and your done.

The V8 cable is shorter then the slant cable.Mock everything up first,your V8 cable should work.

The swap is pretty straight forward,the hardest part will be the kickdown linkage.Take your time,mock it up and it will all come together.

The carb you chose (Carter BBD) is my favorite carb for the super six.

Have fun with it.
When your done with it it will be time to upgrade to a 4bbl. :thumbup:

Picture 264.jpg

OK upon more investigation, there will be nowhere to mount the throttle cable bracket, once the headers are in any suggestions? how about the choke?

Robb

Go over to www.slantsix.org

Great site for slant sixers.

They have a tech section on the super six conversion with pics.Click on articles.

Also alot of very knowledgeable people.

Here is how I had it set up when I was running a BBD. I just bolted the throttle/kick down bracket to the bottom of the intake
Done.JPG

Here is how I have it now
MVC-005F.JPG

-
Back